Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Aug 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Sorry to jump on this, but hoping someone may be able to help!
I have booked directly with Avis for care hire in Canada and joined Avis preferred on checkout. I have read some things that say I can add on a second driver if they are a spouse for free and other things saying I can add a second driver by amending my details (but it crashes every time I open this page!). I need to add my partner as a second driver (live together but not married). Anyone know if I need to add him on in advance (I will have to call to do this) or if I can add him for free on arrival?

Thanks all!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dannigizmo
Serious Dibber

Hi another happy avis customer! We have been doing the BA fly drive fir few years now. Never any hard sell in last couple years been straight to garage no probs at all!
dannigizmo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Liz
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 34
Thought I'd jump on this rather than start a new thread.
Looking to book BA Flydrive to Miami next August.
Always use Alamo for free additional driver, choice of car and sun pass already included.

With Avis is the 2nd driver free and is Sun Pass included?

Thanks
Old 19 Sep 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Sorry to jump on this, but hoping someone may be able to help!
I have booked directly with Avis for care hire in Canada and joined Avis preferred on checkout. I have read some things that say I can add on a second driver if they are a spouse for free and other things saying I can add a second driver by amending my details (but it crashes every time I open this page!). I need to add my partner as a second driver (live together but not married). Anyone know if I need to add him on in advance (I will have to call to do this) or if I can add him for free on arrival?

Thanks all!
As far as i'm aware, preferred itself doesn't give a free additional driver - that comes with booking via BA and being a member of their executive club
Old 19 Sep 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Florida Liz View Post
Thought I'd jump on this rather than start a new thread.
Looking to book BA Flydrive to Miami next August.
Always use Alamo for free additional driver, choice of car and sun pass already included.

With Avis is the 2nd driver free and is Sun Pass included?

Thanks
If you're a member of the BA executive club you'll get a free 2nd driver, so sign up and add that to your booking.

Sunpass is included but you pay for the use of it for the duration of your hire if you use it to a max of $19.75 per month + toll costs.

If you don't want to use sunpass and prefer to pay for tolls by cash you need to turn the transponder (should be up around the rear view mirror apparently) to off and go through pay lanes...if you go through a sunpass lane after turning it off you'll be charged the $19.75 and any non cash tolls.
Old 19 Sep 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Liz
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 34
Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
If you're a member of the BA executive club you'll get a free 2nd driver, so sign up and add that to your booking.

Sunpass is included but you pay for the use of it for the duration of your hire if you use it to a max of $19.75 per month + toll costs.

If you don't want to use sunpass and prefer to pay for tolls by cash you need to turn the transponder (should be up around the rear view mirror apparently) to off and go through pay lanes...if you go through a sunpass lane after turning it off you'll be charged the $19.75 and any non cash tolls.
Thank you, same set up as Alamo then.
Old 19 Sep 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Florida Liz View Post
Thank you, same set up as Alamo then.

The Sunpass scheme works in exactly the same way as Alamo. Driving through any Sunpass lane without stopping activates it. All Sunpass schemes in Florida work on a "toll by plate" system by taking a photo of your plate. If you have a transponder (possibly in an Avis but never seen one in an Alamo) it makes no difference whether it's on or off in the Sunpass lane. The camera captures either way.

The major difference between Alamo and Avis though is the admin charge. With Avis - use it on day one and you trigger the daily charge even on days that you don't use it again. Up to the cap which you reach about day 5. With Alamo they only charge for the days you use the toll. So toll on day one - admin fee $3.95. Use it next on your last day - another $3.95. Again capped at $19.50 but only if you use for enough days.

Mick