Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 May 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Land registry details

I need to check out something I want to do in my front garden so I went to land registry and in the title deeds I have this;
"(23.10.1989) A Transfer which included the land in this title dated 2 October 1989 made between (1) West Somerset District Council and (2) Charles HC and Florence ERC contains restrictive covenants.
NOTE: Copy filed."

So where is this copy of the restrictions filed? Do I need to go to my local council for it? Or somewhere else? There's no explanation on what they consist of but I have a sneaking feeling it's against what I want to do (fence the garden to enclose it)

If it is and this wasn't brought attention to on purchase (which it wasn't but how do I prove that?) am I still bound by it?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Its questions like this that I wish my Dad was still here to answer as he used to work for the Land Registry. Our old house had covenants on it that said no caravans or trade vehicles could be parked on the drives overnight and we had to have internal tv aerials. However nobody had internal aerials and loads of people kept their caravans and vans on the drives. I don't know who enforces them? Although as yours was set by the council they probably would. I would go back to the solicitor and find out what the covenant was - The covenant we have on this house was in the bundle of papers we were given by the solicitor who had told us about it. Basically saying we can't sell off the bottom of the garden or build on it for other than garden purposes, although there is debate as to were the line is! If they didn't point it out then I guess you could try to get some damages but probably not very likely!

Good luck sorting it all out!

Edited at 04:34 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I think the words “copy filed” means the Land Registry should have a copy. Why not try asking them.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I need to check out something I want to do in my front garden so I went to land registry and in the title deeds I have this;
"(23.10.1989) A Transfer which included the land in this title dated 2 October 1989 made between (1) West Somerset District Council and (2) Charles HC and Florence ERC contains restrictive covenants.
NOTE: Copy filed."

So where is this copy of the restrictions filed? Do I need to go to my local council for it? Or somewhere else? There's no explanation on what they consist of but I have a sneaking feeling it's against what I want to do (fence the garden to enclose it)

If it is and this wasn't brought attention to on purchase (which it wasn't but how do I prove that?) am I still bound by it?
I am not au fait with English Land Registry documents, but here any covenants/appurtenances would be on the Office Copy.
Old 4 May 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Its probably of no real consequence so don't worry.

When you purchased your Solicitor would have informed you of this before exchange. Have you still got the correspondence?

Disney332
Old 4 May 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have a piece of garden/land which we are not allowed to fence and need to ensure has low vegetation to allow visibility - annoying as we would have a larger garden otherwise
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Its probably of no real consequence so don't worry.
Except the OP needs to comply with it and therefore needs to know what to comply with.

You can request the files documents as the registered owner from the land registry, but there may be a small cost involved.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Except the OP needs to comply with it and therefore needs to know what to comply with.

You can request the files documents as the registered owner from the land registry, but there may be a small cost involved.
In my experience many covenants are inconsequential and routinely ignored by freeholders. Over time the original conveyer is long gone, so rarely enforced, and times change...

For instance, no washing to be hung out in the garden.

Disney332
Old 4 May 21, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Without knowing what it is, there is no way to know if it is likely to be enforced or not.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

You can do a search here:

eservices.landregistry.gov.u...HomePageRouter

I think you may need to create a login, which is very easy. Then I always do map searches as I tend t look up random plots of land for work sometimes, but you u can also search by address too.

Then there will be a small fee to download whatever documents there are on file - no more than 5-6 pounds of have thought in total.

You then download the docs as pdfs immediately
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List