Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jul 04, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post

I know what's missing from UK theme parks... atmosphere and cleanliness. When did you last see an overflowing rubbish bin or a crowd of drunken rowdy teenagers in Florida?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 04, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida_Bear
Imagineer

orlando_junkie, I totally agree UK parks have a lot to learn !

Regards... Ted

Florida Bear's 2004 trip report day's one to twenty four
89,94,97,2000,2001,2002,2004,2006,2008,2010, 2011 Vegas & San Fran,2012,2014 LA/Anaheim/San Diego & DLP,2015
Florida_Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 04, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by orlando_junkie
I know what's missing from UK theme parks... atmosphere and cleanliness. When did you last see an overflowing rubbish bin or a crowd of drunken rowdy teenagers in Florida?
December 2003. Language was discusting, time and place and all that.

We have given up with UK parks. I agree with what everyone else has says, dirty etc etc
Old 13 Jul 04, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

We went to Alton Towers last year - dreadful. Admittedly it was a busy Saturday in summer, but it closed early (6), was very dirty, staff were surly and inept, food was disgusting and very expensive and the locker area was disorganized.

To cap it all we had to wait for an hour for the monorail back to the car. We would have walked but had no idea where to go as there are no signposts and no pavements.

Disney and US may be expensive, but in comparison with this are extremely good value for money.
Old 13 Jul 04, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

To be honest with the exception of a couple of posts all the comparissons have been with small parks a nothing on the scale or with the funding of disney, universal or even six flags, but IMO Thorpe Park and Alton Towers arent that bad i've been to thorpe many times and has come along way and to be honest with you i dont think that its the staff in the parks but the visitors. A lot of them are between 14 and 30 and dont really care about the park or the other visitors so the company cant be blamed other than they dont have enough security like you do at disney. Tussauds need to spend the money on that rather than on many other things and also doesnt disney have special rules from the local government so it can build rides etc. the uk parks dont get anything like that look at the problems that Alton Towers has.

This is just my oppinion and im only 17 so i am complaining about people my age and whether you appriciate my oppinion its up to you.
Old 23 Jul 04, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lolly_pop
Apprentice Imagineer

i think thorpe park and chessington are the best theme parks in the uk by far
lolly_pop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 04, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi
were going to florida for the first time in nov
both my DH and i love coasters and theme parks in general (prob why were going) but we gave up on a lot of the parks in the uk a long time ago.
ive only been to american adventure once it was a long time ago not long after it opened and it was terrible ive never wanted to go back. ive also been to thorpe park and it was ok but nothing special.
they all seem to be fairly similar and in my experiance dont make as much effort with theming etc as parks in the us.
i last went to alton towers just before our wedding in 2001 we spent most of our time in the gardens waiting for the bus to take us home we'd done all the decent stuff in a morning and the rest wasnt worth the queueing time and its never seemed worth taking the DS's(4&1) the only stuff they have for kids that young is only a slightly fancier version of a park we have less than 10 miles away from where we live that we get into for free
i realise it might of improved since weve last been but i havnt heard anything good enough about it to make it worth the time effort and money it take to find out for myself
maybe im tight but id rather take my kids to somewhere im pretty sure theyll enjoy like the local park and save up for something special like WDW

jude(dgsDW)
Old 24 Jul 04, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by onlyholly

The zoo part is a disgrace and IMO should be shut down. The animal enclosures are far to small for the animals and they had nothing to do other than pace up and down. The poor tigers and lynx just snarled and growled through the windows and were really angry to be in such a confined area - poor things.

We'll never go back - a complete waste of money.

Holly
Intersting as I thought the same of Gatorland in Florida when we went 15 years ago. We left and sat on the coach and were told we were the only people to have ever complained. we are very spoilt i Jersey as we have Gerald Durrell's Wildlife Preservation Trust as a model.

Sue
Old 25 Jul 04, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Although it's very tame, I don't think Legoland can be faulted for cleanliness and atmosphere. I went to Chessington last year (after a break of 5 years) and was impressed at how much it had improved - maybe I was lucky that day. I do love Alton Towers but my main memory of that place is WASPS!

Libby
Libby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 04, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ceri
Imagineer

ceri's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't think you can really compare any of the UK parks to Disney/Universal, however we have had several very enjoyable days at Oakwood Park in Pembroke. Clean, polite staff, and good value if you go in after 4pm (1/2 price) then you get to see the fireworks too.
Ceri x

April 2001 Hawthorn Suites LBV,
April 2002 QIP,
Oct 2003 Homewood Suites Universal,
April 2005 Villa Greater Groves,
June 2005 Europa Park Germany,
Sept 2007 Boston, Fort Wilderness Cabin & HRH.
Nov /Dec 2008 HRH, Cypress Point & FW cabins.
Oct 2009 OKW & Boston
ceri is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread