Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Jul 12, 04:34 AM  
Link to this Post
vickyc651
Imagineer

I went for the first time 10 days ago and loved it, loved the atmosphere, the Car Cruise, the shops, but most importantly the people. There was a live band on and some of the locals where up Line Dancing... I found this very entertaining and would have stayed for hours watching them. I never felt or seen anything seedy what so ever. As Sophiepop said, "its like Marmite you'll either love it or hate it".
Old 3 Jul 12, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post

We used to go there every year but it seems to go downhill each time. I remember a cashier in the Checkers fast food place was shot & killed when someone tried to rob it at closing time.

It reminds me of Church Street Station, used to be a great place to visit, but last time there, nearly everything was closed down and there were junkies and hookers hanging about the street corners.

I'm not surprised that some folk will not go back, the place has certainly changed over the years and it is not better for it either.

Russ
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 12, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Russ View Post
It reminds me of Church Street Station, used to be a great place to visit, but last time there, nearly everything was closed down and there were junkies and hookers hanging about the street corners.

Russ
I can't even remember where this was!, i know it was very popular years ago but we never did get around to going there. It is never taked about anymore, i had forgot all about it until you mentioned it tbh.
Old 3 Jul 12, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
We love going to Old Town. Never felt unsafe there. It makes a nice change to all the theme parks
Same here, ok its abit rundown but i think it adds to its character, we always visit there at least once per trip.. I actually prefer being there at night to the daytime , we once went in the day and it was dead, no atmosphere at all.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 12, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

Russ
We went to Church Street Station on our first visit in 1998, it was day time and i hated the area around it . I'd never seen so many drunks and druggies hanging around one place before.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 12, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

Sanitised Disney it is not but i'd never miss a Saturday night visit for the cruise.

We went at Easter and felt completely safe.
shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 12, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post

cyclops

We took a drive there at night time last year and it wasn't what we expected at all! It looked very run-down and forgotten about. Hargly any lights were working. Not sure I'd feel safe on any rides there. It didn't have a comfortable feel about it either. The other night I saw a programme called dudettes do America, never seen the programme before but got excited when I realised they were going to a theme park in Orlando. Anyway that theme park turned out to be old town. Needless to say 10 minutes later we turned over as they were allowing these strange people to throw stuff at each other on the rides ext and they were being sick all over the place. Not very good advertising showing stuff like that in my opinion.

Edited at 07:42 PM.
Old 4 Jul 12, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We have been visiting Old Town for 25 years wouldn't missout on a Saturday night visit. We always go once during our stay, love to people watch as well as the old cars. We always have a listen to the band and watch the locals line dance. Seen a lot scarrier looking people here! In fact it is actually better than it used to be it went through a period when it was very run down and has become much busier again. We have never felt threatened.

Alison
Old 4 Jul 12, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

As a young teenager, i loved this place. bought one of they puppets and lasted all of 3 mins in the haunted house. over the years i think the problem is its needing a good freshen up i.e. painted etc. I felt more unsafe parking the car than i did walking up the actual main street. the surrounding areas need more lights etc.

I wouldn't say its proper dodgy, but i would advise to keep your wits about you. It seems to be a hang out for a lot of younger ones, which can be rather rowdy etc.

defo in need of a good paint job and some TLC.
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 12, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When I first visited in 2005 it was fun and lively, we ate at Damon's and spent quite a bit of time at Old Town over the two weeks.
Last time I visited in 2009 it felt like a totally different place. Very run down, lots of lights broken, drunks hanging about, just generally unsafe. I wouldn't go back when we go this year.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Aug 2005-Eagle Pointe Villas
Sept 2004-DLP Disneyland Hotel and New York Hotel
Adora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread