Notices

Old 18 Apr 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

So Chris and I have been up all night crunching numbers and dates. We've come up with the following 2 options:

First:

2 weeks in September, nothing changes apart from it's 2 weeks instead of 19 nights. We still get the free QSDP and staying at POR. We should get around £1k back as it's cheaper than what we've paid.

Second:

19 nights in October. Only problem is POR isn't available. We can only do All Star Music with the free breakfast not the QSDP and flying indirect (first for us!) we should get around £300 back as its cheaper than what we've paid.

Which would you do? I loved POR so really want to go back there, plus I like having the QSDP. Upgrading to the QSDP isn't worth it for us as the kids usually share meals and we definitely wouldn't get the value for money. I estimate we'd probably spend around $2000 over the 19 nights on food plus we'd have our gift cards for almost $300. I'm sure I'd be able to keep checking with Disney to see if a room at POR comes up and maybe change?

I'm going to call Virgin tomorrow so any help would be greatly appreciated! X
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
So Chris and I have been up all night crunching numbers and dates. We've come up with the following 2 options:

First:

2 weeks in September, nothing changes apart from it's 2 weeks instead of 19 nights. We still get the free QSDP and staying at POR. We should get around £1k back as it's cheaper than what we've paid.

Second:

19 nights in October. Only problem is POR isn't available. We can only do All Star Music with the free breakfast not the QSDP and flying indirect (first for us!) we should get around £300 back as its cheaper than what we've paid.

Which would you do? I loved POR so really want to go back there, plus I like having the QSDP. Upgrading to the QSDP isn't worth it for us as the kids usually share meals and we definitely wouldn't get the value for money. I estimate we'd probably spend around $2000 over the 19 nights on food plus we'd have our gift cards for almost $300. I'm sure I'd be able to keep checking with Disney to see if a room at POR comes up and maybe change?

I'm going to call Virgin tomorrow so any help would be greatly appreciated! X
I’d probably do the two weeks in September - yes it’s rubbish it’s only two weeks but you’re getting a lot more money back, plus staying in the resort you want to, plus the QSDP.

That said, I suppose it doesn’t hurt to keep checking with POR for October.
It’s such a difficult situation isn’t it - but I think the first option leaves you with as little change to your original plans as possible x
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Do they have any moderates available in October at all?

I would want the piece of mind of having full QSDP so would be tempted to go for September as you'd also get to stay at your resort of your choice, plus flying direct is SO much easier. AND the money you would save would cover your holiday spends.

BUT that said it would really niggle at me losing the 4 extra nights. I suppose we would have to view this as an 'extra' trip rather than a replacement and just write those nights off.

It is such an impossible situation, I suppose you put your sensible hat on perhaps October is a more savvy choice as it buys more time for things to get back to normal?
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Oh Kelly that's a tough choice. I'm inclined to go with the option of September and accept the loss of the nights. I'd want the holiday to be as close to what I'd planned and this way you don't have the hassle of indirect and you get to stay in the hotel you want.

Good luck with your phone call to virgin today. I've been worrying about the idea that my holiday is all DIY and that will be a hassle to have to sort out as it's booked with lots of different companies. I hope that virgin are being helpful with the options you have and can help you get your holiday back on track.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie52
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Glad to read an update from you Kelly, have been thinking of you and wondering how you were all getting on. Glad the kids seem to be doing okay. They are resilient little things!

Dan has been doing all our shopping and I haven't even left the house as I'm too scared I will have an anxiety attack 😔 I'm sure I am making it worse for myself for when I actually have to go and do it though. I am glad you are starting to feel more positive after yours though.

It's so good that work are supportive it's a shame that you are no further forward with the uni but hopefully you get there. Its just not the time you want this sort of worry hanging over your head.

Ah I really feel for all the little kiddies who are having birthdays during this time. I hope Noah has a wonderful day and you all enjoy celebrating. Ellie will be 7 this year too 😢 I am sure I blinked and missed a few years in between.

Good luck with virgin today, I hope they are helpful and manage to get it sorted for you. I would be inclined to go for September as well I think despite the drop in nights. At least you are getting the hotel you want and some refund to compensate for the lost nights. Plus you will still have the dining. Hope you manage to get a resolution whatever you decide xx
DLP Halloween 2021 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLP Nov 2022 - Les Villages Natures
minnie52 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Thank you all so much I'll reply properly once I've spoken to Virgin. I have a feeling option 2 will be taken out of our hands because the dates don't include free dining (after 3rd Oct) but a text I got from virgin said Disney were extending it to the end of October hence why we looked at those dates.

I'm sure virgin will come up with completely different figures 😂 so I'll see what they say 🤞 xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi Kelly, for me it would be option one even though it’s shorter it’ll be what you wanted in all other aspects. Ie; direct flights, POR and full QS dinning.

On another note I’m sorry I’ve not commented much as I’m really struggling hanging around the pre-trip and trip report forums with all that’s going on. I’m trying not to get my hopes up about our August trip incase it doesn’t happen. ☹️ And don’t really know how to express all that goes with it. It’s like we’ve pressed pause on all our lives! 😩

Just need to stay positive and look on the bright side, we are all well and there will be other times?! 🤞🏼

Take care, and good luck with what you decide.

Kat x
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi Kelly really hope the call with VH goes well. I would obviously want to be in Disney for as long as possible but having travelled with a child with ASD I would always take the direct flight if possible. My own DS also has medical needs which complicate matters but he definitely prefers to just get there and gets stressed if there are any changes etc...
So sorry about your holiday in May. We are due to fly in July and can’t decide what to do... TA have given us an extra 2 weeks to pay balance so got to decide by end of May when the villa balance will also be due... I’m tempted to change to August but not sure why an extra couple of weeks will make a difference...? Also worried re impact of rescheduling on travel insurance etc! Any help on this appreciated!
Hope Noah has a wonderful birthday tomorrow and really hope you get your holiday sorted today. October is a wonderful time of year to be there as you know so whichever one you choose will be fab!
Take care
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Hi Kelly, I hope you're having a wonderful day celebrating Noah's birthday.

Ooh, that's a difficult decision regarding rescheduling your holiday. I think I would go for September as it's closer to your original holiday even though it's a few days shorter. Also, it gives me hope if new bookings are being taken for then, as we're hoping to reschedule our Route 66 trip for September as well!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arosiem View Post
I’d probably do the two weeks in September - yes it’s rubbish it’s only two weeks but you’re getting a lot more money back, plus staying in the resort you want to, plus the QSDP.

That said, I suppose it doesn’t hurt to keep checking with POR for October.
It’s such a difficult situation isn’t it - but I think the first option leaves you with as little change to your original plans as possible x
It's so hard. We had our heart set on 19 nights, much more relaxed, trip to Clearwater etc so I can see why Chris is really keen for changing to October with All Star Music X

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Do they have any moderates available in October at all?

I would want the piece of mind of having full QSDP so would be tempted to go for September as you'd also get to stay at your resort of your choice, plus flying direct is SO much easier. AND the money you would save would cover your holiday spends.

BUT that said it would really niggle at me losing the 4 extra nights. I suppose we would have to view this as an 'extra' trip rather than a replacement and just write those nights off.

It is such an impossible situation, I suppose you put your sensible hat on perhaps October is a more savvy choice as it buys more time for things to get back to normal?
Nope there's no moderates at all for our dates, we're tied to a certain date due to the kid's and school and need to be back before the end of October as Chris has a wedding.

That's what I'm thinking, as much as I'd love to do the 19 nights, it's not worth it for the compromise I don't think. I did say to Chris we could look at extending our January trip as it is only 12 days. Or we could keep the money and use it to book a night at Clearwater and more spends for our December/January trip ... so many choices. Not good with Chris who can't make decisions haha x

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Oh Kelly that's a tough choice. I'm inclined to go with the option of September and accept the loss of the nights. I'd want the holiday to be as close to what I'd planned and this way you don't have the hassle of indirect and you get to stay in the hotel you want.

Good luck with your phone call to virgin today. I've been worrying about the idea that my holiday is all DIY and that will be a hassle to have to sort out as it's booked with lots of different companies. I hope that virgin are being helpful with the options you have and can help you get your holiday back on track.
I think the general consensus is September which is what I would prefer too.

I still have everything crossed for you Abby, things are looking a little more positive right now xx

Originally Posted by minnie52 View Post
Glad to read an update from you Kelly, have been thinking of you and wondering how you were all getting on. Glad the kids seem to be doing okay. They are resilient little things!

Dan has been doing all our shopping and I haven't even left the house as I'm too scared I will have an anxiety attack 😔 I'm sure I am making it worse for myself for when I actually have to go and do it though. I am glad you are starting to feel more positive after yours though.

It's so good that work are supportive it's a shame that you are no further forward with the uni but hopefully you get there. Its just not the time you want this sort of worry hanging over your head.

Ah I really feel for all the little kiddies who are having birthdays during this time. I hope Noah has a wonderful day and you all enjoy celebrating. Ellie will be 7 this year too 😢 I am sure I blinked and missed a few years in between.

Good luck with virgin today, I hope they are helpful and manage to get it sorted for you. I would be inclined to go for September as well I think despite the drop in nights. At least you are getting the hotel you want and some refund to compensate for the lost nights. Plus you will still have the dining. Hope you manage to get a resolution whatever you decide xx
The kids are amazing, shame it couldn't be said for me haha! Hope you're all well too .

Well done Dan. Chris has barely left the house since all of this, he has health anxiety anyway so is struggling. Every little cough and he think's we have CV. Luckily we've managed to get some ASDA shopping slots. To get myself back out there I'm going to head to the post office tomorrow as I need to send Noah's ASD diagnosis letter off to CAMH's for his ADHD assessment, so I'm hoping going to a small shop that won't be as busy might not be as daunting.

Uni's really annoying me but at least I have extensions till September, but I can almost guarantee I won't be getting that First these last assignments are going to count towards our grades but we will see.

They grow so fast, I spent most the morning looking back at photos of when he was born and his previous birthday's and cried, they grow so quickly he's had an awesome day and has gone to bed a very happy little boy

September is definitely coming out the most popular option x

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Hi Kelly, for me it would be option one even though it’s shorter it’ll be what you wanted in all other aspects. Ie; direct flights, POR and full QS dinning.

On another note I’m sorry I’ve not commented much as I’m really struggling hanging around the pre-trip and trip report forums with all that’s going on. I’m trying not to get my hopes up about our August trip incase it doesn’t happen. ☹️ And don’t really know how to express all that goes with it. It’s like we’ve pressed pause on all our lives! 😩

Just need to stay positive and look on the bright side, we are all well and there will be other times?! 🤞🏼

Take care, and good luck with what you decide.

Kat x
Yeah I definitely think this is what we're going to go for, unless Virgin somehow have access to moderate resorts for our dates, although I doubt it.

Please don't apologise, I understand exactly what you mean. The last few weeks I've really struggled also. In fact I messaged Abby as I didn't want her thinking I was liking her posts but not replying. It's so hard when you're uncertain if things will go ahead. As I said to Abby earlier I have everything crossed for your trip xx

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Hi Kelly really hope the call with VH goes well. I would obviously want to be in Disney for as long as possible but having travelled with a child with ASD I would always take the direct flight if possible. My own DS also has medical needs which complicate matters but he definitely prefers to just get there and gets stressed if there are any changes etc...
So sorry about your holiday in May. We are due to fly in July and can’t decide what to do... TA have given us an extra 2 weeks to pay balance so got to decide by end of May when the villa balance will also be due... I’m tempted to change to August but not sure why an extra couple of weeks will make a difference...? Also worried re impact of rescheduling on travel insurance etc! Any help on this appreciated!
Hope Noah has a wonderful birthday tomorrow and really hope you get your holiday sorted today. October is a wonderful time of year to be there as you know so whichever one you choose will be fab!
Take care
Thank you for your message Buggles. This was one of the things putting me off October, as much as Noah coped well with the flight etc, he really struggles with the airport process (security, waiting to board etc) and as we've never done indirect before it's all a little unknown too. I think we're probably going to try and go for September now anyway.

If I were you guys I'd wait until you need pay. It's good the TA have given you 2 extra weeks. I honestly think by the end of May we will have some sort of idea what the future holds. I will keep everything crossed your trip can go ahead.

In regards to insurance, I would check with them. From what I've heard you can't take out new insurance right now. We have ours through the bank and we're covered for any cancellations Virgin wouldn't give us back, however, I do need to call and ask what will happen if we rearrange. I know if we cancel and rebook they won't cover for Covid-19. Is your's an annual policy or a one off policy?

We really enjoyed October 2018 but it seems October is going to be really busy so might not be an option for us after all x

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Hi Kelly, I hope you're having a wonderful day celebrating Noah's birthday.

Ooh, that's a difficult decision regarding rescheduling your holiday. I think I would go for September as it's closer to your original holiday even though it's a few days shorter. Also, it gives me hope if new bookings are being taken for then, as we're hoping to reschedule our Route 66 trip for September as well!
Hi Lynda I think it's definitely going to be September. I hope you manage to get your Route 66 trip rebooked, I was really looking forward to following along too!

Thank you all for your input I really appreciate it. I think we're going to go with September for 2 weeks. With the price difference I might even look into upgrading us to the DDP again ...

In regards to VH not much luck yet. They won't speak on the phone until your 72 hours prior to departure dates. I have contacted them via WhatsApp and they asked for me to confirm my details for security which I did but still waiting for a reply. I understand that they're busy but it's starting to annoy me that people who are travelling June onwards are managing to get their trips changed. I'm getting more concious of the prices of our dates increasing, the flight price has already increased since Friday night! Hoping they get in touch again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Noah's had a brilliant day, he's fast asleep now. He does have a bust lip as he was messing with Thomas last night and fell and hit his lip off the table in the living room last night! We've played pass the parcel, musical statues and musical chairs ... although we only managed 1 round of this as Thomas flung his arms out and hit Noah's mouth and his lip bust open again. We've ate cake and played Micromachines and Bubsy on the old Sega Megadrive

Chris wanted to make Noah's cake so I supervised but it is lovely! Hope you're all well and had a nice weekend x

Edited at 08:42 PM.