Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Apr 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Parkie
Getting Excited

RR discovered that another batch of there 787 engines had problems so more 787 needed to be grounded. Think virgins 787bthat had the bad batch of engines are still grounded, it’s been a while as well
Parkie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridasun View Post
Looks like I'm gonna have a quiet flight. After research it appears this is due to a problem with the 787 engines having to be repaired or replaced. Not Norwegian's fault and it will affect all these planes with all airlines so there will potentially be further wet leases to follow. Virgin had to do this on some routes late last year as well. I am therefore reluctant to spend more money switching my flights if there is a chance of the new flight having the same issue.
It only affects 787 so you are safe with BA as they don’t fly that plane on their Florida routes.
swintonowl is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by swintonowl View Post
It only affects 787 so you are safe with BA as they don’t fly that plane on their Florida routes.
Yeah we've rebooked on the good old 747. Ill definitely be back with Norwegian though if they get through this.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Phew, (wipes sweat from brow! ) we were booked Norwegian for 27th June. Long story short, as with others here they offered me a full refund without quibble. Good service. Said yes, and have now managed to get booked in out favourite seats on Virgin, back left in PE.

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridasun View Post
We are flying out economy and home in premium. prices for that elsewhere now are high and it would be just my luck if I switched and the other airline did the same ! May just stick with it. Decisions decisions.
So if you can live with the lack of IFE and have a tablet or smartphone, everything else is the same, just a bit older.
Me I’d stick with it. If you go for VA remember the Jumbos are around 19 years old , one is 23 years old. so the same or older than the replacement Norwegian metal.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

Very true. One of the current virgin planes we flew on before our kids were born and eldest is 20 this year! I never rely on airplane food and take something so that doesn't bother me. Will have 2 ipads between us and I will put some stuff on my phone as the screen is big enough to watch. Will just be trying to sleep on the way home anyway. Gonna stick with it. Don't want Norwegian to go under as I love their flights normally and less competition just means higher prices in future!
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We were due to fly back from Miami-LGW on 09 Aug and got switched to Privilege Air, a company with just 4 aircraft, all ancient sheds. We had previously opted to fly on the 09 because it was £150pp less than our preferred 08 Aug. We phoned up Norwegian, who conceded (off record) that we had a very valid position in being unhappy as they had already moved us several months ago from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.
The rep then assured us that the MIA-LGW flight on 08 Aug was still a Norwegian 787, that he would move us on to it and that there would be no cost. Not happy, but a decent resolution.

We then had to move our Naples last night forward a day (no cost).
We then had to notify our villa owner in Davenport that we would be leaving a day early. (Will still be paying for it)
We will also be handing back our hire car a day early. (Will still be paying for it).

Let us hope that this is the last disruption to our planning !

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We were due to fly back from Miami-LGW on 09 Aug and got switched to Privilege Air, a company with just 4 aircraft, all ancient sheds. We had previously opted to fly on the 09 because it was £150pp less than our preferred 08 Aug. We phoned up Norwegian, who conceded (off record) that we had a very valid position in being unhappy as they had already moved us several months ago from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.
The rep then assured us that the MIA-LGW flight on 08 Aug was still a Norwegian 787, that he would move us on to it and that there would be no cost. Not happy, but a decent resolution.

We then had to move our Naples last night forward a day (no cost).
We then had to notify our villa owner in Davenport that we would be leaving a day early. (Will still be paying for it)
We will also be handing back our hire car a day early. (Will still be paying for it).

Let us hope that this is the last disruption to our planning !
I think you must have got a bad agent, the one I spoke to was excellent, different plane therefore no quibble refund. Cant believe it was so troublesome to move the day in the circumstances.

Unfortunately there are bad agents in most call centres.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
I think you must have got a bad agent, the one I spoke to was excellent, different plane therefore no quibble refund. Cant believe it was so troublesome to move the day in the circumstances.

Unfortunately there are bad agents in most call centres.
I wouldn’t say that he was bad. He gave me a number of options.. including a refund, flying with the dreaded Privilege Air.. or moving it forward a day, having established that the 8th was still a Norwegian Dreamliner. I took the option of the 8th.

The rep was indeed excellent. It is the airline that I am unhappy with. They should be wet leasing acceptable aircraft in order to cover their issue. Privilege clearly do not fit this criteria. I do not think that a 30 year old, extremely shabby B777 with 3x overhead TV screens is an acceptable alternative to a B787.

Sorry if my post was misleading.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I wouldn’t say that he was bad. He gave me a number of options.. including a refund, flying with the dreaded Privilege Air.. or moving it forward a day, having established that the 8th was still a Norwegian Dreamliner. I took the option of the 8th.

The rep was indeed excellent. It is the airline that I am unhappy with. They should be wet leasing acceptable aircraft in order to cover their issue. Privilege clearly do not fit this criteria. I do not think that a 30 year old, extremely shabby B777 with 3x overhead TV screens is an acceptable alternative to a B787.

Sorry if my post was misleading.

Ahh that's good then, yeah such a shame, I just knew if I stuck with the Priviledge Air option hubby would never fly Norwegian again. Hope they survive, you're right though, probably not the best tactic to retain bottoms on seats.