Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 27 Aug 16, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Narbonne plage August 2016. Travel and carcasonne castle

Tuesday 16th August
Our flight wasn't until 2.45 pm so I didn't have to set an alarm. The plan was to have a relaxed morning and leave about 9.30 so we just packed the night before.
We popped out for some drinks and sandwiches and came home to find dd in the shower. Normally not a problem, but it was about 9, and she takes 40 minutes so our plan to leave early went out the window. When she finally got out, Matt and I quickly got ourselves sorted and left at 10.
Dd was staying at my mums and walked to hers later. She is 15, and not really interested in holidays, plus there is no wi fi where we were staying, so she wouldn't have survived.
Journey to stansted was easy, no traffic. I hate driving, I'm a nervous wreck now but I'm fine with motorway/ duel carriageway so I didn't mind the drive until we took the exit and had to follow signs.
We were pulling into meet and greet by 11.40. This was a total faff, we always park here and it's been great in the past but it's so busy now, it doesn't seem any more convenient. There were 2 queues, each with 3 cars even though the barriers were taking it in turns letting cars through, it was taking ages, and when we got to the barrier the machine kept beeping. This was stressing me out and I was ready to dump the car at the barriers, but finally we were parking up and dropping out keys off to the office. I did see the meet and greet plus to the left, which looked a little more organised so we might try that next time.
Stansted was busy, which we expected but didn't have to wait too long to collect our pre ordered euros and get in the security line. This was busy but the line moved quickly. Just as we got near the front another line opened so we headed there, but had to wait for the boxes so didnt really save any time.
As always when we get to the airport, it's straight to the bar. Stansted renovation is completed now, and it's a fair walk, but we soon had our drinks, that's when the holiday begins for me.

I popped and got some papers and water and had a look at the small duty free shop, I brought some gin miniatures but the prices of litre bottles was £30.
I also went to boots, and was surprised to see the sun cream the same price, and had the buy one get one half price so I picked one up, but I knew that would be enough so didn't use the offer, handy to know for future though. Also the Lynx was only £2 so I grabbed one for Matt.
Soon enough our gate number came up and we got the train there.
People were queuing already so we joined the end and it didn't take long. I used the boarding pass from the app, no problem at the gates or going through security.
The flight was 1 hour 40 minutes, into Carcassone. We actually arrived ahead of schedule, 10 minutes early. As usual great service from Ryan air, no hard sell, just friendly staff. I know everyone has their opinions of them, but we have never had any problems or complaints.
We got off the plane, the passport control was a right mess. For some reason it moved from when you walk in to after baggage claim so everyone collected their hold bags and then pushed in the line.
There was only two booths open and our photos got a good looking over.
Anyway, when we were the other side our friends Linda and Russell were there to meet us which was great and lovely to see them.
Our plan was to visit carcasonne castle, as Matt hasn't seen it.
We got in the car and Linda and I started chatting, Russell must have forgot about the castle, as we were on the motorway and Linda said look, there's the castle, so we had to come off the motorway and back into carcasonne.
It didn't take long, the city was busy, but we found parking near the castle ok.
It's lovely there, a massive castle with bars, restaurants and shops inside. They have jousting in the summer as well. We didn't really do it justice, I'm sure there are lots of good viewing points, but it was really busy, so here's a few photos.

We stopped for a drink.

Then headed back to the car

It took about an hour to get to narbonne plage, and when we got back, we had a couple of drinks. I always have strawberry syrup when we re at lindas, it goes in all my drinks from wine to gin.

We chatted for a bit before bed, which was lovely sitting outside in the warm with our drinks.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
roxie2001 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We live about an hour from Carcassonne but it is years since I have visited!

Looks like you have had a good first day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We live about an hour from Carcassonne but it is years since I have visited!

Looks like you have had a good first day!
It's great there, I stayed a night there with friends last year, the town is lovely as well.
Was a good start, I liked the later flight as wasn't tired when we arrived.
Must be nice to live there, this will be our last visit as our friends are selling up after 10 years.
roxie2001 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 16, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Carcassone looks lovely - sounds like a good day
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 16, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Carcassone looks lovely - sounds like a good day
It is lovely, you could quite easily spend a few days there.