Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Aug 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
August is also hurricanes and thunderstorms. Both interfere with airline travel. My kids had the last week of February (week after President's Day) for vacation and after the weekend, it was always pretty quiet. I loved landing in the warmth after leaving the freezing northeast. Not fun if you arrive back in a snowstorm though.

End of May has grad weeks so there may be a lot of school trips (older teens, no parents).

I personally think the weather is much better in February than either May-June or August but I hate the horrible heat.
I think if we don't do Aug it'll be Feb. but maybe the week before half term.
read that there's marathon on the weekend after President wkend.
GEMTREACLE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by GEMTREACLE View Post
it's so hard as we have to factor a half term in. we don't want to do Oct next year incase star wars open and it'll be manic. also if we go august we not tied to when we can go so much. the kids may miss couple days of school. would be nice to try diff time of year.
the only thing with Aug is the heat. it does scare me a little as my kids can be moany lol . but like you say all the water parks open.
also worry the price will be too much for flights and hubby will then say no!
decisions! 🤔🤔
hmm difficult.

A lot of people writing here seem to think Feb is good, maybe that's not such a bad option - the summer heat is intense. I think you would have to be very unlucky to get a long spell of cold weather, so there should be enough sunny/warm weather for the waterparks, which will be much quieter. Somebody posted in another blog that they went to universals volcano bay in Feb, they were a bit concerned about the reviews talking about crowds, but the day they went, locals - even the taxi driver - said are you sure you want to go today as it's so cold. He said it was 23c - very pleasant by our standards - and the park was very quiet :-)

The only thing we find with going in the winter are flight options - thomson is the only one who fly from bristol, but they only go there March to October. I prefer going with thomson as they fly into sanford instead or orlando

btw, if you like water - have you ever tried any of the spring state parks?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by MikeyUK View Post
hmm difficult.

A lot of people writing here seem to think Feb is good, maybe that's not such a bad option - the summer heat is intense. I think you would have to be very unlucky to get a long spell of cold weather, so there should be enough sunny/warm weather for the waterparks, which will be much quieter. Somebody posted in another blog that they went to universals volcano bay in Feb, they were a bit concerned about the reviews talking about crowds, but the day they went, locals - even the taxi driver - said are you sure you want to go today as it's so cold. He said it was 23c - very pleasant by our standards - and the park was very quiet :-)

The only thing we find with going in the winter are flight options - thomson is the only one who fly from bristol, but they only go there March to October. I prefer going with thomson as they fly into sanford instead or orlando

btw, if you like water - have you ever tried any of the spring state parks?
spring state parks?

my son does feel the cold when swimming. do they heat water parks in Feb? also noticed typhoon lagoon be closed which isn't a problem. when we got October time usually 1 is closed.
GEMTREACLE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post

spring state parks?

my son does feel the cold when swimming. do they heat water parks in Feb? also noticed typhoon lagoon be closed which isn't a problem. when we got October time usually 1 is closed.
Yeah sometimes one of the disney waterparks will be closed at a time in the winter (I thought that was normally January though). The water is heated to around 82f (27c), but obviously it can still feel a bit chilly if the air temp is cool.

I've never actually been there on holiday in the winter, well November once, but when I worked there (when typhoon lagoon and discovery cove were the two waterparks) I do remember they were much quieter in the winter as it was too cold for the locals. But if one park is closed, that will increase the numbers at the other. I also remember that whilst it was usually very pleasantly warm during the day 95% of the time, it was cool first thing and did start to cool down quite a bit late afternoon, getting quite chilly in the eve from Dec to Feb. The downside of this is that you might not want to use the hotel pool in the evening. Something we always enjoy doing in the autumn.

All said, I had been working out there since the summer so had got used to the heat, when you have been there in august, february feels cold, but coming direct from the UK it may still 'feel' warm at night too.

State parks in the US are like mini National Parks, operated at state level, smaller and less crowded. Florida has a lot of very beautiful natural springs that you can go visit, walk around, boat on, swim in (though the water temp is usually only around 72f).

Good if you are looking for a day away from the parks. There are lots, and you need a car, two of my faves are - search for Wekiwa Springs State Park and Blue Springs State Park - google images give a good idea

:-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by MikeyUK View Post
Yeah sometimes one of the disney waterparks will be closed at a time in the winter (I thought that was normally January though). The water is heated to around 82f (27c), but obviously it can still feel a bit chilly if the air temp is cool.

I've never actually been there on holiday in the winter, well November once, but when I worked there (when typhoon lagoon and discovery cove were the two waterparks) I do remember they were much quieter in the winter as it was too cold for the locals. But if one park is closed, that will increase the numbers at the other. I also remember that whilst it was usually very pleasantly warm during the day 95% of the time, it was cool first thing and did start to cool down quite a bit late afternoon, getting quite chilly in the eve from Dec to Feb. The downside of this is that you might not want to use the hotel pool in the evening. Something we always enjoy doing in the autumn.

All said, I had been working out there since the summer so had got used to the heat, when you have been there in august, february feels cold, but coming direct from the UK it may still 'feel' warm at night too.

State parks in the US are like mini National Parks, operated at state level, smaller and less crowded. Florida has a lot of very beautiful natural springs that you can go visit, walk around, boat on, swim in (though the water temp is usually only around 72f).

Good if you are looking for a day away from the parks. There are lots, and you need a car, two of my faves are - search for Wekiwa Springs State Park and Blue Springs State Park - google images give a good idea

:-)
supposed Feb is a gamble for weather.
I think I will see what prices we can get for Aug and if too high we may have to do Feb.
Old 18 Aug 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

We did 2 weeks in feb 2016. Half term and the week before. Presidents weekend was busier but it was fine. 12°c the first week, 28-30°c the 2nd. Rained once. We go again on 7th February
MTEC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by MTEC View Post
We did 2 weeks in feb 2016. Half term and the week before. Presidents weekend was busier but it was fine. 12°c the first week, 28-30°c the 2nd. Rained once. We go again on 7th February
wow 12 then 28 ... that's a difference 😱
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

wow 12 then 28 ... that's a difference 😱
Yup! It wasn't bad though. We wore hoodies/cardis the first week. It was easier doing the parks in that rather than.the hot weather. Much less moaning off the kids.
MTEC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

We only found presidents weekend busy. The rest of our 2 weeks were quiet. Yes it does fall in.half term but we managed absolutely fine.
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
GEMTREACLE
Earning My Ears

Mobile

just when I'd decided on August my friend is I've there now and says it soooo hot and they are struggling time.
what to do 🤔🤔