Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Mar 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

45 min layover

Had email to say our flight times had been changed, were flying home via Toronto, that flight now not possible without an overnight stay, so changed flight to via Washington, was told it was 2hr layover there, have just had confirmation email through, it’s actually only 45 minutes, what happens if we don’t have enough time or get lost or something and miss the layover flight, I know if we land late into Washington it will be down to airline to get us on next flight, but what if it’s our fault, 45 minutes is certainly pushing it?
Old 25 Mar 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Flew MCO to Dublin once via Washington with similar layover. Cant say I wasnt nervous but we did make it. Departure could have been slightly late as well but the flight time was shorter than allocated. Airline/travel agents were perfectly okay with it when I queried. I assume it is United

I will say though that we were pretty much 5 adults and in MCO they were looking for people to take some premium economy seats so a family could sit together so my son and I ended up at the front of the plane and we were off quickly and headed straight to the gate. Think we ended up going straight to the front of the queue at the gate as they were starting boarding soon and there was no point sitting down. The other three did make it in time to go on the flight all at the same time. I dont think we even stopped for a bathroom break lol (they were warned not to leave the plane desperate!) but it was better than waiting hours.

Dulles airport is pretty straightforward but I think we had looked in advance at which gates the flights normally used to have an idea of what our route would be coming off the plane

Just to add we have flown home to Dublin from Washington a few times, it is a 10pm flight and in our experience they would hold the flight for incoming United connections. It often left slightly late and there would be people running up the aisle at the last minute!

Edited at 08:45 PM.
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

We have done 50 minutes a couple of times, at Newark, once there were storms and we were late leaving MCO but they held all the transatlantic fights for the incoming connections. The other time we made it easily. Never gone via Washington though.
Old 25 Mar 21, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

45 mins is too tight imo
We did an overnight in the Toronto airport hotel last time we flew home from Orlando to avoid the dreaded night flight
Old 25 Mar 21, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

I’d much rather do a night flight, like to sleep through most of it, but can’t really work out what would happen if we did miss it, would we have to pay for another flight?
Old 25 Mar 21, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

It would be to tight for my taste. Just takes a small delay taking off and you will be on the edge of your seats clock watching the whole flight.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stink08 View Post
I’d much rather do a night flight, like to sleep through most of it, but can’t really work out what would happen if we did miss it, would we have to pay for another flight?
They should get you on the next available if room but that could be the following day

Wish I could sleep on night flights

Edited at 10:40 PM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Airlines won’t sell these flights unless confident of making the connection, the general rule they work to is 95%+ success rate, but in reality it’s usually much higher
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
fastboysam
Trainee Dibber

We've flown indirect a lot via various hubs and whilst I would normally prefer much more wiggle room our experience at Washington with United has been brilliant - off one gate - board at the opposite gate approx 20 steps away - we even had time for a toilet break and grabbed some snacks one time without rushing. That was Spring time so no issues with delays from MCO due to summer storms but we once had an issue at Chicago with united and they looked after us very well (was their fault though as plane went tech) but I don't think missing a tight connection would be deemed to be your fault - if the airline sell that tight connection on a regular basis then it works for the vast majority of the time - they don't want to give themselves regular headaches but missed flights do happen and our experience has been that the airline put you on the next available flight when you've booked a through ticket.
Old 26 Mar 21, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post

As above.
Have also had 45 mins back through Atlanta and Chicago and both been ok.

I do try to make.suee that it's not the last flight back transatlantic that night though. Just in case.

Did you book direct? If so, they are often amenable to changing flight times / layovers in your favour if they have changed them on their behalf already. Have an idea of the alternative flights you would be interested in before you call. The same mix and match of transatlantic carrier gives greatest flex. So if aa back look for similar aa back options.

Internal flights do Bob around a fair bit though. It might not have fully settled yet.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List