Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Business class flights long haul, reward saver flights within Europe.
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I have nearly half a million avios at the moment because my club world flights to California got cancelled.

Hopefully we will use them again at some point for more club world or even first class flights.

A lot of people who do school holidays book their outgoing flight at 355 days out online and then call up to book their inbound the morning the flight has been released (opens at 6am) and then they will add on the inbound for you.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Similar to others, we only use them for CW/F flights to California & Florida.
We also have the BA Amex PP card so book those flights using our companion vouchers.
2020 has been an odd year in terms of our BA flights; what an understatement!
We’ve had companion vouchers reinstated & extended due to cancelled flights, Avios refunded due to cancelled flights, seen our Avios balance jump from 200,000 to 450,000 after refunds, slump to 70,000 after we booked a few reward flights for the end of this year/start of next year, jump again to 250,000 when we cancelled one of the reward flights & booked a cash flight at a great price in the BA sale under the Book with Confidence safety net!
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
I have nearly half a million avios at the moment because my club world flights to California got cancelled.

Hopefully we will use them again at some point for more club world or even first class flights.

A lot of people who do school holidays book their outgoing flight at 355 days out online and then call up to book their inbound the morning the flight has been released (opens at 6am) and then they will add on the inbound for you.
This is what we do because we are a family of 7 and it’s hard to get 7 CW seats to MCO, MIA or LAX in the school holidays.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

While the generally held wisdom that long haul premium cabins (Club/First) offer the best notional financial value for Avios holds true, recent events have perhaps given economy redemptions greater value than before. This is because Avios bookings are very flexible, with only minimal penalty for amendment / cancellation. Some people may find this useful.

The OP doesn’t have enough Avios to consider long haul premium cabin redemptions for 3 people, even if they had a 2-4-1. With that Avios balance, it would be short haul redemptions for best “value”. If desiring to use long haul, accept the lower cash value and enjoy the flexibility, or use for money off flights, hotel/car bookIngs etc. These won’t extract the same value, but better than sitting on a pile of Avios you might never use.

Just a note for people doing this, BA releases reward seats at midnight GMT all year round (so midnight UK time in winter, 01:00 BST in the summer). For very popular routes, especially in Club, it may well be worth staying up late to grab the seats on release. A call centre somewhere in the world should be open (though I haven’t done any late night calls during Covid times).
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
While the generally held wisdom that long haul premium cabins (Club/First) offer the best notional financial value for Avios holds true, recent events have perhaps given economy redemptions greater value than before. This is because Avios bookings are very flexible, with only minimal penalty for amendment / cancellation. Some people may find this useful.

The OP doesn’t have enough Avios to consider long haul premium cabin redemptions for 3 people, even if they had a 2-4-1. With that Avios balance, it would be short haul redemptions for best “value”. If desiring to use long haul, accept the lower cash value and enjoy the flexibility, or use for money off flights, hotel/car bookIngs etc. These won’t extract the same value, but better than sitting on a pile of Avios you might never use.

Just a note for people doing this, BA releases reward seats at midnight GMT all year round (so midnight UK time in winter, 01:00 BST in the summer). For very popular routes, especially in Club, it may well be worth staying up late to grab the seats on release. A call centre somewhere in the world should be open (though I haven’t done any late night calls during Covid times).
There will be two call centres open at that time. Both aren’t for uk customers, one will usually tell you no, although some people have got lucky and they’ve done it for them and the other is extremely difficult to get hold of, although they will probably do it for you if you do get through.

We have booked our inbounds online before when they’ve become a available online, but never for USA routes as the tax is so much higher for two one ways as they can’t be joined once you’ve booked them. Routes like Japan for example aren’t too bad and two one ways online would be a good option with those.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

There will be two call centres open at that time. Both aren’t for uk customers, one will usually tell you no, although some people have got lucky and they’ve done it for them and the other is extremely difficult to get hold of, although they will probably do it for you if you do get through.

We have booked our inbounds online before when they’ve become a available online, but never for USA routes as the tax is so much higher for two one ways as they can’t be joined once you’ve booked them. Routes like Japan for example aren’t too bad and two one ways online would be a good option with those.
You can actually join two seperate bookings if you have a 2 for 1 voucher. The extra Avios paid for the second flight will be refunded, the extra tax paid will not be refunded (it used to be but not now) The flights will then be linked. I have done this many times on busy flights
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Fair enough on the call centres, I’m a little spoiled in having 24 hour call centre availability with BA (and I rarely book immediately on release). Agree about not adding the return online for USA if it can be avoided, the fees for ex-USA redemptions are excessive.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
You can actually join two seperate bookings if you have a 2 for 1 voucher. The extra Avios paid for the second flight will be refunded, the extra tax paid will not be refunded (it used to be but not now) The flights will then be linked. I have done this many times on busy flights
Yes you can link them, but you cannot join them. They still remain the two separate booking references, that’s why I said the difference in tax will not be refunded. I am aware though the difference in avios will be if you have a companion voucher. Alls they do when they link them is add a note in each booking reference to say that it is a split booking and then refund the avios difference (if you have a companion voucher)

Edited at 08:48 AM.
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Yes you can link them, but you cannot join them. They still remain the two separate booking references, that’s why I said the difference in tax will not be refunded. I am aware though the difference in avios will be if you have a companion voucher. Alls they do when they link them is add a note in each booking reference to say that it is a split booking and then refund the avios difference (if you have a companion voucher)
Yes you are right. Why is it important to have the bookings joined rather than linked. I have never had a problem but would be interested what they might be? I have also linked Avios and paid bookings successfully with no issues.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List