Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Apr 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Giving money to people on the street

As more and more people are carrying less and less cash
How will this affect people asking for money on the street?
The past few times I’ve walked past someone asking for money I literally have nothing as I tend to use my card for everything
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Apparently over the pandemic cash has fallen to it's lowest use.

I hope that now we know that government can actually quickly house the homeless it will be less acceptable to see people on the streets and councils will step up. Back in the early 90s you didn't see anywhere near the amount of homelessness you do now.

Also wondering how buskers will cope?
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

I don't give them money now, I usually buy them a coffee or a sandwich, difficult for buskers though

Edited at 09:33 AM.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I watched a documentary about a cashless society,may have been Sweden and the buskers had card machines.Couldnt believe it lol!
They must be affected because I’m another one who very rarely has cash in my purse.
Tracy x
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I watched a documentary about a cashless society,may have been Sweden and the buskers had card machines.Couldnt believe it lol!
They must be affected because I’m another one who very rarely has cash in my purse.
Tracy x
I was in Manchester city Center last February and we saw someone begging who had a little sign saying “ no cash no problem I can accept card payments “
I guess he had one of those portal card machines that you link to a mobile phone .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I was in Manchester city Center last February and we saw someone begging who had a little sign saying “ no cash no problem I can accept card payments “
I guess he had one of those portal card machines that you link to a mobile phone .
They have them in London (buskers and big issue sellers)

On a snowy day a lady always who is always begging near my apartment building and she is so polite - I found a cash point and gave her enough money for night shelter . Maybe it was to make me feel better going into my nice warm apartment when the snow was falling but I do hope I made a little difference to one night in the old for her
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I’m going to sound mean here, but surely someone who’s got the means to have a mobile phone which accepts cashless payments isn’t penny less?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

When I beg my sign says ‘notes only please.’
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I remember reading, not to give money to beggers but food or drinks.
shirley is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
When I beg my sign says ‘notes only please.’
Probaby best you do your begging near an ATM then.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List