Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
The Silver Wedding NYC & Boston Trip - Day 2 - TOTR, Central Park & Broadway

Index here

Day 2 - Sunday 28th September

Woke up the first time to find it was only 5:10 am but luckily was able to go back to sleep until a more reasonable 6:50 am. I'm not sure we'll ever adjust to sleep later than this.

We got ready and left the hotel at 8am. Our plan was to head to Top of the Rock as the forecast wasn't too good for Tuesday which is when we had originally planned to see it. After a bit of a rookie mistake at the 72nd street subway, we found ourselves on an express train to 42nd St. A bit of a diversion, and we ended up at TOTR slightly later than envisaged at 8:40 am. The first thing we noticed is that it's got a lot busier since our last visit.

The views were as great as normal but I’m afraid it didn't take my breath away as much this time - maybe as it's our third visit here, I'm becoming complacent! As it was early, there was a little morning haze which also marred it slightly, and it got worse instead of better the longer we were up there. As a result, I didn’t actually take many photos, as I had better ones from our previous trips.

We found ourselves looking for breakfast after our descent, and found an Au Bon Pain in Rockefeller Plaza, so ordered a cherry Danish and a Greek Vanilla Yoghurt & wild blueberry parfait. A large orange juice to share and our breakfast bill was just $10.22.

A quick check of the map and we decided to head on the subway up to 96th Street to enter Central Park. Unfortunately we had an enforced detour to 125th Street - yes we ended up on another express train that didn't make a stop between 59th St until we reached 125th St! I was beginning to think it would never stop! I’m really not sure what happened to us this time, as we’ve never had problems on our previous trips with the subway. We quickly went over to the next platform for a return local train. On this journey we had a musician playing guitar stood right in front of us, 'singing' in Spanish (I use the term 'singing' very loosely!) Just when we thought our journey couldn't get any worse. As soon as we got off, we took one look at each other and burst out laughing, which lightened the mood over who was to blame for our ‘diversion’.

We entered the park at 96th Street and spent a lovely couple of hours just wandering. The park was very busy – probably due to it being the weekend and another beautiful day.

We saw lots of new things in this part of the park.

We walked around the west side of the Jackie Onassis Reservoir, and then past the Great Lawn, where workman were busy dismantling the stage from last night’s concert.

We headed past Turtle Pond, but didn’t see anything apart from ducks.

However as we walked up to Belvedere castle, we spotted the turtles sunning themselves on a rock.

We walked through the beautiful Shakespeare's gardens and passed the Swiss Cottage Marionette Theatre, although there wasn't much to see at the latter.

We were on a deadline for a Broadway matinee, so left the park to head back to the hotel to get ready. We realised we would be pushing it for time to grab any lunch, so called into a Duane Reade to try and pick something up. It wasn’t a very big store though, so we struggled a bit, so I nipped back to the hotel to jump in the shower first, while Martin went across the road to Fairway. He bought some butter and some cheese and we had a lovely little snack with our Rye Bread from the Farmer’s Market.

While getting ready, we FaceTimed home and Martin turned the TV on to see that Europe had won the Ryder cup, which pleased him. I’m afraid it means nothing to me.

We got the subway to 42nd Street, and walked into the hell that is Times Square. I know that many people love it, but I’m afraid it’s not for me. It’s just too busy, and I hate the pestering of tourists that goes on – they can spot us a mile off! :angry: Obviously, it’s somewhere that people have to visit, but once really is enough for me. I’d hate to stay in the midst of it all, but it would be very boring if we all liked the same things.

Anyway, we were only there temporarily as we made our way to the Gerald Schoenfeld theatre on West 45th Street. We had tickets to see ‘It's Only a Play’. I believe it's only on for 17 weeks and has a bit of a star studded cast, but on this occasion was minus Stockard Channing unfortunately, who I had been really looking forward to seeing. Her understudy was good, but was a little young to be playing the washed up actress that the role called for.

Nathan Lane was brilliantly funny, but neither of us were very impressed with Matthew Broderick. We’re not sure if it was the character he was playing and he’s actually a fantastic actor, but we found his whole performance very wooden and monotone

Megan Mullally was a little sickly sweet, and Rupert Grint was slightly over the top in his portrayal of an eccentric British director – he reminded us a lot of Rik Mayall.

F. Murray Abraham was very good, but the star of the show was really newcomer Micah Stock. He was very funny - I know he's following a script but his expressions and mannerisms had me in stitches, and we thought it was a fantastic beginning to what I'm sure will be a lengthy Broadway career.

We thought the play was a very good comedy, and although there were a few Broadway linked ‘in jokes’ that went over our heads, it didn’t affect our enjoyment and we laughed a lot!

We left the theatre, and walked to 51st Street. We were about an hour too early for our dinner reservation, so we found ourselves in a conveniently placed McHale's bar.

Martin ordered a Goose Island IPA (which had an acquired taste apparently) followed by a McSorleys Irish Pale Ale which was a much better choice.

I ordered two Honey Deuce cocktails which were lovely and consisted of Grey Goose vodka, Chambord and lemonade. The second one was much stronger than the first though.

Feeling slightly squiffy, we walked the short distance down the road to Tout va Bien, where we were eating this evening.

We were slightly worried when we first walked in as it seemed empty, with only one other table occupied.

Some complementary bread and crudités appeared while we perused the menu. This could have been a meal in itself! We decided to skip starters and just order mains, both of us choosing the beef bourguignon along with a bottle of Sancerre to share.

I best hurry up and eat something to soak up the alcohol - I can see I look tipsy here!

It proved to be a good choice as the food was delicious.

Martin ordered a crème brulee for dessert, while I stuck to finishing the wine! While we were eating, the restaurant filled up with other diners, so we really shouldn’t have worried earlier. I would definitely eat here again.

We finished our drinks, paid the bill, took the obligatory photo of the city lights, then jumped on the subway.

We were back in our room within 10 minutes, and asleep not long after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 TOTR.jpg
Views:	3470
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	58232   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 ESB.jpg
Views:	3471
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	58235   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 TOTR.jpg
Views:	3468
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	58236   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Breakfast.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	58237   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Breakfast.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	58238  

Name:	10 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3486
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	58239   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3503
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	58240   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3482
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	58241   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 Central Park.jpg
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	58242   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020253.jpg
Views:	3493
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	58243  

Name:	18 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3480
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	58244   Click image for larger version

Name:	21 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3451
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	58245   Click image for larger version

Name:	23 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3521
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	58246   Click image for larger version

Name:	22  Central Park.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	58247   Click image for larger version

Name:	17 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3485
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	58248  

Name:	24 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3475
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	58249   Click image for larger version

Name:	25 Central Park.jpg
Views:	3458
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	58250   Click image for larger version

Name:	28 McHales.jpg
Views:	3453
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	58251   Click image for larger version

Name:	29 McHales.jpg
Views:	3455
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	58252   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Tout va Bien.jpg
Views:	3510
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	58253  

Name:	31 Tout va Bien.jpg
Views:	3454
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	58254   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 Tout va Bien.jpg
Views:	3456
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	58255   Click image for larger version

Name:	33 Tout va Bien.jpg
Views:	3453
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	58256   Click image for larger version

Name:	34 Tout va Bien.jpg
Views:	3469
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	58257   Click image for larger version

Name:	35 Tout va Bien.jpg
Views:	3454
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	58258  

jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyRoobs
slightly serious Dibber

DisneyRoobs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 15

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Super day, thanks for sharing!

Love your Central Park photos - the water reflections are beautiful.

An all star cast indeed, I love Nathan Lane although can't listen to him without thinking of Timon! Good on you for enjoying a few drinks too! X

- Ash & Lucy's West Coast Adventure - Pre Trip Report
- Start Spreadin' the News: Christmas in NYC 2014 - Trip Report
- 10 Magical Years (Well, maybe 7 or so) Jan '13 Trip Report
- The Fanny-Packers Hit Florida Dec '11 Trip Report
DisneyRoobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by DisneyRoobs View Post
Super day, thanks for sharing!

Love your Central Park photos - the water reflections are beautiful.

An all star cast indeed, I love Nathan Lane although can't listen to him without thinking of Timon! Good on you for enjoying a few drinks too! X
I didn't know Nathan Lane was Timon. Might have to watch that again now!

The good news about the drinking was that I was hangover free the next morning! Not sure how though. x
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Thank you for yet another fabulous update.

I used to tell everyone to do ToTr but I really don't rate it now - either I have got over used to it over the years or it isn't really that much better than ESB ( which I always go to atleast twice ( night and day) and love it as much as I did when I first went over 40 years again ! )

Lookie forward to more updates . . . .
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post

another lovely day
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 14, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day, I love the views from TOTR

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 14, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Thank you for yet another fabulous update.

I used to tell everyone to do ToTr but I really don't rate it now - either I have got over used to it over the years or it isn't really that much better than ESB ( which I always go to atleast twice ( night and day) and love it as much as I did when I first went over 40 years again ! )

Lookie forward to more updates . . . .
I was the same with recommending TOTR. It's a shame when you don't get to repeat the same experience.

Maybe I should try the ESB again, as I've only done that once before at night. But because it was so busy, it kind of put me off if I'm honest.

Originally Posted by mazz View Post
another lovely day
Thanks for reading.

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
Another great day, I love the views from TOTR
Yes the views were great.
Old 29 Oct 14, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Mobile

Another great day!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 14, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by hross42877 View Post
Another great day!
Thanks.
Old 16 Nov 14, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Another great day We went to NYC for the first time in August and we loved it, we all went Wow when we went to the TOTR but then it was our first time
juliab is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List