Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 May 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
HakunaMatata
Helping Minnie

Golf clubs with virgin?

Hi everyone, we’ve booked for November 2022 as a group of 7. 4 of the party will be playing golf over there and we were just wondering if anyone has ever taken their golf clubs over with virgin? Did I hear they will take them for free?
We’re wondering whether it’s worth taking them or just renting while we’re there?
Thank you

Glenbrook villas 2009
Highgrove villas 2011
AKL and HRH 2019
Should have been AoA 2020
We're trying again...Highlands reserve villas 2022

HakunaMatata is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

They used to fly them for free but not anymore, but you can use your luggage allowance to carry them as long as it’s not over 23 kgs. My husband always takes his and we put lightweight clothes in with them in the padded golf bag, then take everything else in another case between us. We fly premium/upper sometimes which makes it easy to take them due to the increased baggage allowance.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HakunaMatata View Post
Hi everyone, we’ve booked for November 2022 as a group of 7. 4 of the party will be playing golf over there and we were just wondering if anyone has ever taken their golf clubs over with virgin? Did I hear they will take them for free?
We’re wondering whether it’s worth taking them or just renting while we’re there?
Thank you
From the Virgin Atlantic website:-

help.virginatlantic/gb/e...equipment.html

Planning a golf trip with Virgin Atlantic? We’ll fly your golf equipment as part of your baggage allowance as long as it weighs in at 23kg or less.

Here’s what your golf equipment can include:

One bag (containing a maximum of 14 clubs)
A dozen balls
One pair of golf shoes
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

The days of free sports baggage are long gone.

The golf clubs will be part of your baggage allowance so it depends which class you are travelling.

Evern if you pay £65 each way this will be cheaper than hiring clubs if you play enough rounds.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

We are booked for May 2022 and hubby will be taking his clubs and we will just have to pay extra for them. He took them in 2016 when we went with United but the twins were little and could share a suitcase so it was in with the 1 bag per person allowance. I dont think I would cope with 3 cases between 4 of us. I wouldnt be able to shop! Hubby says club hire is around$25-$45 a round depending on where you play
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

It depends on how many times you will be playing over there. It costs approx $30-$55 to hire clubs, depending on the course.

We usually fly premium economy so the clubs are included as one of the bags, if you are flying economy you will have to pay £65 to take your clubs, I may be wrong but I think that is £65 each way. If it is each way thats £130, so you would need to play 4 or 5 times to make it worth while taking your own.

We have never hired clubs out there as we always take our own, but it very much depends on how many times you are going to play. We always put our extra shoes and trainers inside the golf carrying bags, the weight is always well below the allowed 23kg.

We have taken our clubs loads of times and they are always well looked after, never had any damage at all. I don't think they get thrown around like the suitcases do.