Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Aug 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Car rental agent crooks

Off on monday - worse part (apart from immigration queue in MCO - we're TPA this year) is car rental agents.

Over the years I've had some right run-ins with them. They are without a doubt a bunch of con artists. ALWAYS join whatever club for the hire company so you can go straight to garage to avoid them.

I've had it all...

- Even though I said about 5 times, STILL trying to get me to sign to pre-pay for fuel. NO I AM NOT STUPID IT IS NOT CHEAPER I WILL BRING IT BACK FULL. Even had one guy tell me he'd taken it off and he hadn't and realised as I was walking away.

- Toll pass. Another nightmare. As I found out last year, do not believe them when they say "just turn off the transponder in the car" - THEY MAY BE LYING. A lot of toll booths have ANPR now so dont need the transponder. I wondered last year when I was trying to pay and the toll agent was telling me it was OK. Took ages to get money back off AVIS for that one.

- Own insurance. Biggest hassle ever - they seem to hate it. I suppose you've just blown their biggest upsell. I had one guy argue my insurance was not valid. I knew it was. In the end, I told him I didnt care what he thought but I didnt want his insurance either way. He then told me how stupid he thought british people were and swore at me too. He was lucky there was a desk between us!

(Incidentally, I did claim that year. Reversed into mailbox - oops. No hassle at all when I got home. Email from hire company which I sent to insurance company all sorted.)

Anyway, I dread to think how many people get screwed over for insurance they dont need etc.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Actually - these days the amount they charge for fuel is no different from filling up away from the airport - one less thing to think about.

Also the toll pass thing is on by default (Alamo) - just go through the cash lanes if you don't want to use it. From your story I assume you went into a pass lane and tried to pay with cash

I do agree though - own Insurance, not worth the hassle.

Edited at 05:04 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Off on monday - worse part (apart from immigration queue in MCO - we're TPA this year) is car rental agents.

Over the years I've had some right run-ins with them. They are without a doubt a bunch of con artists. ALWAYS join whatever club for the hire company so you can go straight to garage to avoid them.

I've had it all...

- Even though I said about 5 times, STILL trying to get me to sign to pre-pay for fuel. NO I AM NOT STUPID IT IS NOT CHEAPER I WILL BRING IT BACK FULL. Even had one guy tell me he'd taken it off and he hadn't and realised as I was walking away.

- Toll pass. Another nightmare. As I found out last year, do not believe them when they say "just turn off the transponder in the car" - THEY MAY BE LYING. A lot of toll booths have ANPR now so dont need the transponder. I wondered last year when I was trying to pay and the toll agent was telling me it was OK. Took ages to get money back off AVIS for that one.

- Own insurance. Biggest hassle ever - they seem to hate it. I suppose you've just blown their biggest upsell. I had one guy argue my insurance was not valid. I knew it was. In the end, I told him I didnt care what he thought but I didnt want his insurance either way. He then told me how stupid he thought british people were and swore at me too. He was lucky there was a desk between us!

(Incidentally, I did claim that year. Reversed into mailbox - oops. No hassle at all when I got home. Email from hire company which I sent to insurance company all sorted.)

Anyway, I dread to think how many people get screwed over for insurance they dont need etc.

If you are doing your own insurance just make sure it covers CDW AND SLI third party cover to £1million dollars. Some policies don't cover the SLI part so worth checking.

Personally when we went to US I preferred to book in the UK and have these included with the rental company at its normally 0 excess and avoids having a big hold placed on the credit. Good to hear when you did claim it all went through easily.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I always pre pay fuel so I don’t have the hassle of finding a petrol station near the airport. And I never get my own insurance. Again it’s not worth the hassle.
I do however always book with someone I can go straight to the garage with these days.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Actually - these days the amount they charge for fuel is no different from filling up away from the airport - one less thing to think about.

Also the toll pass thing is on by default (Alamo) - just go through the cash lanes if you don't want to use it. From your story I assume you went into a pass lane and tried to pay with cash

I do agree though - own Insurance, not worth the hassle.
No this was the cash lane not the toll lane. I was trying to pay cash and the operator was waving us through...

Own insurance does save a LOT of money in some cases. I can put up with a D@ck for 10 mins to save £100s lol.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I always pre pay fuel so I don’t have the hassle of finding a petrol station near the airport. And I never get my own insurance. Again it’s not worth the hassle.
I do however always book with someone I can go straight to the garage with these days.
Depends how much extra it is for the fuel and how much extra the insurance is though?

e.g. Not sure of approx figures but when I looked a few years ago. Own insurance £120 for the year, insurance at airport something like $20 a day for 14 days so few quid more.

BTW - plenty of petrol stations on way to the airport. Never had a problem.
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jlo31 View Post
If you are doing your own insurance just make sure it covers CDW AND SLI third party cover to £1million dollars. Some policies don't cover the SLI part so worth checking.

Personally when we went to US I preferred to book in the UK and have these included with the rental company at its normally 0 excess and avoids having a big hold placed on the credit. Good to hear when you did claim it all went through easily.

Of course got to ensure that. Yes of course if its all booked as a package then often its all included anyway. (i.e. with BA)
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Does anyone pay extra fro breakdown? I never do.

My thinking is, hang on, its a contract. I pay you in exchange to rent a working car off you. If said car is faulty the surely its the providers issue to provide a working one however that may be? i.e. come and get it, fix it or provide a replacement?

Or am I wrong there?
Old 17 Aug 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Does anyone pay extra fro breakdown? I never do.

My thinking is, hang on, its a contract. I pay you in exchange to rent a working car off you. If said car is faulty the surely its the providers issue to provide a working one however that may be? i.e. come and get it, fix it or provide a replacement?

Or am I wrong there?
You may find your yearly (CDW insurance) insurance policy may cover breakdown, tows, tyres and lost keys anyway so may be no need to buy.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Depends how much extra it is for the fuel and how much extra the insurance is though?

e.g. Not sure of approx figures but when I looked a few years ago. Own insurance £120 for the year, insurance at airport something like $20 a day for 14 days so few quid more.

BTW - plenty of petrol stations on way to the airport. Never had a problem.
It’s not all about money though. It’s about convenience.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List