Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Jun 18, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies - Canada 2018. Travel day GLA - YYZ

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies, Canada 2018.
Travel Day

I’m Emily, my husband is Gary and this was our first overseas holiday with our 17 month Libby. We visited family near Toronto and spent a few days in Montreal too.

Before I start I have to confess, compared to our honeymoon trip I found taking notes for a trip report so much harder this time. At the moment I’m constantly looking for or thinking about our little escape artist and what she needs/wants or what she’s touching/climbing/doing that she shouldn't be, so it took a lot more effort to remember to take notes! That said, I managed to make some every day so hopefully they’ll jog my memory .

The reason behind the title of this report should become evident as we go on. Libby is a full blown crazy toddler, she is absolutely hilarious and at such a wonderful age but we’re all learning new things every day, including how to handle her craziness and toddler tantrums! We also had a Tim Hortons every single day except 1 haha.

Photos are a mixture from my iPhone, Gary’s newer iPhone (as in, a week old iPhone 8, after he took his phone into the swimming pool the week before we left!) and my Nikon Coolpix B500.

So anyway, on to travel day! We got picked up at 9am and we were all checked in by 10am. It was bank holiday Monday so no traffic to worry about. We used an airport transfer service to get to the airport as it was cheaper return than paying for parking for 3 weeks. My mum and dad were off on holiday on the same day (but from Edinburgh airport) so they couldn't drop us off.

Check in was in the smaller side terminal outside of the main building at Glasgow but we then had to walk over to the complete opposite side of the main terminal to drop off the car seat which was a pain, but we got rid of it and headed to security.

As a side note - we took my mother in laws car seat with us, a Joie Tilt, which is less bulky than our own main one and doesn't need an isofix base. I wasn’t keen on not knowing what kind of seat we’d get from the hire company until we got there and also the thought of what it could be covered in from previous babies grossed me out a bit! We were allowed 2 baby items free anyway so it didn't cost us anything.

There was no queue at security. I used to travel a lot for work and I had gotten security down to a fine art, I know the rules and people who ignore the basics like leaving bottles etc in bags drive me mad . I was actually quite nervous about going through with Libby though, worrying we would be those people who leave something in a bag or that I’d get really flustered with all our stuff and Libby to handle too. I told Gary the game plan, he was to get Libby out the buggy and I’d sort the bags, I knew exactly where the liquid clear bags were and where the Macbook was. I had some smoothie pouches and medicine sachets for Libby but nothing over 100ml anyway. Everything went absolutely fine, nobody beeped and Libby was quite patient for once!

I got some holiday perfume in Duty free (Daisy Dream) and Gary got some sunglasses, just a cheap pair as a back up to his Ray-bans. We picked up a couple of meal deals in Boots for the plane.

The plan was to get breakfast but we weren’t really hungry, Gary had some leftover pizza that morning and Libby and I had some pancakes before we left but we knew we should get something to keep us going. We went to Wetherspoons and shared 2 pastries, Gary got a 1/2 pint and I got coke. I also took a Caramel latte from James Martin in with me in a takeaway cup. We’d gone to get a Starbucks but they were having some issues and could only do filter coffee, tea or water. I’m not a filter coffee kind of girl .

Sharing with Daddy

Airport drinks!

After Wetherspoons, I picked up some juice in WH Smith and we walked along to the wee children’s play area. Libby made friends with a little French Canadian boy, basically by stealing his ball . She’d recently learned to say ball and loved chasing and spotting balls wherever we went. She didn't want to leave and fussed when we left to walk along to the gate. I took her for a nappy change then we folded up the buggy and put it in the big clear bags Air Transat provided and gave it to the gate staff.

She named this little guy ball

It was busy and there were no seats left, it was hot and we were trying to hold on to a still fussing Libby and the all the bags, so were very grateful when they called for groups with children. I was very flustered!

We got on the plane and walked alllll the way to almost the back at row 41. The aisles seem so much skinnier when your trying to squeeze up with a toddler, handbag and changing bag .

Not a great picture but I had to share, look at that guys face behind us

My notes for the flight read this:
Shrek. Snacks, smoothie squeezing incident. Cheerios.

Libby was Libby. That might sound like stating the flipping obvious, but in the weeks running up to our trip when talking about the flight, people kept telling me oh she’ll be fine, I bet she’ll surprise you. She didn’t. It turns out I know her pretty well and she was exactly like I thought she would be . Excited, frustrated to be stuck in one place for so long and not keen on staying still for any length of time! She played with her buckle toy, which was a life saver, and I took her a few walks up and down. She napped for 40 minutes but I had to rock her to sleep and she resisted until the end! She ate lots of snacks and at one stage squeezed a smoothie pouch everywhere.

Finally asleep!

It could have been worse, she could have screamed for 7 hours straight, but she most definitely didn't surprise me and was completely as expected .

When lunch came round (during Libby’s 40 minute nap, meaning I ate mine over her head), the only option left was a chicken and ginger thing. It was ok. The bread roll was nice. No dessert though booooo , I’m a dessert person! Instead it came with a little packet of chocolate covered blueberries which I didn't try, but Gary said they weren't very nice.

This buckle toy was a life saver during our trip, such a good idea!

Near the end, I was walking back from the toilet and noticed the little French Canadian boy that Libby had played with in the airport play area was sitting 2 rows in front. I literally hadn't noticed him the whole flight, he had barely made a sound. Where do people get these quiet, obedient children from ?!

The flight seemed to go on foreevvvverrr but we landed slightly early and were off and through immigration and customs really quickly. The automated machines were great, no problems whatsoever. It didn't want a photo of Libby because she was so young. We walked up to the officer with our printed slip, he ticked it and off we went. Our luggage didn't take too long and the car seat was last to come through the over sized baggage bit.

Libby was knackered by the point, she went in her buggy but wasn’t happy. We walked to the Budget desk and thankfully there was no queue. We had a really friendly agent who didn’t try to upsell anything at all. I’d booked through Expedia with Gary as the only driver, but he said a Spouse can drive for free too and he didn't even need to see my licence.

We got a brand new white Nissan Rogue. Lovely sized car, it suited us well other than being white and getting so dirty!

Gary got the car seat buckled in and we got set off quickly. Unlike Orlando, we made it out of the airport and on to the right road without getting lost!

It took us an hour and 20 mins to get to Gary’s Aunt Lorraine’s due to the time of day. We hit rush hour traffic but took the electronic toll road and that cut out some time. Budget charge $20 admin fee for this then $11 toll but after a long day I’d pay more for the convenience! Libby eventually fell asleep so had a 25 minute nap on the way.

Car nap!

She was still knackered when we got there, but came round eventually and was soon running around with Maggie the dog.

We had some dinner and Libby went to bed at 8pm Canadian time. 18 hours after getting up that morning having only had two 40 minute naps .

Gary and his Aunt went to the beer store for some beer, picking up our first real Canadian Tim Hortons on the way home. We sat catching up with his Aunt, Uncle and younger cousin and went to bed about 10pm.

I obviously won't be sharing lots of photos of their lovely house but it was in Hamilton, Ontario. Just up from Albion Falls. It was 32 degrees the day we got there, hotter than usual for this time of year. Thankfully they had the air con on!

Thanks for reading x
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Except for a trip to Canada when F was 8m old and stationary I didn’t do longer than 2h flights with my kids until the youngest was 7! They would have been just like Libby

You survived though!

I loved the new machines at Montreal earlier this year - very efficient!

Glad to hear Timmy’s made an appearance on day 1! I love their 99c iced coffee!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

Well done for surviving the flight! The man’s face behind you is hilarious 😂
Looking forward to reading along.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I've not heard of Tim Hortons so I had to look it up. Sounds like a stressful travel day, but you arrived in one piece! I'm looking forward to reading along.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Emily! I think you did well surviving travel day - my youngest was (and still is to some extent!) just like Libby and at that age I'd never have survived a long flight with her!

Glad you managed to get your beloved Tim Hortons so soon into your holiday 😋

Diane
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Except for a trip to Canada when F was 8m old and stationary I didn’t do longer than 2h flights with my kids until the youngest was 7! They would have been just like Libby

You survived though!

I loved the new machines at Montreal earlier this year - very efficient!

Glad to hear Timmy’s made an appearance on day 1! I love their 99c iced coffee!
Haha that sounds like a smart idea! It was worth it but not a fun experience. Thanks for reading & enjoy Bangkok

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Well done for surviving the flight! The man’s face behind you is hilarious 😂
Looking forward to reading along.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I've not heard of Tim Hortons so I had to look it up. Sounds like a stressful travel day, but you arrived in one piece! I'm looking forward to reading along.
Tim Hortons french vanilla are my favourite coffee ever! We actually now have a few in Glasgow so I can get them here, but they're so much better in Canada. Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Hi Emily! I think you did well surviving travel day - my youngest was (and still is to some extent!) just like Libby and at that age I'd never have survived a long flight with her!

Glad you managed to get your beloved Tim Hortons so soon into your holiday 😋

Diane
Thanks Diane! She's a live wire for sure. Wouldn't change them for the world but jeez they like to test us don't they?!
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh my worrrddddd HOW did I not know about this? Yessss so happy you’re doing a report.

Firstly, can’t wait to read along just binge read your pre trippie too.

Secondly, you look gorgeous! Tips please. I’m fully still in Mum bun / lucky to have make up on mode & it’s back to work time soon.

Thirdly, HOW do you keep a toddler up beyond their normal bed time without them screaming the place down? Real question.

Forth(Ly?), yay go Libby being such a good non screaming girl for the flight. Made me laugh when you said you know her best, absolutely you do.

Xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Oh my worrrddddd HOW did I not know about this? Yessss so happy you’re doing a report.

Firstly, can’t wait to read along just binge read your pre trippie too.

Secondly, you look gorgeous! Tips please. I’m fully still in Mum bun / lucky to have make up on mode & it’s back to work time soon.

Thirdly, HOW do you keep a toddler up beyond their normal bed time without them screaming the place down? Real question.

Forth(Ly?), yay go Libby being such a good non screaming girl for the flight. Made me laugh when you said you know her best, absolutely you do.

Xx
Haha thanks lovely! I wish, but thank you .

Libby is in quite a good routine with bedtime at home but if we're away or out past bedtime and there are plenty of distractions, she can stay up for hooouuuurs. She's never been a spontaneous napper and wouldn't just fall asleep without being in PJs and her cot haha, even after 18 hours .

Thanks for commenting xx
Old 30 Jun 18, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

Sounds lovely.
Toronto is amazing.
We fell in love with Tim Hortons there, we visited everyday, sometimes twice the drinks were so reasonable, don’t get me started on the Timbits.
Can’t wait to read along with your adventure.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Ah so excited to start reading this, and again... so happy you are writing a report for this trip!

Oh Libby, reading this has totally made me love her even more (she has already stolen my heart from all the lovely photos/videos I see on IG!). I think she did amazingly well on such a long flight, its hard as adults to sit still for that long so to expect a toddler to do it is just craziness. I also can totally predict Charlie to be a very similar child come our first long haul flight next year (at 8 months he is already showing very similar traits to Libby!). As already discussed... I am totally getting a buckle toy for him (that boy loves a buckle/clip/fastening)

I am in total agreement with Michelle too, you look beautiful... Mum goals right there!

So excited to follow along with this!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List