Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Loch Lomond
Excited about Disney

Mobile Help and Advice - Family West Coast

Hi
We’re a family of 4, kids 16,13, booked into SF and home from LA June 19 for 3 weeks.
We got to LA last year with a 3 week plan and had to come home after 2 days with a bereavement so we have a rough idea but everything seems so much more expensive in accommodation this year?
Initial plan is to stay SF 4 nights, pick up our car, drive the PCH with 2 night stops in Monterey area and another area before North LA for Universal and some LA tours. Then no plan. Vegas? San Diego?
The biggest challenge and advice is 4* family accommodation appears to be around £250 a night everywhere and for 3 weeks it’s sore.

Any advice or help?
Loch Lomond is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi from there a few days san diego wood be good, palm springs , vegas, and then Yosemite and back to san fran
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Don't restrict yourself to 4* for starters! For one or 2 niight stays, a lower star rating if chosen carefully will be fine!
We looked at West Coast and wernt looking at those figures!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We did a similar route 18 mo the ago and found some great hotels for no more than £150 a night, often less. Best Western hotels were great, we stayed in a fabulous one in a place called Capitola that had 4 double beds across a 2 room suite (paid about £130 a night) and had a similar set up at the Best Western Yosemite Gateway in a beautiful town called Oakhurst. We enjoyed mixing it up and staying in some fancy places and some more characterful places. We had great fun staying at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, in a room with a bedroom and a separate living area with 2 sofa beds in it. Again it all came in under my £150 a night limit, although admittedly I spent many hours on Hotels.com, searching and booking free cancellation hotels that I could then cancel if/when the hotel I really wanted came within budget.

You will have a great trip, it’s a fantastic part of the world!
Old 29 Mar 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
We did San Diego, Las Vegas and Joshua Tree NP and loved them all so can't really advise which is best!

However I suggest using motel chains for your accommodation, much more spacious for a family of 4, most had 2 beds and a sofa bed which was so much easier (our kids were 18 and 15, a boy and girl). They usually had free parking, free internet, free breakfasts and some even had free laundrettes. We liked them much more than the more expensive hotel chains that we tried and they saved us a fortune.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I feel your pain- we found finding decent priced accommodation more challenging for our California trip last year.
We did :
San Francisco- 3 nights in a motel style hotel- Lombard plaza motel
Madera near Fresno - so we could go to Yosemite (closed due to fire) but then we went to sequoia- stayed in Spring Hill suites - 5 nights
Las Vegas- 7 nights in mgm signature through air B and B
Then LA- condo on the outskirts booked through HomeAway - 7 nights
Then an air band b in templeton for 4 nights
Up to Watsonville - best western (worst hotel) 4 nights
Old 29 Mar 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

When we went in 2016 we mixed up our accommodation quite a bit. We had some pretty expensive stays , where we really wanted a particular hotel, along with some really quite cheap stays, one of which was an Airbnb type cottage. This really helped us stick to our budget and actually made for a much better experience imho as we got to see and stay places we originally wouldn’t have considered.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Lower your standards a bit ..

I do 3 weeks every year ( I’ve just come back ) and don’t pay anywhere near that ..

I did 1 night Ontario Mills , 9 nights Vegas , 1 night wiliams Arizona , 3 Goodyear Arizona , 3 Anaheim , 4 Ontario Mills and averaged £100 a night .
Vegas can be had for very good rates , then I search all the brokers / Hotwire/ Priceline often rebooking if I find it cheaper which I usually do .
The likes of best western / holiday inn are perfectly adequate for road trips where you spend little time there .

Vegas I always stop at south point as it’s such good value for money .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hotels are always more expensive in the summer, especially in California, as that is the height of the tourist season. If you are there over any major holidays, like July 4th, that will also raise the prices even more. You could try signing up for the email lists for the hotels you are most interested in- a lot of hotels will offer special deals..sometimes last minute...to their email list that they don't advertise on their websites.

You can also do as others here have suggested and mix in a couple more moderately priced 2 or 3* hotels. There are a few hotel chains spread across California that are moderately priced, very nice and decent places to stay, and offer perks like free breakfast which can help offset some of the costs. Look for chains like Residence Inn by Marriott, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Hampton Inn & Suites (also a Hilton Brand), Holiday Inn Express, and Embassy Suites (again, by Hilton).

Best of luck with your planning!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi defiantly check out airbnb or home away, we have used both on our 2 last trips and stayed some fantastic places,some with personal touch and lots of helpful suggestions from owners. In vegas stayed in signature suits at the MGM booked privately and much cheaper than through hotel
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List