Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t see why anyone should give anything away free that is their wage. It may only be 5 mins on the phone but where do you draw the line? If it was family or a good friend then of course I’d expect to help, but if it’s just someone who’s heard that’s your job then why do you owe them a favour and do yourself out of your wage or just time out of your free time?
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We ve got gp friends who get this all the time
I’ve made extra effort to not ask them for medical advice as it most be so annoying for them
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
At least you're not a nurse - people you hardly know often ask advice and show you bits of their bodies
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I must be in the minority here,because I also work long hours & can go months without a day off work,but this would not bother me in the slightest.
It’s nice to be nice & I would never hesitate to do someone a favour ,even if it puts me out.
I always think,that I may be the one,needing a favour next time & that’s what I live by.
It may be a 5 minute phonecall,that could be taken with your feet up,with a wine in your hand.
Just my opinion,but can’t see why you would be raging.
Tracy x
It’s not a favour when it’s your job though is it? If I took that attitude with everyone, I’d be out of a job. I’m also not insured to give advice outside of a specific remit. Sitting at home drinking wine whilst I tell a total stranger how to fix their problem is well outside. Not to mention I already do my bit for the people who need it, as 90% of my paid workload is legal aid, which not many are prepared to do anymore as the pay is poor. In addition I’m frequently doing things which benefit my clients but which aren’t covered and I won’t get paid for. That’s fine, that’s the job I chose (and love). Doing favours for people I’ve never met or spoken to who are in jobs paying well in excess of mine is not!
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
At least you're not a nurse - people you hardly know often ask advice and show you bits of their bodies
I’m definitely grateful for that Good reason to keep your occupation quiet, as I try to. Though maybe the6 collar you when in your uniform?

I’ve realised this lad probably figured out my job as husband posted on a social run post recently saying he had to pull out as I was stuck at the police station. He’s been asked to just say I’m still at work if it happens again
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
Was just going to post the same. I've had patients totally shocked to see me in Tesco actually buying food and not at work😆 People ask me about a scrotal abscess while I eat a meal in a restaurant 😬
I make cakes only for family I keep that one very secret in my work life. I've lost count how many times I've been asked if I can make a free cake . My sister is a ta in a school. Gave up hairdressing years ago. Has been asked countless times to bring in her scissors and just do a quick free cut in her lunch break.
The answer would be here is the tel number of the practice.

Edited at 09:01 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
It’s not a favour when it’s your job though is it? If I took that attitude with everyone, I’d be out of a job. I’m also not insured to give advice outside of a specific remit. Sitting at home drinking wine whilst I tell a total stranger how to fix their problem is well outside. Not to mention I already do my bit for the people who need it, as 90% of my paid workload is legal aid, which not many are prepared to do anymore as the pay is poor. In addition I’m frequently doing things which benefit my clients but which aren’t covered and I won’t get paid for. That’s fine, that’s the job I chose (and love). Doing favours for people I’ve never met or spoken to who are in jobs paying well in excess of mine is not!
We can certainly agree to disagree,after all it’s not for everyone,so no way would you be out of a job.
It’s for 1 person,who is an acquaintance of your husbands.
The wine in your hand,was not to be literal,it was more to make the point,that I wouldn’t find it a big deal.
Tracy x
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Personally I would speak to him, but just say that you are sorry but you are not insured to advise him unless it’s official business through your firm. I always say I can’t speak about anything work related unless they make an appointment as it is not allowed. (This IS the truth).

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
Yes, train your DH to hand out a business card and say call during office hours.

My bookkeeper is amazing at recovering debts. The amount of "friends" she's helped for barely a thanks!
My wife has failed to “train” me to do anything...ever!
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
We can certainly agree to disagree,after all it’s not for everyone,so no way would you be out of a job.
It’s for 1 person,who is an acquaintance of your husbands.
The wine in your hand,was not to be literal,it was more to make the point,that I wouldn’t find it a big deal.
Tracy x
We will have to agree to disagree. I live in a small place, I’m often asked if I’m Mike’s daughter or Moore’s Granddaughter etc. My husband has gone running with this guy, in a group, a couple of times. I’ve never spoken to him. If he met the threshold for favours, so would half of the people I meet!

It’s not like I say no to everyone. Another running buddy is separating from his wife. I gave him a list of suggested practical steps to take, a list of things to think about and 2 recommendations for a mediator. But he’s a friend, and that’s the difference.

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Personally I would speak to him, but just say that you are sorry but you are not insured to advise him unless it’s official business through your firm. I always say I can’t speak about anything work related unless they make an appointment as it is not allowed. (This IS the truth).
Husband passed the message on for me. I wasn’t prepared to speak to him today. I’ve learned that if you don’t set rules for yourself, such as not taking calls or looking at emails on particular days or during particular periods, then you never switch off. Everyone needs a break. If I don’t look after myself sometimes, I can’t look after my clients.

As an aside, and this has no bearing on my stance, my caseload is bursting at the seams, I can’t take anything else on at the moment and I am turning away good quality work everyday. No complaints though, busy is good.