Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post

I can't find a job - update 21Nov - I now have a job

Rant warning ...

I am looking for a job, I am not working at the moment. I had breast cancer in Jan 2017, off work 7 months, returned asap after end of chemo. Work was very supportive (in line with HR policy) when I was off. Phased return was difficult but then when I tried to take school holidays with DSs work was not allowing it. I aksed to reduce my hours slightly to allow me to drop DS (10) at school 3 mornings a week they said no. So I left in May 18, after 9 years loyal service with 1 sick day leading up to cancer diagnosis.

Now looking to return to work. I have applied for approx 30 jobs in the last year - part time. It takes ages to fill out all the forms, write a cover letter for each company and then nothing. I have had 1 interview in June which I came 2nd, might as well as come last. It was in a school, they had someone else (a parent) in mind as she turned up in jeans and vest top for interview after me.

Is this what it is like out there getting jobs? Most places don't acknowledge the application, some do but not short listed and no reason given. I had an informal phone chat yesterday to sift out those for short list. They said I am over qualified, I am not, it was office admin and I don't have a degree, just experience.

Feeling frustrated and all I want to do is work.

Sorry, rant over.

Edited at 03:16 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Brexit is causing a big slow down in recruitment. I have a number of IT contractor friends on the bench ( unemployed)

It’s even more difficult trying to find a part time job. Sometimes (especially public sector roles) it is worth applying for full time roles and then trying to negotiate part time hours once you have secured a role.

Good luck
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

It sounds like you’ve had a tough couple of years and after applying for so many jobs it’s only natural to feel disheartened. Could you perhaps work voluntarily until you find something? My brother did this after he struggled to find a job after Uni and he somehow ended up getting a job with someone he met doing the volunteer work. Obviously, he was lucky for that to happen but it might open doors that were previously closed. Good luck in your search. ☺️
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

aww man, sorry I don’t know what to say beyond keep trying. Drop your C.V. and a covering letter to all the local agencies, and keep an eye out on the websites for all the local supermarkets?
I know it sounds mad but can you ‘dumb down’ your previous experience (call your self an administrator rather then an office manager ect.) my dad had to do that to get people to consider him for lesser roles a fair few years ago as potential employers saw him getting bored where as he wanted the lower down role to move to working closer to home.
School roles are very hard to get so don’t get disheartened by that experience ( she probably already ‘had’ the job when she interviewed)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Sorry about your problems finding a job, keep positive & keep applying I’m sure something will come up for you
I think that a lot of companies don’t even send an email or letter now regarding the job, very disheartening.
Good luck
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

I would definitely make sure you're adapting your CV to the role offered. Look at what they're asking for experience/skills wise and use those or very similar terms in your CV. A lot of larger companies use automated paper sifts, and even those that don't will have some sort of ideal template they'll mark you against.

Don't give up, and the very best of luck.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d suggest agencies may sift more so your applications actually get looked at by employers but it is tough especially for part time at the moment.
Ideally I wanted part time but eventually took a home working role which worked better overall.

Edited at 07:08 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

I have been looking for a job for the last 5 weeks it is hard I joined every agency near me. I have now secured a job it is not ideal but its a job the only thing putting me off is the hours. I am currently waiting to find out about an assessment and interview last Friday but it could take unto 10 days to find out. Now this job I did not apply for they called me to see if I was interested for in job I had put my CV on CV library. If I was you see if you can find voluntary work this is what my daughter done as she as a lot of medical problems at the moment so the fact she is voluntary as taken some pressure off her and she is meeting people.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone. I have sent CV to a few local agencies 2 weeks ago but not heard from them.

I would be happy to do voluntary work but DH has had his redundancy confirmed last week so one of us needs to earn some cash. He has been setting himself up freelance/self employed (previously did this for 18 years before taking at PAYE job after my cancer treatment) but obviously that will take a few months to earn money. He lost a lot of clients whilst I was ill so he is trying to re-establish these and find work.

Anyway one of us needs to earn some cash, we have savings so are ok for now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Sorry about your problems finding a job, keep positive & keep applying I’m sure something will come up for you
I think that a lot of companies don’t even send an email or letter now regarding the job, very disheartening.
Good luck
my son has been applying for part time jobs , he told me yesterday that he applied for a job at the shop my sister manages some time ago and he never received a response and thats family