Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
So if your FIL needs a bit of legal advice will you give him "mates rates" or charge the full amount and maybe some out of hours fees?
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
He recently needed something doing for a re-mortgage. He came into the office on a normal workday and I did it FOC. But that was my prerogative (and my director's prerogative), he didn't expect me to do it for nothing.
I think there's a significant difference between "doing something for a re-mortgage" and "a bit of legal advice". I think many people wouldn't expect to pay for 5 minutes of advice over the phone but, as you say, they would expect to pay if someone helped them out with some paperwork in their office.

Most of us are usually fairly happy to give out a bit of advice relating to our job (or not) for free. However, most of us wouldn't actually do something for free. So, for example, I would expect a builder to give out a quote and some ideas about a job for free whereas I would expect to pay him if he actually did that job.

I guess it all comes down to the amount of time and effort required. If it takes less than 10 minutes and very little effort then it's free. If it's going to take an hour or more and require some effort then please book an appointment.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

I would say to your OH that he can ask his co-worker/friend to make an appointment like everyone else and explain there will be expectations from you about reimbursement for your time. Oh and remember weekends are family time so make it clear that appointments are only scheduled Mon-Fri.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
Good for her. I am guessing she is newly qualified. After 27 years post qual the novelty soon wears off !
Nope 31 years in the job and no plans to retire yet. She has her own practice, has 3 other solicitors working for her and they have the same attitude as her.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List