Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 29 Oct 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I have booked a house for a week in Cape Coral, we are staying at Hamilton Lakes for 10 nights and then on to Cape Coral. We have stayed in Bradenton in the past and loved it but wanted to try something else. My first choice Villa was too expensive so we went with the 2nd Choice, I am more excited about staying in the Villa in Cape Coral than the one in Orlando! Might hire a small boat for a couple of days and hope to see some Dolphins swim past x
Sandra you'd be better going on a Captained boat, let him do the work whilst you enjoy the views, water, dolphin et al. We use a chap called Bruce Harrington, SW Fla Private Getaway, telephone 239-789-6448. We usually go out with him 3 or 4 times whilst there and he is well deserving of his 5* reviews. He charges $50pp (which is cheap based on others, but I believe it's half hobby for him as he loves it as much as his guests), minimum of 4, and you'll be out for circa 6 to 7 hours, which includes all fuel/everything, but not a tip if you want to tip him that is. He's fully licenced and owns a large, comfy boat with double bimini's if the sun's too powerful. Let him chose where to take you, I recommend shelling on Upper Captiva, which can only be accessed via boat. He'll also take you to Foster Bay where a myriad of manatee will be enjoying the water. A friend and I get in with them, we don't touch/harrass them but it's nice to be in their water. Bruce encourages you to take a picnic lunch, or you can stop off at one of the island restaurants. We prefer a lunch as we'd rather be on the water. We've done day time with him, beginning around 11am and a sunset cruise where we began around 2pm and returned after the sunset. If you're lucky you may even see a green flash as the sun sets on the water.

Frankly Sandra, if there's 4 of you you're far better paying $200 vs hiring/piloting a hired boat, plus fuel. Below are a couple of photo's taken when we were out with friends with Capt Bruce at the helm. I'm hidden beneath my red hat and you will need plenty of sunblock slapped on and again as the day goes on. The last photo is Bokeelia, northern tip of Pine Island. Upper Captiva/Sanibel/Cayo Costa etc., is to the right of Pine Island as you look at the photo, it's the best area to cruise out of and depending on your Cape Coral location, ask Capt Bruce if he'd collect/return you to your vacation home as I know he has done this for others. Shout if I can help further

Bokeelia green flash at sunset

Old 29 Oct 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Totally agree unless you know anything about boats.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks for the info, this looks beautiful and would love to go on this boat and explore. Is it too much hassle getting your own boat then? I suppose we wont know where we are going unlike a pro. Probably best to leave it to the experts
Old 29 Oct 17, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

We used Banana Bay boat tours in CC and went out in their sunset cruise, saw dolphins and also went through a mangrove area.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
We used Banana Bay boat tours in CC and went out in their sunset cruise, saw dolphins and also went through a mangrove area.
Sounds fab, going to read some trip reports x
Old 29 Oct 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds fab, going to read some trip reports x
Loads of discount magazines had an offer for there, think was $5 off each person
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Thanks for the info, this looks beautiful and would love to go on this boat and explore. Is it too much hassle getting your own boat then? I suppose we wont know where we are going unlike a pro. Probably best to leave it to the experts
Whilst we've hired boats in the past Sandra it's less hassle to leave navigating Fl waters to a pro. You'll have Capt Bruce/his boat to yourselves for the day, leaving Pine Island directly into the Gulf towards the areas best beaches (Upper Captiva and Cayo Costa), no canals/river to navigate/take up time. Highlighted on this map is Pine Island Commercial Marina on Maria Road directly on Pine Island Sound. Zoom out slightly you'll see it's on the West side of Pine Island, straight into the Gulf for Upper Captiva et al. The Sound, islanders call it their playground
Old 30 Oct 17, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
brown78p
Proud to wear my Ears

We stayed in Cape Coral last year, split between two villas, the first week we had a wonderful villa with a boat included near the marina and the second week we stayed along nearer the bars etc. at the other end of town. We loved the area as it was both accessible to explore the coastline going south but we could walk out on an evening. With regards to the boat I think that if we returned, we are looking to do this next year, I would go down the route of using the captained boat. Whilst I loved driving the boat we had and the experience will live long my son was not so confident and it could spoil your time as it is not as easy as it seems, it also took 40 minutes to get out of the canal system and it was expensive.
brown78p is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

There are loads of Villas to rent in Cape Coral, it looks really lovely. What is the area like, nearest beaches, restaurants, shops etc? Probably just chill out by the pool but also like to do a bit of exploring. Thanks guys x
Hi Sandra

We’re just back from 2 weeks in Cape Coral, we stayed in Caprcoralfl’s villa and it was excellent. We had a lovely, chilled out holiday.

Cape Coral is really laid back and a great base for exploring the area. We visited some lovely beaches; we were way too excited when we saw 3 dolphins swimming really close to the beach at Lovers Key State Park, the locals must have thought we were mad!

Sanibel and Captiva are beautiful for beaches and also great places to eat.

DH and DS hired kayaks, close by, at Pine Island and DD and I ‘shopped till we dropped’ as the bargains are far better than Orlando, even with the exchange rate at the moment.

Cape Coral has a small beach at the yacht club and the Beach House restaurant there is a cool place to eat and watch the sun go down.

We had a day at Naples and did a sightseeing boat tour, we saw more dolphins and some of the biggest and most expensive houses I have ever laid eyes on! We wander around Tin City and then had our first ever Cheesecake Factory visit (yum...cheesecake!) at the Coastland Centre.

DH wanted to visit Downtown Fort Myers as it was used as one of the locations in a zombie movie (Day of the Dead, I think, or something equally horrific sounding ), I must admit I wasn’t looking forward to it but it was a lovely wee area for a visit and lunch.

The driving is so much easier down in the SW too, I don’t usually drive when we are in Orlando as the volume of traffic scares the life out of me but I drove a couple of times and it was really easy.

Have a look out for Young Pooh’s trip report from earlier this year, she did a good trip report about her trip to the area with her family.

I’m sure you will have a great time

Give me a shout if there is anything I can help you with.

Donna
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Thanks Donna is sounds amazing, I cannot wait to see some dolphins. We went on a boat trip on Anna Maria Island last year and it was after Hurricane Hermine, we hardly saw any just glimpsed a few fins in the distance! I would quite happily sit and stay at the beach, lake or canal all day!