Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jul 08, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Originally Posted by annie-lisa View Post
hated every minute of it, it is dirty, run down with very unsavoury characters. it used to be a lovely place with a diner owned by an english family which had a mock up dungeon and london bus which you could eat your meal in, always packed with families.
When was this. Ive been going to Old Town since 2000 and never seen a dungeon or a London bus. There was a diner in 2000/2001, a bit like a 50s type theme, but the owners were American. Only shop owned by a Brit was the Brit Shop as far as I know.

Its also not dirty, its not Disney by any means, but its not dirty
Ive been to DTD on a Friday night when the place stunk of cigars, people walking with beer bottles and pools of vomit on the floor. Couldnt get out of there fast enough to go back to Old Town.

As for run down, some people just dont realise its meant to resemble a cracker town from the early 1900s. Those rusty roofs are meant to look like that.

Very unsavoury characters! ... that must have been myself , Suzie and our girls... and the THOUSANDS of people that go there each week for the cruise nites, including the locals that own those fantastic cars and bikes.

Stuart

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
chrispacket
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gilly120 View Post
My 3 boys did the sky coaster I can honestly say its the only thing that they have said they wouldn't go back on. They said the bit just before you pull the cord is truely terrifying. We bought the dvds and all I can say is that their language was very colourful and they screamed like girls.
we all love old town and love skycoaster(dh bottled it, will never let him live it down), my DD and myself did this two year ago, the scariest bit we thought was when we were being hoisted up 300ft into the air, everything getting smaller and smaller, when the guys shouted 321 fly DD couldn't find the ripcord thing to pull, found it then pulled , WOW absolutley amazing biggest best thrill of my life, can't wait to do it again...

As for the rest of old town we love it, my DS's love the old car cruise, they have bands playing, we plan to go there friday night after taking it easy during the day, will have a game of "play in the dark" mini golf first...

lorraine x x

Edited at 09:28 AM.
chrispacket is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

For many year have always enjoyed an afternoon and evening at Old Town - but after this year I wouldn't bother again. We went on a Sunday afternoon and it was heaving - large groups, that I assume were local, staggering around with drinks in their hands screaming and arguing. Most of the family groups were up by the old coke shop, it felt very frightening trying to walk up towards the 192 pushing through the crowd. There were plenty of police around but the atmosphere was not what we had experienced before.
paw is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Suzie&Stuart View Post
When was this. Ive been going to Old Town since 2000 and never seen a dungeon or a London bus. There was a diner in 2000/2001, a bit like a 50s type theme, but the owners were American. Only shop owned by a Brit was the Brit Shop as far as I know.

Stuart
well sorry to rain on your parade but we have been going twice a year since 1984 and i can assure you that the place was there. it was at the end on the right hand side . i can't for the life of me remember what it was called but it was there when old town first opened. it served cornish pasties, shepherds pies etc, i didn't expect to have to verify my comment with dates it opened and closed so i cannot furnish this piece with them.
it is very unlike any cracker town i have visited, most of them don't have grotty t-shirt shops and seedy looking bars, the people are gentle folk and are genuinely pleased to see tourist and extend great courtesy via their cafe within a drug store type places.

Edited at 05:27 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jaci
Apprentice Imagineer

well sorry to rain on your parade but we have been going twice a year since 1984 and i can assure you that the place was there. it was at the end on the right hand side . i can't for the life of me remember what it was called but it was there when old town first opened. it served cornish pasties, shepherds pies etc, i didn't expect to have to verify my comment with dates it opened and closed so i cannot furnish this piece with them.
it is very unlike any cracker town i have visited, most of them don't have grotty t-shirt shops and seedy looking bars, the people are gentle folk and are genuinely pleased to see tourist and extend great courtesy via their cafe within a drug store type places.
i'm with anna lisa on this one we go every year and only got back last month i agree it was a place we loved to go to one time! but this year it was filthy the toliets that I had the misfortune to go to were quite horrendous, and some real dodgy characters around I felt it had lost its sparkle and the people were falling out of the bars and blind drunk Hated it would only return during daylight hours i felt unsafe!
jaci is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post

We usually visit once every trip. We like going at the weekend to see the car show. I always have to visit Checkers too
Old 23 Jul 08, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
LaraB
Apprentice Imagineer

LaraB's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We go every time we visit, love the unusual shops, bit of a tradition to go to the corner store to buy a 25cents bottle of pepsi Have seen the car show there and enjoyed that too. Not brave enough to go on the sky coaster thingie though, far too scary for me.
Lindfields 2008 Coronado Springs 2010,
Lindfields 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2022
LaraB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 08, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

anna-lisa, i don't think my husband was actually asking you to verify anything, he was just curious to know where they were as we had not seen them in all the times that we have been to Old Town, he certainly wasn't asking for any sarcastic answers, after all this is an 'information board' where people ask questions!

Instead of going during the evening when the locals and the tourists are having a good time, why not try going during the day when there are just the tourists, they have lots of activities, schools drives and charities going on, just check out their website for details. It also gives news on upcoming new rides.

Suzie x

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 08, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Its defo worth a visit. The times we have been we have visited it on several times. We find it to have happy atmosphere all the time and there is a fair bit to do!

The go-carts are boss and the 300 feet swing is great. There is also a drag racer that is good fun!
Old 24 Jul 08, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Suzie&Stuart View Post
anna-lisa, i don't think my husband was actually asking you to verify anything, he was just curious to know where they were as we had not seen them in all the times that we have been to Old Town, he certainly wasn't asking for any sarcastic answers, after all this is an 'information board' where people ask questions!

Instead of going during the evening when the locals and the tourists are having a good time, why not try going during the day when there are just the tourists, they have lots of activities, schools drives and charities going on, just check out their website for details. It also gives news on upcoming new rides.

Suzie x
good god, does he have to have his wife to fight his battles for him?!
we have been several times day and night hoping it was just a blip never again, i stand by what i said, it was downright awful!
Closed Thread