Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Mar 21, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Selling a property - fees

Hi all,

For the first time in my life I’m putting a house on the market. We are having a visit from the estate agent that is representing the house we wish to purchase tomorrow, to attempt to streamline the process. But there are no fees on the website.

Anyone who has sold recently, what are the fees like? Just want to make sure it’s competitive.

In case it helps. It’s a small 2 bed terrace and we are expecting it to be sold for £110-120k.

Do you pay anything upfront or only at completion?

Thanks
Old 4 Mar 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Pretty much all estate agents will have a ‘ rack rate ‘ but some may allow haggling.
We paid 0.75% plus vat on a 280k house
All paid on completion
High street estate agent
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Hi all,

For the first time in my life I’m putting a house on the market. We are having a visit from the estate agent that is representing the house we wish to purchase tomorrow, to attempt to streamline the process. But there are no fees on the website.

Anyone who has sold recently, what are the fees like? Just want to make sure it’s competitive.

In case it helps. It’s a small 2 bed terrace and we are expecting it to be sold for £110-120k.

Do you pay anything upfront or only at completion?

Thanks
I have sold several houses in the past few years.
I pay -
Estate agent fees - 0.9% +VAT
Solicitor fees - 0.5% +VAT plus searches etc. I receive a bit of discount on the 0.5% for higher priced houses.

I am sure you can beat 0.9% on estate agent fees - but the one I use seems to get top prices so have probably gained significant sums by paying a few pounds more.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Remember get a couple of estate agents round at a minimum. I had three valuations and the bottom price was 50k less than the highest with the lowest wanting to obviously get rid asap.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We were quoted 0.8 last week and I think he is one of the pricier in this area. But we have used them before and know they are good.

He also said the market was extremely hot and properties were selling fast. That matches what I’ve seen on RightMove with anything interesting being snapped up in days.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

The best round here was 0.9%
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
We have just paid 1% + vat. We did get another agent quote 0.75% but he would have sold the house 30K cheaper. The 1% agent more than paid for his extra commission. This was in Kent.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
We were offered .75% but then another agent offered .5%, I went back to the original agent who matched it. I didn't expect it but thought there is no harm in asking. Most High St agents are usually no sale no fee. Definitely get a few round though.

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
We have just paid 1% + vat. We did get another agent quote 0.75% but he would have sold the house 30K cheaper. The 1% agent more than paid for his extra commission. This was in Kent.
And I think this highlights my experience also.

Sometimes when you pay cheap, you get cheap.

Cheap and good value are two totally different things.

When we get agents in, you can tell very quickly with a good degree of confidence how good they will be or not.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thanks all. Looks like I shouldn’t be paying more than 1% + VAT.
That’s really helpful.
I don’t think the price of the house variation will be as big a deal here. We live in rows and rows of these terraces, several have gone on recently, all have gone on for £120k, and been sold within the week. None were as nice as ours to be honest, we have only been in 2.5 years and built a kitchen diner in the dining room, and turned the tiny galley kitchen into a utility room. So kitchen, bathroom etc all under 2.5 years old, and we have a little extension to make another storage room.
But we’d be delighted to get £120k, we bought it for £82k, and spent £11k.
So we’re after quick so we can make stamp duty saving, rather than fighting for every penny, but we’ll bear it in mind if it seems a bit low
Thanks x