Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Aug 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Otherwise, if you really want to avoid tolls, set your sat nav to 'avoid toll roads' but this may increase your travel time substantially!
My BIL did this on his phone satnav back in 2011. It got very confused at one stage and we ended up driving up/down the same road several times. We'd go about 1/2 mile and it would say "make a u-turn" LOL

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Cairnsy
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Depends whereabouts in Orlando you want to be.

The US27 can be picked up a few hundred yards from the MIA car garage. US27 all the way to I-4 or US192 toll free. Dual carriageway or better all the way.

Just to add that all Sunpass schemes in Florida are "toll by plate". Basically driving through a Sunpass lane will enable it by photographing your plate. All explained here.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Car...mes-p-517.html

and here

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Mick
Mick
Do you have to reduce speed when approaching the Sunpass lanes or can you drive through at highway speed?
Cairnsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Cairnsy View Post
Mick
Do you have to reduce speed when approaching the Sunpass lanes or can you drive through at highway speed?
I haven't driven through every toll plaza but the ones on 417 like this one you can drive through at the normal highway speed.

However there is one on the Osceola Parkway when driving east just before the Loop where there's a posted limit of 25 mph. No photo of this one. Might be others but are clearly signed.

Mick
Old 14 Aug 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bean-disney View Post
We are flying into and from Miami in October and driving straight up to Orlando, is there a way to avoid toll roads or is it inevitable we will come across some? We have our car with Avis can we still get the sun pass if needed? Thanks
If you look at Miami airport on google maps you will see the car hire garage to the right of the airport. If you look upwards you will see Highway 27 is marked. Put in your route and it will most likely automatically take you up the A1A. Drag the blue line across so that it sits on Hwy27 and you should avoid all tolls unless you take a wrong turn. The tolls work on a number plate recognition system so don't worry about that.
Old 14 Aug 18, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
bean-disney
Apprentice Imagineer

bean-disney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks for all your answers
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
KemlynUltra
Helping Minnie

Hi - sorry to jump in on this thread but I’m doing the drive from Miami to Orlando on Friday with Alamo.

Reading the thread above I’m assuming I can jump in the car, drive through any express lane, and i’ll be charged the toll cost on my credit card in a few weeks time plus $3.95 admin. Is that right?

Sorry if I’m being thick, when I arrive at MCO I always use the cash lanes.
KemlynUltra is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by KemlynUltra View Post
Hi - sorry to jump in on this thread
but I’m doing the drive from Miami to Orlando on Friday with Alamo.

Reading the thread above I’m assuming I can jump in the car, drive through any express lane, and i’ll be charged the toll cost on my credit card in a few weeks time plus $3.95 admin. Is that right?

Sorry if I’m being thick, when I arrive at MCO I always use the cash lanes.

Done my share of tolls in the greater Orlando area but never the Turnpike in Dade County. Didn't know there were express lanes or if they cost more I'm afraid.

There are some Dibbers who always use it from MIA so hopefully they'll be along to help soon.

Mick
Old 16 Aug 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MOONCHESTER
Very Serious Dibber

MOONCHESTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
On the turnpike it's 25mph through some tolls
MOONCHESTER is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List