Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 14, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

OMG
So sorry for you
Just read your other posts and its like deja vous!
MY DH did EXACTLY the same thing when I went to DLP a few years back.

Didn't get involved in any planning, was happy to let me go ahead and book and when we got there was as miserable as sin!

I spent the first couple of days trying to 'please' him, in the hope he may actually enjoy the holiday despite himself.
I quickly came to realise he just didn't want to be there and no matter what I did it just wouldn't be enough for him.

Lesson learned. I have gone to Disney the past number of years with my DS or my DS and my mum. Both of whom love the magic.

Sometimes I wish he could experience what we have BUT if he's happy at home then fine.

I should've seen the signs earlier but didn't and had to 'make do' on the DLP trip.
Not ideal but I did negotiate a few hours on my own (felt strange at first) BUT came to enjoy it as NO STRESS of trying to keep him happy!

I hope he sees sense. If it's not his thing, then fine. Ask him not to spoil your holiday and agree on a compromise to get you both through it all.

Come back again (as I did with my DS and my mum) with someone who is passionate about it or will at least give it a try.

sending you some pixie dust
xx

EDITED: Just noticed you mentioned a 'weight' thing.Is that it? Is he self-conscious of his weight? Scared he may not fit in anything?or get stuck? Is he feeling the 'heat' too much? Notice you've done really well with your weight loss.mmmmm
Just wondered?

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 11:13 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 14, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bungle4x4 View Post
reigs gun shop by the mall at millenia
I don't think she had murder on her mind
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 14, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bungle4x4
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I don't think she had murder on her mind

I shouldn't laugh, but i have just spat tea all over my computer
Old 13 May 14, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by lindaj View Post
I feel really sorry for you, it's obviously completely spoiling your holiday too. Did he want to go in the first place or was he against it from the beginning? Is he like this when he is at home and do you do things together normally or is he the sort of man who likes to go out with his friends? I know there are a lot of questions, but it sounds to me that he never wanted to go in the first place and it's probably because there is something at home he would rather be doing, what I don't know, but thats what it seems to me! I am fortunate I have a DH who loves Orlando as much as me, and we both count the days from one year to the next when we will be back there, mainly because we both work very hard (although I have retired recently so it's not so bad for me) but DH does lots of miles as he is an Area Sales Manager and the pressure he works under is really hard, so to have two weeks where we don't need to think about work, housework, bills etc is wonderful. As someone else said, I would let him know you are looking for earlier flights home and see if that makes him see sense! The other thing you could do is tell him to make his own plans and you just go and do your own thing. Hope things improve.
He has always known I wanted to do orlando but it was him that went to the TA and booked it! All with good intentions I know but why do it when he knew he didn't really want to?! I know he's obviously done it for me but it's backfired x
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 14, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Queen of Herts
Imagineer

Queen of Herts's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like he needs a kick up the ####. Really sorry to hear he is spoiling your holiday. Leave him to organise his own holiday and you get out and have some fun.
Queen of Herts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 14, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
OMG
So sorry for you
Just read your other posts and its like deja vous!
MY DH did EXACTLY the same thing when I went to DLP a few years back.

Didn't get involved in any planning, was happy to let me go ahead and book and when we got there was as miserable as sin!

I spent the first couple of days trying to 'please' him, in the hope he may actually enjoy the holiday despite himself.
I quickly came to realise he just didn't want to be there and no matter what I did it just wouldn't be enough for him.

Lesson learned. I have gone to Disney the past number of years with my DS or my DS and my mum. Both of whom love the magic.

Sometimes I wish he could experience what we have BUT if he's happy at home then fine.

I should've seen the signs earlier but didn't and had to 'make do' on the DLP trip.
Not ideal but I did negotiate a few hours on my own (felt strange at first) BUT came to enjoy it as NO STRESS of trying to keep him happy!

I hope he sees sense. If it's not his thing, then fine. Ask him not to spoil your holiday and agree on a compromise to get you both through it all.

Come back again (as I did with my DS and my mum) with someone who is passionate about it or will at least give it a try.

sending you some pixie dust
xx

EDITED: Just noticed you mentioned a 'weight' thing.Is that it? Is he self-conscious of his weight? Scared he may not fit in anything?or get stuck? Is he feeling the 'heat' too much? Notice you've done really well with your weight loss.mmmmm
Just wondered?
I think he is self conscious about his weight, the holiday didn't get off to a great start because he had to ask for a belt extension on the plane because It wouldn't fasten (this has never happened before). He is scared he won't fit in the rides I know that for a fact but I also don't think he's keen on thrill rides (which is fine, each to their own). He is feeling the heat massively, I'm actually fine, I mean yes it's hot but I've coped and normally I can't bare heat. He has said he's going to do SW with me when we're home but I think he has realised that losing 4 stone has made my life a LOT easier out here. I have lots more energy, I cope well with the heat and I certainly don't worry about not being able to fit into rides.

I know what it's like to be big, I was 17.5 stone for goodness sake, I'd rather he spoke to me about his worries rather than letting it make him miserable.
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 14, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by beautybutterfly View Post
I think he is self conscious about his weight, the holiday didn't get off to a great start because he had to ask for a belt extension on the plane because It wouldn't fasten (this has never happened before). He is scared he won't fit in the rides I know that for a fact but I also don't think he's keen on thrill rides (which is fine, each to their own). He is feeling the heat massively, I'm actually fine, I mean yes it's hot but I've coped and normally I can't bare heat. He has said he's going to do SW with me when we're home but I think he has realised that losing 4 stone has made my life a LOT easier out here. I have lots more energy, I cope well with the heat and I certainly don't worry about not being able to fit into rides.

I know what it's like to be big, I was 17.5 stone for goodness sake, I'd rather he spoke to me about his worries rather than letting it make him miserable.
I know exactly where he's coming from.
I've lost 3 stone so far and have a lot lot more to go. I'm much heavier than you were!
I was mortified the first time I had to get a seat extender and worried sick I wouldn't be able to go on the rides with my DS.
He probably feels worse because he sees how the loss of weight has given you loads of energy and he wishes he had too! probably a bit depressed by it all poor thing!

I also feel the heat terribly.

You'll have to plan around this.
Does he get up early? If not, do it.
Get him up at the crack of dawn and do the parks very very early morning when its cool.
If you are on-site (even if you're not), go back to your hotel in the afternoon to relax OR go to a shopping mall (air conditioned) or have lunch in a cool restaurant.
Take a dip in the pool and later get ready to return to parks in the evening (when its cool)or do some of the activities mentioned.

Use the water fountains in the park to fill up water bottles and make sure you both have at least 2 water bottles at any one time.
Buy a sweatband for his wrist so he can mop up his forehead.

Above all try to relax and talk about his fears and preferences when you are both not fighting!

I do so hope you can 'salvage' the remaining days.
plan around air conditioning and cool breaks.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 14, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

So sorry that he's spoiling it for you

I honestly would leave him to sulk and go and try and have some fun of your own!
He won't like it but he sounds like he's being a complete idiot either way.

Really hope your holiday gets better! Do things to please yourself too x
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 14, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd be fuming with him. Not only is he spoiling your holiday and creating bad memories, he is effectively wasting thousands of pounds. Completely selfish, leave him at the hotel with the newspaper.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 14, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
I know exactly where he's coming from.
I've lost 3 stone so far and have a lot lot more to go. I'm much heavier than you were!
I was mortified the first time I had to get a seat extender and worried sick I wouldn't be able to go on the rides with my DS.
He probably feels worse because he sees how the loss of weight has given you loads of energy and he wishes he had too! probably a bit depressed by it all poor thing!

I also feel the heat terribly.

You'll have to plan around this.
Does he get up early? If not, do it.
Get him up at the crack of dawn and do the parks very very early morning when its cool.
If you are on-site (even if you're not), go back to your hotel in the afternoon to relax OR go to a shopping mall (air conditioned) or have lunch in a cool restaurant.
Take a dip in the pool and later get ready to return to parks in the evening (when its cool)or do some of the activities mentioned.

Use the water fountains in the park to fill up water bottles and make sure you both have at least 2 water bottles at any one time.
Buy a sweatband for his wrist so he can mop up his forehead.

Above all try to relax and talk about his fears and preferences when you are both not fighting!

I do so hope you can 'salvage' the remaining days.
plan around air conditioning and cool breaks.
I think this is going to be the plan of actions from now on, when we first arrived he couldn't understand why people were doing parks over 2 days and I explained that it gets really hot around 2/3pm so people go home, he didn't believe me to start with but now I think he knows what I was on about. I think what we are going to do from now is do parks very early when they open and I've said that we will leave by 2pm to go back to the villa and if I haven't done what I've wanted we will go back another day.

We have just both done a list of what we have enjoyed and also a list of what we would like to do which has helped break the negativity cycle which he had got himself into and it's made me feel better that he has actually enjoyed some stuff.

Thanks so much for your advice *hugs*
Closed Thread