Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Mar 21, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellemum
Excited about Disney

Knee ligament operation on dogs

Our little Jackapoo has injured her knee and needs a ligament operation - has anyone’s dog had this done - if so did it work and how long did they take to recover.
Bellemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Amazing-Grace
Imagineer

Amazing-Grace's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Yes it worked on my Jack Russell, I cannot remember how long it took but the hardest bit was stopping them from running & jumping as soon as they felt better.
If you’re told to keep her on cage rest then you must do it, it’s hard but it’s the only way she will heal and not do herself more damage.
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

One of our Weimaraner had the op
We’d to keep her on 6 weeks strict crate rest just out for a pee etc on the lead and after that a gentle program of exercise and rest and no jumping up or over anything for a good while
She recovered completely but my heart was in my mouth every time she jumped over a gate fence etc
Hardest bit is crate rest if they are not used to a crate
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes, my Mum’s Westie did. The best recommendation we had was hydrotherapy! The dog hated it but she had a full range of motion back quickly.
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

This is Tilly the day we brought her home. She sulked for a few days but then was back to normal. In fact she was too well! We have to stop her from jumping etc because the vet insisted she didn’t jump. It was a few years ago now and even now she sometimes picks that leg up when we are out for a walk. Vet has checked her over but it’s completely fine. It was very expensive so thank goodness for pet insurance 👍🏻👍🏻 This was 4 years ago.

Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My niece's Pointador Buster (Pointer/Labrador) had to have TPLO surgery after trying everything else first.

Buster got over the surgery quite well, all healed and allowed to go on short walks again... and his sister Luna the Springador (Springer Spaniel/Labrador) had to have TPLO surgery too, on the same leg. Couldn't believe it.

Luna was just starting to be allowed short walks on the lead and Buster got an infection at the scar site and had to have the metalwork taken out.

My poor niece had both dogs in cage rest for a little while.
Old 16 Mar 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Ruby had her first cruciate surgery a few years ago and was running etc. Even after having the plate removed due to an infection (very rarely happens) Late last year, three years after the first leg she had her other back leg done. We're 4 months on now and she's been ok but is sometimes limping but she's nearly 9 and diagnosed with arthritis 7years ago so we're assuming it's that plus she's a boxer and isn't very calm. Looking at medication next week.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Many years ago now I had a rough collie, golden retriever cross. She tore the cruciate ligament in her one leg and then a couple of years later she did the same thing on the other leg.

She recovered from both operations very well, although the long walks had to stop, she would start to limp if we walked too far.
The vet told us to put lots of towels down on the floor, instead of her usual bed, for the first few days. I'm glad we did because she couldn't get up very well the next morning and she wet the towels.

My problem was trying to keep her calm and stopping her jumping up. We had to move her favourite bench in the garden for a while, because she wasn't allowed to jump up onto it.

My dog was 9 when she had her first op, and she lived until she was 14 and a half.
Old 16 Mar 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Harryporker
Earning More Ears

We had a sprollie who made a good recovery from this operation but we now have a lhasa apso who also had this surgery when he was about 7 and it didn't work for him. He now has quite bad arthritis in that leg
Harryporker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellemum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
This is Tilly the day we brought her home. She sulked for a few days but then was back to normal. In fact she was too well! We have to stop her from jumping etc because the vet insisted she didn’t jump. It was a few years ago now and even now she sometimes picks that leg up when we are out for a walk. Vet has checked her over but it’s completely fine. It was very expensive so thank goodness for pet insurance 👍🏻👍🏻 This was 4 years ago.

Thanks for all the replies and the picture of Tilly 💕 - I think I’m doing the right thing now going for the op.
Bellemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List