Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Oct 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
flickr/photos/hollyw...n/photostream/

We stayed here on OBT in about 1985 with Airtours, it was fab. not a bit racey!
Wow! Things have certainly changed a bit since then. Nowadays, while this isn't in the most seedy part of the OBT, the hotel (the former Gold Key Inn) has degenerated into the 'Great Value Suites', which are neither great, value or even suites, realistically. This is the kind of place you would seriously avoid like the proverbial plague today as a visitor

wftv/news/9-investig...otel/467364665
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
Cringe: as a kid, the following things-
Having to endure the smoking section at the back of the plane.
Getting to watch a tiny overhead TV about 5 seats away with only one film option
Doing 3 indirect flights (15hrs) just to get there as we flew from Norwich.
Having to go to a timeshare presentation for half a day just to get free Disney tickets.

Smile: This is the norm now, but one of my earliest and fondest memories is from communicore at Epcot in 1993 and getting to play with touchscreen computers... 26 years on most of us are probably viewing this on a touchscreen device, but it was unheard of at the time.
Definitely a major Cringe! But I also remember when the arrival of IFE, no matter how small or distant (or limited!) the TVs, was still an absolute boon. My first long-haul flight was in 1966 and there wasn't the hint of anything to entertain you, apart from what you took!

And do you remember the 'video' phones at Epcot, which put you in touch with a Cast Member to make dining reservations, etc? How futuristic was that?! And now we have Skype and don't think a thing of it.
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MOUSEMARSH View Post
Cringe: Flying to Fort Lauderdale with Airtours on the Orion Air Flying Pig via Bangor, TV's in the Aisle showing 1 film at a time on some form of VHS cassette.

Smile: 3 extra days holiday at Fort Lauderdale Hilton fully paid by Airtours and then a cheque for £50 per person when we got home due to the plane breaking down each time it flew
That Fort Lauderdale flight would have been on an original A300 Airbus (brought into use in 1974 as the first wide-body twin-engined passenger plane). It had a pretty solid reliability history, although I had to look up Orion Airlines (part of Horizon Travel in the 1980s). They had a pretty chequered history!

It sounds like you got extra value from them in the end, though!
Old 24 Oct 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

1989, on our first trip, we went up to Church Street Station. We came off the I4 and DH took the wrong lane so we drove around the outside of the carpark and ended up in a housing estate. Gangs of men sitting on the kerbs, some with guns in their hands, we were the only white faces and they all stood and watched us. Told the children to lock their doors and get down and DH not to stop to turn around. We just drove in a straight line until we felt safer.

We used to love Gander. It meant we were nearly there. In more recent years the music getting off the plane - Coming to America - always sent a shiver up my spine. Haven’t noticed it recently.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
That Fort Lauderdale flight would have been on an original A300 Airbus (brought into use in 1974 as the first wide-body twin-engined passenger plane). It had a pretty solid reliability history, although I had to look up Orion Airlines (part of Horizon Travel in the 1980s). They had a pretty chequered history!

It sounds like you got extra value from them in the end, though!
We did, made think and recall the brief trippy I put together, see it here loads of smiles and maybe cringes!
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=mousemarsh

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by paw View Post
1989, on our first trip, we went up to Church Street Station. We came off the I4 and DH took the wrong lane so we drove around the outside of the carpark and ended up in a housing estate. Gangs of men sitting on the kerbs, some with guns in their hands, we were the only white faces and they all stood and watched us. Told the children to lock their doors and get down and DH not to stop to turn around. We just drove in a straight line until we felt safer.

We used to love Gander. It meant we were nearly there. In more recent years the music getting off the plane - Coming to America - always sent a shiver up my spine. Haven’t noticed it recently.
Yup, that was probably Parramore back back when it was REALLY not the place to visit. It's come a long way from that level of hostility and is actually now where the Orlando City soccer stadium is!

Not so sure that Gander was a Smile, though! I guess it WAS a good sign that Orlando was next ( ) but it just felt like an eternity, especially when other airlines flew direct
Old 25 Oct 19, 02:29 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MOUSEMARSH View Post
We did, made think and recall the brief trippy I put together, see it here loads of smiles and maybe cringes!
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=mousemarsh
Boardwalk & Baseball - that's a real blast from the past! And the Skyway at the Magic Kingdom. Classic old Orlando attractions
Old 25 Oct 19, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

Boardwalk & Baseball - that's a real blast from the past! And the Skyway at the Magic Kingdom. Classic old Orlando attractions
I remember going to Circus World, before it became Boardwalk and Baseball!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

And do you remember the 'video' phones at Epcot, which put you in touch with a Cast Member to make dining reservations, etc? How futuristic was that?! And now we have Skype and don't think a thing of it.
Unfortunately I never got to experience WorldKey in the post show to SSE, probably because I was at the mercy of my parents and we didn't do all the dining stuff. However I know a lot about it, because since I first went I've been a massive Epcot nerd

But you are right, when you look at the ideas they had then, and the fact they managed to pull it off is a testament to how innovative they were back then

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015

Edited at 03:09 PM.
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 04:02 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by AlisonB View Post
I remember going to Circus World, before it became Boardwalk and Baseball!
OK, that wins the award for going furthest back in Orlando history, lol! (apart from Susan, who went to the Magic Kingdom during its first year - but she was only 9!).

Circus World opened in 1974, and closed in 1986, before B&B took over on that site. Sadly, the baseball theme lasted even less time than the Circus one. It opened in 1987 and closed in 1990!