Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 18, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kl is excited
Excited about Disney

Anyone flown to Miami via Atlanta recently with Virgin/Delta?

We haven’t flown this route before and wondered whether anyone has done this recently and if so could share you experience. We are flying with Virgin from Manchester to Atlanta and then with Delta to Miami. We know we will have to take our cases through customs but where do we go from there with the cases. Also did you get both sets of boarding cards at Manchester or do we need to go to Deltas checkin desks on arrival at Atlanta. Thanks for any tips or advice you might be able to share.
kl is excited is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
taleasoldastime
Getting Excited

Mobile

Following as also doing this route shortly
taleasoldastime is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
joolsleeds
Apprentice Imagineer

joolsleeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi,

Yes I've done this a few times, so here's a few things:
- You'll get seats and boarding cards for both planes in MAN
- Immigration is similar to many airports in the US - sometimes you'll get there and it's empty, other times, packed... just the luck of the draw!
- You clear customs in ATL, and will need to collect and drop bags there too
- ATL is HUGE. The connection times I've had with Virgin/Delta have been ample, and enable me to make the connection without any issue
- You will leave the International terminal and travel to one of the domestic terminals (there are 5 of them) via an underground train
- There's loads of signs and people at the end of escalators, you'll find it hard to get lost
- There are plenty of eateries there too

Overall, it's not bad as airports go, and it's not a bad route! The last time I did this route, the Delta aircraft was brand new!

Enjoy
joolsleeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
kl is excited
Excited about Disney

Thanks for this information you have helped put my mind at rest. Atlanta is a new airport to us so this has made me feel easier. Also knowing we both sets of boarding passes at Manchester is good news as we don’t have to queue again in Atlanta to do this. Thanks again for your help.
Originally Posted by joolsleeds View Post
Hi,

Yes I've done this a few times, so here's a few things:
- You'll get seats and boarding cards for both planes in MAN
- Immigration is similar to many airports in the US - sometimes you'll get there and it's empty, other times, packed... just the luck of the draw!
- You clear customs in ATL, and will need to collect and drop bags there too
- ATL is HUGE. The connection times I've had with Virgin/Delta have been ample, and enable me to make the connection without any issue
- You will leave the International terminal and travel to one of the domestic terminals (there are 5 of them) via an underground train
- There's loads of signs and people at the end of escalators, you'll find it hard to get lost
- There are plenty of eateries there too

Overall, it's not bad as airports go, and it's not a bad route! The last time I did this route, the Delta aircraft was brand new!

Enjoy
kl is excited is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BoltofLight
Trying for More Ears

I did this connection for the first time on the way home last week with my family and it was pretty good.

We got into Atlanta with 1 hour 30 to find the plane to Manchester. There is a "Plane Train" which connects all of the terminals on the lower ground floor and we travelled from Terminal B to F which was super easy.

I had just enough time to backtrack from our gate and find the Starbucks in Terminal F before they announced boarding on the plane to Manchester (50 mins before take off)!
BoltofLight is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
POFQfan
slightly serious Dibber

Just got back today flying this route with Virgin and Delta. All details were as described and it was very easy both going and coming back. We had a 3.5 hour layer each way which I thought was perfect allowing us not to have to rush either way and get a decent meal and drink with a little time to look around the shops. The flight down to Miami is so short too that it feels more like a bus journey. Having connected through a lot of different US airports Atlanta is my favourite for Florida.
POFQfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:16 AM  
Link to this Post
kl is excited
Excited about Disney

Thanks this is very reassuring. Hope our journey goes as well as yours did.
Originally Posted by POFQfan View Post
Just got back today flying this route with Virgin and Delta. All details were as described and it was very easy both going and coming back. We had a 3.5 hour layer each way which I thought was perfect allowing us not to have to rush either way and get a decent meal and drink with a little time to look around the shops. The flight down to Miami is so short too that it feels more like a bus journey. Having connected through a lot of different US airports Atlanta is my favourite for Florida.