Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 22, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great experience BHX-MLB

Just thought I would share our positive experience of flying TUI from Birmingham to Melbourne. The run up to this trip had been quite stressful and I found it hard at times with worries about testing ( thankfully gone) forms, queues, delays, cancellations. So thought I would share our great experience.

We flew out yesterday (19th) from Birmingham. We arrived at the airport at 6.25am and there were no queues. We were through check in and security in about 20 mins, most of that spent walking through. At check in we needed our Estas, attestation forms and vaccine proof, but I had already printed it out which made it very easy. I know there was a thread on the current issues forum about forms, folders etc but in all honesty I would highly recommend printing out the few bits of paper as it made the whole process very straightforward. TUI have updated the attestation form to remove the need for a testing but it hadn’t been updated on their website. They emailed us the forms the day before we flew and we just printed them at home.

The gate was called on time but we were delayed boarding. The announcement said it was a technical issue but we overheard the ground staff talking that the meals hadn’t been loaded yet so think it was a ground handling issues. We took off about an hour late and the flight was good. The plane wasn’t full so you could have a row to yourself if you pleased. We were in bog standard economy and had two complimentary drink services ( incl alcohol), lunch and afternoon tea. You could also get drinks anytime from the galley. The food was fine, not outstanding, but edible and I have definitely had worse! The entertainment was limited but we found stuff to watch and had loaded our own iPads with films etc too. Headphones were handed out free of charge too. The staff were really friendly and made a fuss of the kids on board, which was a nice touch.

We landed only 40 mins after the original scheduled arrival time and Melbourne airport was a dream. You pick your luggage up first then clear immigration. As we were the only flight that landed at that time, there were no massive queues and everyone was really friendly as we walked through and kept saying, ‘hello and welcome.’ We even had a laugh with the immigration officer who noticed our son is turning 18 in a few days and joked with him that he couldn’t drink but could drive mum and dad to a bar instead.

We then picked up our hire car with Alamo, booked through Andy. As the airport is undergoing massive renovation the hire car desk was in a marquee just outside the front of the airport. Again no queue and the woman on the desk was super friendly with no hard sell to upgrade. A few mins later we walked out the marquee and into a small car park where our car was waiting.

10 minutes later we were picking up snacks in Walmart and then drove to our hotel on the beach at Melbourne as we like it here. We are doing a mini road trip for a week then heading to universal for our son’s 18th. We checked into the hotel which is right on the beach and there was live music. Apparently it was Reggae Sunday so we unpacked and headed to the bar/ restaurant on the beach, ordered some food, drank a cocktail and some beers, enjoying the fab live reggae band before having a walk on the beach and paddle.

Over the last two years there have been times when I never thought we would get back to the US and wondered if international travel would ever be the same. However it feels so great to be back. I’ll leave you with some words from one of my favourite country artists, Zach Brown

“Got my toes in the water
ass in the sand
not a worry in the world
a cold beer in my hand
life is good today”

Edited at 09:55 AM.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
KezL
Trying for More Ears

Thank you so much for your reassuring message. We fly there in August and you have put my mind at rest! Hope you have a wonderful vacation and your son has a very special birthday x
KezL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
derek1973
Earning More Ears

Same here

I’d just like to echo the sentiments about the TUI flights to Melbourne. We are here now after flying from Gatwick on Saturday 18 June. Long journey from the North East to Gatwick but trains and North Terminal Premier Inn were great.
Check in and security the next morning, while busy, went seamlessly with lots of good customer service, and direction, throughout.
Our flight was on time, really good cabin crew and good meals onboard.
And Melbourne airport was just a breeze. Through and on the road to Aventura in well under an hour. Baggage claim and security nice and easy with lots of staff around to help, and they all looked happy to do that. Alamo car hire in the tent was fabulous, a really helpful lady who couldn’t do enough for us with an easy car pick up out the back.
For us going forward Virgin and BA will have a job on to beat this experience and price from TUI. I wonder if they will react in a positive way. We are already looking at TUI for later in the year and will for next year.
derek1973 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Great to hear your experiences and have an amazing trip! We are flying next week from Bristol. Can I ask what the meal choices were in economy? I am a fussy eater so just working out how much food to bring on board! Thanks
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Great to hear your experiences and have an amazing trip! We are flying next week from Bristol. Can I ask what the meal choices were in economy? I am a fussy eater so just working out how much food to bring on board! Thanks
We had no choice and the main meal was chicken tomato pasta - as I say not amazing but edible, but like a ready meal. The tea was a cheese and cucumber roll and a brownie. So I would suggest bringing food if you are not sure. Have a great trip
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
We had no choice and the main meal was chicken tomato pasta - as I say not amazing but edible, but like a ready meal. The tea was a cheese and cucumber roll and a brownie. So I would suggest bringing food if you are not sure. Have a great trip
Thanks so much! If we get the same food as that I would be pretty happy. I will bring plenty of snacks just in case though

Thanks again!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post

We are flying to Melbourne from Newcastle in September. Sounds as if the airport itself is a breeze, though I do hold a soft spot for Sanford❤️.

Terrific start to your holiday OP!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List