Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Jul 04, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida_Bear
Imagineer

UK Parks

Went to American Adventure (Derbyshire) today, and crowds were conspicuous by there absence !
Maybe it was the overcast weather I don't know but it needs some serious updating IMHO.
Also spoke to my niece who went to Alton Towers last Saturday and they only managed to get on four rides all day because of the crowds !
I think some of the management of our parks need some lessons from our American cousins, or am I being to harsh ?
Opinions please.

Kind regards... Ted

Florida Bear's 2004 trip report day's one to twenty four
89,94,97,2000,2001,2002,2004,2006,2008,2010, 2011 Vegas & San Fran,2012,2014 LA/Anaheim/San Diego & DLP,2015
Florida_Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 04, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
onlyholly
Imagineer

We went to Flamingo Land today and it was quite busy considering it was drizzly and cold. We personally thought it was pretty run down and to be quite honest a dump.

The zoo part is a disgrace and IMO should be shut down. The animal enclosures are far to small for the animals and they had nothing to do other than pace up and down. The poor tigers and lynx just snarled and growled through the windows and were really angry to be in such a confined area - poor things.

We'll never go back - a complete waste of money.

Holly
onlyholly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 04, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

We are fairly near American Adventure but haven't been for the last 5 years - can't say I have ever enjoyed it when we have gone. DD went to Alton Towers earlier this year and had a great time but only because it was a weekday during school term so wasn't particularly busy.
Old 12 Jul 04, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida_Bear
Imagineer

Claire, My folks live in Codnor and we went to American Adventure on our way home and, I have to say it needs a good clean up and a lick of paint and some more adventurous rides.
I know the weather overcast yesterday but they surely cant survive on the amount of people we saw in the park yesterday.

Regards... Ted

89,94,97,2000,2001,2002,2004,2006,2008,2010, 2011 Vegas & San Fran,2012,2014 LA/Anaheim/San Diego & DLP,2015
Florida_Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 04, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I don't think you can compare UK Parks with US (certainly Orlando) ones IMO. That is not a fair competition.

We cannot go to a UK theme park now without getting all grumpy about how dirty/expensive/tacky/badly done it all is.

The UK parks have a LOT of catching up to do, to even begin to compete with our US cousins.

The theme parks I have been to in the US are in a whole different league, and we just don't bother with UK ones now.

Craig
Old 12 Jul 04, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Must agree with you there Craig you cannot compare them. Get me to Orlando and I cannot wait to hit the theme parks but at home I am just not bothered about them.
Old 12 Jul 04, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida_Bear
Imagineer

I agree with you both
There is NO comparison !

Regards... Ted

Old 12 Jul 04, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Just been thinking about this a bit more and the best way to describe the difference simply is this.

We went to Gulliver's World a couple of years ago, and my DDs had a decent day. But what struck me was -

1. The park was dirty
2. The uniforms worn by the staff in Gulliver's World (not CMs) were tatty, and just to ruin the effect nicely, they all wore their own footwear, so you got a tatty uniform or costume finished off with the member of staff's own trainers or shoes.

That just takes the shine off the magic.

When you compare that to the standard of uniforms in MK for example, they are immaculate all the time. Down to the detail of shoes, hats, hair...every detail.

And that is the difference... attention to detail.

I could rant on for ages about examples of fantastic attention to detail in WDW, but I would only bore you all.

Can you tell I like WDW

Craig
Old 12 Jul 04, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Can you tell I like WDW
I was beginning to think that maybe you did
Old 12 Jul 04, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
onlyholly
Imagineer

Before we married my husband travelled extensively around Theme Parks in the USA (coaster mad) and we don't compare anywhere with Disney - no-one can compete with them.

America also has it's fair share or dodgy parks. But ... there is no excuse for dirt, rusty unpainted rides, soggy greasy food, tatty uniforms, bad attitudes from staff, litter, countless broken down rides - the list is endless.

Holly

Edited at 03:11 PM.
onlyholly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread