General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Sep 16, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Pizzas, planning, & plenty of birthday fun! - Rome & Florence - June 2015 - Day 7

Today was a real mop up day. We’d spent the last few days running back and forth through Florence and now we just wanted to slow down and enjoy our last full day.

First up a nice relaxing breakfast. Most people seemed to prefer sitting inside so we had the balcony all to ourselves.

A quick look at the app and I had worked out a nice relaxing route around a few bits we’d missed, starting with Basilica of Santa Croce

Except we didn’t…. it didn’t open until 2pm as it was Sunday, DOH! Which i would have known if I’d checked my notes, but I didn’t, the app finally failed me still it had had a good run :P

Instead we carried on walking to a stop we had missed yesterday Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Firenze.

This was a strange museum in the middle of a more residential area full of large mansions and embassies.

Still it was an interesting walk seeing a more relaxed area of florence

When walking around florence you’ll see lots of these. I never worked out what they were for but I enjoyed trying to spot them!

It was undergoing a large refurb so although some areas were open whole sections became dead ends and nothing really flowed. Not my fav but it’s probably changed by now. I still saw some interesting things anyway.

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
We now had to trek all the way from one side of the river to the other. I had read on a few blogs that a “must do” was to visit Piazzale Michelangelo. I had also heard this was a bit of a trek but that there was a bus. We found what we thought might have been the bus stop but as it was a sunday we weren’t that confident it would turn up, we gave it 15 mins before admitting defeat and realising that walking it would have to be if we were going up.

Word of warning, it’s steep, very steep. and despite trying to keep in the shade we were sweating after about 5 mins.

The trek up was about 15/20 mins and once we reached the “summit” (ok summit is a slight exaggeration!) we were welcomed by a market and car show!

The market was a mixture of tourist tat and local produce. We bought a few things, including some tat! before taking in the real reason for all the effort, the view.

WOW

It was so worth it.

So so worth it

I’d like to say the journey down was easier but it really wasn’t, such a killer on the calves, ouchie!

I was pooped by the time we made it back down. The feel was very different on the south of the river and we enjoyed a little stroll along, nipping into a few shops on the way.

As we were passing our hotel we nipped into the supermarket to buy a few nibbles for the train tomorrow and some wine for tonight (rough plan was to watch the sunset and drink it on st trinity bridge before dinner…. it didn’t happen) and then dropped it off at the room.

Next up was Palazzo Pitti but after the food shopping we were now a little peckish, I had one final pizza stop to make here, Gusta Pizza.

My this place was popular, it’s on the street behind palazzo pitti and it was packed.

We decided to queue for a pizza to take out, grabbing some cokes from the fridge on the way to the counter. There was quite a wait and we were given a ticket so we sat outside in the shade. Only downside here was that I’m pretty sure the guy at the till short changed us on purpose, we spotted it and it was rectified but I dunno, it didn’t feel like an accident. hmmmm.

Anyway we didn’t let that spoil the meal, we grabbed a spot at palazzo pitti’s entrance in the shade and tucked in, yummy pizza, I could see why they were so busy and it certainly deserved the long queue.

pepperoni pizza 7 euros

June 15-Rome & Florence
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
We finally made it in at 2.30. Time was very quickly running away with us, maybe today was not going to be as relaxing as I had thought!

I was right, we ended up doing a very speedy look round which was a shame as it was very beautiful.

We had to make a choice between visiting boboli gardens or heading back across the river to Basilica of Santa Croce. A difficult choice…

So this was all I saw of the gardens

There was really no choice, we both agreed we were flagging, our legs just weren’t going to manage a huge garden and a trek halfway across florence, oh well, next time :P

Off we went. This walk really was a struggle now, my legs had had enough. We spotted these on the way

As we were flagging I checked my app to find the nearest gelato place on my list.

We ended up at Vivoli. As it was a late Sunday afternoon it was full of families buying gelato together and we joined everyone else sitting on the pavement outside

June 15-Rome & Florence
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The church was busy by the time we arrived but I was glad we had made the effort, it was stunning.

After that we decided to call it a day, we’d managed to see everything we wanted to, which in 3 days felt like a huge achievement in itself! Now we were going to head back to relax, pack and enjoy our last night, starting with that bottle of wine… I also presented Adam with his fathers day card :P

June 15-Rome & Florence
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Packed and washed we decided to be frivolous and go and drink cocktails in the bar upstairs. They served food here and I was tempted to cancel our plans and just stay put but Adam talked me out of it.

These were tasty and not hugely expensive considering, approx 10 euros ish I think. We sat here for a good hour before setting off for dinner.

This time we weren’t heading across the river, instead we had plans on the southbank at Il Santo Bevitore, a trendy wine bar. A POPULAR one if the queue outside was anything to go by, despite having a reservation we had a bit of a wait for a table, this wasn’t an issue though, we grabbed a beer and stood outside with others in the street whilst we waited.

Finally it was our turn and we were seated. If we didn’t know this place was “trendy” the menus would have given it away!

Tonight was our “splurge meal” It wasn’t hugely expensive at all though in reality.

We order wine to share (my my tonight was boozier than I remember!) mainly so we could watch our waiter extract it from the high shelves above other diners with a big extending claw, fun right? well providing you’re not sat under it of course!

this was served with the bread service

I ordered cheese to start

and Adam ordered the pasta . He was warned it was spicy but he assured the waitress he was Italian enough to take it, bless.

Apparently this was one of the best pastas he’s ever had.

Next Adam had the guinea fowl

And I had the bonito, which was fish, although I had no idea what kind, a little bit of pot look.

It was tasty though

Finally I wasn’t up for dessert but Adam ordered a creme brulee whilst I finished off the wine.

Afterwards we were asked if we wanted grappa. I’ve never had grappa but Adam was very enthusiastic that I try it…

this alone should have set of alarm bells. We ordered two.

Adam was keen

I was dubious...

it was revolting!

the WORST thing I’ve ever tasted, EVER!

As punishment for being so cruel I made Adam finish mine, HA!

The meal came to 104 euros so very similar to yesterday

By now it was nearly midnight and knowing we had a train to catch at 7am the following morning I though it best we make a move. Luckily the booze carried our worn out legs back to the hotel and straight into bed, my last thought were of being thankful that at least I didn’t need to pack in the morning, especially with a 5.45 alarm!

FIT BIT STATS
24,681 steps
31 floors
17.1 km

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 01:19 PM.