Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Flying alone a breeze have been upgraded several times asxi was a solo traveler and sombody wanted seats next to each other
Immigration cool confident and my paperwork is fine confidence
When they ask are you travelling alone yes I am that's it unless they ask then it's for me because I love it here and feel safe on my own
Eating out a book or a kindle your best friend or as I've done before respondedcto a couple of solo dibb travelers and we've met up and had lovely evenings
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I have just booked my flight for next month to go solo to Orlando. I have been on lots of solo holidays, including DLP earlier this year.

Got a great price for my flight too
Old 18 Aug 18, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Never done WDW but have done NYC (twice), HK, Las Vegas, Kuala Lumpar, Montreal and Bangkok on my own. The last three I did trip reports (in my signature).

I love travelling on my own (even though I am married with two teenagers). We call it my recharging time! I do a lot more than I would do with my family! My very own boot camp

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

See, all positive again. I guess you must be of a certain character to go it alone, that’s why it’s all good.
I keep thinking about it, and the only place I would do it is Orlando. I’m sure I’d get lonely in the evening after the parks have closed though.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I did my first solo in 2015 for my 50th birthday had been through a horrendous divorce and ongoing health problems. I have been three previous times with xdh it took me to 2014 to get a fit to fly certificate.
It was the best thing I ever did did what I wanted when I wanted how I want it found many people to chat to in the parks and including some restaurants.
I was supposed to go back last year but unfortunately I had bad health problems return at the beginning of last year and I had to cancel the villa owner was very understanding and allowed me to move my booking to November this year and I can't wait I only have 10 days this year but am forward planning to 20 20 with another three weeks

Edited at 06:56 AM.
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I have enough airmiles to do Vegas on my own and am seriously considering it. The freedom of doing what I like seems fantastic. I don't drink gamble, so I'd be doing very little I don't do when I do with the family. But the kids constant looking selfie opportunities can be annoying. DD has as many outfit changes as there are moving walkways in Vegas for this reason and it drives me nuts,lol. Plus I'd finally get to do the Valley of fire. They wanted to do the Grand Canyon as I prefer not to drive there now, couldn't afford to do both. I think I'm actually talking myself into this,lol
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stecee View Post
I’ve read a lot of posts and trip reports of solo trips and I can’t remember any that have been negative.
So, has anyone been on a solo holiday and really not enjoyed being on their own ?
I have been on two solo holidays to Orlando. The only part I did not fully enjoy was meals. When we would go as a family, that was an important time of the day, as it is at home, where we would talk about the day, general chat and talk about what we are doing the next day.

At meals I am not sociable when it comes to strangers, so I would take my kindle to read while I ate, but I so missed not having family to share the meal/day with. Apart from that, I loved the solo holiday Roll on the next one
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
blondie28143
Very Serious Dibber

See, all positive again. I guess you must be of a certain character to go it alone, that’s why it’s all good.
I keep thinking about it, and the only place I would do it is Orlando. I’m sure I’d get lonely in the evening after the parks have closed though.
This would also be my concern. I posted a thread a while ago asking how safe you feel walking about on a solo trip. My worries were walking in the resort to my room after a long day at the park. (I get nervous putting the bins out in the dark. 🤣&#129315
I wondered if I would feel lonely/isolated at nights in my room.
I've not been brave enough to book. 🤣

There are some vlogs on solo travellers to Disbeyworld on Youtube too.

Great reading everyone's responses here. 👍

blondie28143 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
Reading this thread is so positive though 😊 Dining alone and flying/immigration alone are the main areas of worry
Dining alone was a concern for me before but I got that out of my system after my first solo Disney trip (in 2012 so a while back now!). And now I'll happily go to TS and character meals on my own (restaurants I've been to solo include California Grill brunch, CRT, Garden Grill). I just bring my iPhone, and either read a book, come on the Dibb, go on Facebook, read Disney blogs, or just randomly surf the net. The CMs have always been fantastic whenever I've been on my own.

If you want to try it out - you could find a restaurant local to you and see if you're happy dining alone there, with a book?

Flying - I've been flying long haul alone since I was 18, but nothing to be too worried about flying alone provided you know how to find your gate at the airports! And once you're on the plane there's usually IFE or other things to do so you're occupied anyway.

The main worry I always have about flying alone is leaving my bag alone under the seat in front of me when I go to the loo on the plane. These days I bring a little bag just large enough for my passport/wallet/phone/valuables, and bring that little bag along with me to the loo (there's even a hook in the loo you can hang it on), so less worries about people who might opportunistically take things from my bag that I've left at my seat.

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
I have just booked my flight for next month to go solo to Orlando. I have been on lots of solo holidays, including DLP earlier this year.

Got a great price for my flight too
Have lots and lots of fun!

Well I never thought I'd do so many solo trips before - always seemed strange to me to do Disney alone. Until I did my first Disney solo trip (was in California for a conference and couldn't find anyone else to go to Disneyland with me) and enjoyed it lots, and that opened up a whole new world of Disney solo trips for me and I've since done a lot of Disney solo trips!

The parks also close really late, and usually by the time I get back to my room I'm exhausted from a whole day in the parks, so no time to feel lonely!
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blondie28143 View Post
This would also be my concern. I posted a thread a while ago asking how safe you feel walking about on a solo trip. My worries were walking in the resort to my room after a long day at the park. (I get nervous putting the bins out in the dark. 🤣&#129315
I wondered if I would feel lonely/isolated at nights in my room.
I've not been brave enough to book. 🤣
This is why I only stay on site on my WDW trips. Have never felt unsafe while on Disney property, and that includes times when I've left MK way after midnight (EMH, MNSSHP, DAH, and other times when MK closes late). I usually stay in Pop too so that's all open walking and I've not felt unsafe walking back to my room at 3am alone before! But if you were really worried then there's always places like BC which are all indoors (though it's also a lot more pricey).

WDW is one of the few places in the world where I'd feel comfortable/safe heading back so late at night alone...