Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Mar 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Going from no central heating to central heating

Slight backstory

Nan fell Christmas Eve
Still in hospital now
A nurse has been to visit nans house to see what she'll be discharged to

And they've said her gas fire is unsafe as she usually has to bend down and light it with a match

Citizens advice have said she would be entitled to free central heating installation but nan doesn't want the mess

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a new system installed. How messy it was and how long it took?

Were thinking it could be done while she's still in hospital and she would just come home to a lovely warm home.

ETA she tested positive for coronavirus today 😢
This is my dad's mum 💔❤️

Edited at 09:47 PM.
louiseybobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I’ve got no advice Louise but I hope she’ll be ok, maybe contact British Gas or someone reputable
Thinking of you all 💕💕💕xxx
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

May be worth checking with Age UK if they have a list of recommended installers
If fire has been classed as dangerous she may be entitled to some help with installation costs
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I had my central heating renewed and it was pretty awful to be honest but it might be better if there's nothing to be removed. Definitely try and get it done while she's in hospital if you can.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

This was a very long time ago though, but my mom sort off had central heating fitted back in the 1990's.
We always had a coal fire growing up, we had radiators in every room, but they could only get hot when the coal fire was lit. When my dad died in 1990 me and mom decided it was too much of a pain to keep the coal fire (my dad wouldn't get rid of it). For us there really wasn't any mess at all, British Gas replaced the coal fire with a gas fire and fitted a boiler in the kitchen cupboard. They used the existing radiators and pipework.

I suppose it depends on what your nan already has fitted, does she have radiators in her rooms and how are they heated at the moment.

For us it made a massive difference, although it was lovely the coal was a real pain in the rear, and I was glad to see it go.

I don't think it took any longer than 2 days to do everything. Could you arrange for someone to come and do it while she wasn't there.
Old 12 Mar 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Louise. Rough rule of thumb assume 2 Guys and a max of 3 days.

Then a full day for a clean up.

Hope Gran makes a speedy recovery.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

My parents had their gas fire replaced with one you could light from the top, that might be an easier solution?

I hope your Nan is ok x
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Helen J View Post
This was a very long time ago though, but my mom sort off had central heating fitted back in the 1990's.
We always had a coal fire growing up, we had radiators in every room, but they could only get hot when the coal fire was lit. When my dad died in 1990 me and mom decided it was too much of a pain to keep the coal fire (my dad wouldn't get rid of it). For us there really wasn't any mess at all, British Gas replaced the coal fire with a gas fire and fitted a boiler in the kitchen cupboard. They used the existing radiators and pipework.

I suppose it depends on what your nan already has fitted, does she have radiators in her rooms and how are they heated at the moment.

For us it made a massive difference, although it was lovely the coal was a real pain in the rear, and I was glad to see it go.

I don't think it took any longer than 2 days to do everything. Could you arrange for someone to come and do it while she wasn't there.
She doesn't have anything else in the house to heat it.

She won't put the emersion hot water on so is constantly washing her hands in cold water which are so full of arthritis and swollen it's heartbreaking to see. My dad used to tell her to put it on and keep it on rather than switching it on and off but she won't listen. Very stubborn. She's lovely but just likes things her way and doesn't like mither.

I feel this is going to be tricky
I want the experts to tell her she needs it or she can't go home
Then I think she'll agree.

If it's us saying it, she'll think we're just being fussy
Old 13 Mar 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

Mobile

We had ours done 4 years ago, we made sure we were out of the house everyday, it took 4 days. Rip out old radiators and pipe work and replace with all new including new boiler.

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
She doesn't have anything else in the house to heat it.

She won't put the emersion hot water on so is constantly washing her hands in cold water which are so full of arthritis and swollen it's heartbreaking to see. My dad used to tell her to put it on and keep it on rather than switching it on and off but she won't listen. Very stubborn. She's lovely but just likes things her way and doesn't like mither.

I feel this is going to be tricky
I want the experts to tell her she needs it or she can't go home
Then I think she'll agree.

If it's us saying it, she'll think we're just being fussy
I know what you mean about being stubborn, my dad refused to get rid of the coal fire. Maybe if the experts tell her she can't go home until the work is done, she will finally agree to the upgrade. I think it will be a lot more work than ours was though.

Just seen your update, so sorry she's managed to catch the virus, has she already been vaccinated?

Hope she recovers soon.