Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Sep 16, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Narbonne plage, August 2016. Day 6, Saint Pierre and still French Facebook famous

Sunday 21st August
Normal morning routine, Matt and I went to buy the baguettes today and we had them with pate and cheese outside.
Matt and I decided to walk to Saint Pierre, no one else wanted to come so we headed off together after breakfast. We said about going for an ice cream when we got back, so the others said they would meet us.
It's a lovely walk along the seafront and the weather was perfect.

We got to the port in about 20 minutes.

We walked across the bridge and into the centre which took another 15 minutes.

We had a look about and popped into the little tacky shops and brought Dd a snow globe.
We started to walk back, having a nosey at the house, a sure sign of getting old.

We stopped at a kiosk and had a wine and beer, love this idea.
It was €5

When we got close to the bar I texted Linda to to let them know what bar We were at. I took a seat on the swinging chair.

When the others got to us, we moved tables and ordered ice creams and drinks.

They were so good, and cost €8 each.
Russell and Michael stayed out and had a couple of drinks, while the rest of us went home. Matt didn't feel like a beer right after his ice cream.
Back at the house, we had a few drinks, the men came back, I made some pasta and we had that with the left over salads
In the week, we saw that a restaurant around the corner had karaoke. On the way back yesterday, we asked if we could just have drinks, and the owner said we could after 9pm.
Now, I'm the one that sings, I'm not very good and I know that but when I have drink I forget that! I even have a stage name, sapphire sparkle!
I just dance about and sing songs I know.
When we visited last year, we found karaoke and I put my name down. All the French people were taking it very seriously and were really good, I said I couldn't follow them, but had a few glasses of wine and got up and did my stuff.
For some reason, the French thought I was great! The dj was filming me, and on my second song a load of kids came running and starting dancing with me. A lovely young girl said how good I was! Honestly, we couldn't believe it and it gave us a laugh.
I joked I was French Facebook famous!
I was well up for singing. We got to the bar about 9.15 and ordered beers and sangria.

The restaurant was busy, but I got the song book and had a look. The songs I normally sing are you can tell by Chuck Berry and all about the bass by Meghan Trainor. They didn't have either, so I asked the dj if he had them.
Debbie and I had already said we thought it was the same guy from last year, and can you believe it, he remembered me!
I put in you never can tell and downed some sangria! My name was called, but pronounced sap eia, then the dj made some announcement to everyone, no idea what it was, but I started to sing and everyone joined in!
A family got up and danced, and the guy filmed me again! Honestly, I never get that reaction over here! After a few other people had a turn, I did my second song, and a couple of people danced with me. Matt said the pizza place next door were looking, probably seeing what all the noise was.
I finished on a high and didn't sing again.
The dj came over, and I asked if he had a card, he came back with one and Debbie searched for him on Facebook, and he had posted the video of me, and a few others on there, we really did laugh then! If you fancy a giggle, look for Albert Calmels and scroll down to August 21st!
The main reason we didn't eat was because there didn't seem to be much choice but the food looked lovely. Unfortunately we were sitting near the kitchen, it was on show anyway, but Matt had a perfect view into the kitchen and he is a bit fussy. He kept looking on and saying only one chopping board was being used, plus there was a dog in there!
As it was an open air restaurant, all the customers were smoking all over their food as well. The toilets were very clean though, and a lot nicer than all the other ones I'd been to.
Anyway, we finished our drinks, and got the bill, €60, which a little steep, but the sangria was homemade, and we had a great night.
We went home still laughing, Debbie had shared the video, and kept us updated of how many views and comments.
We had one for the road and went to bed.

Edited at 05:57 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 16, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Those ice creams! Mmmmm! Yummy.
You are very brave doing karaoke in a busy bar (and in a foreign land lol!) sounds like you are a bit of a star! Looks like a really fun day.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 16, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Lovely ice creams!

You are very brave doing karoke (but I would clear the bar within 30 seconds )

It doesn't surprise me about the kitchen - I am not sure if there is such a thing as hygiene certifcates over here! We work on the premise of what the eye can't ser otherwise we would never eat anywhere!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 16, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Those ice creams! Mmmmm! Yummy.
You are very brave doing karaoke in a busy bar (and in a foreign land lol!) sounds like you are a bit of a star! Looks like a really fun day.
The ice cream was fab, Matt didn't manage to finish his, I polished mine off, land would have finished his off if we had been alone
Alcohol makes me brave, I couldn't do it sober!
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 16, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Lovely ice creams!

You are very brave doing karoke (but I would clear the bar within 30 seconds )

It doesn't surprise me about the kitchen - I am not sure if there is such a thing as hygiene certifcates over here! We work on the premise of what the eye can't ser otherwise we would never eat anywhere!
I normally clear the bar over here!
Agree with with the not looking in kitchens, over here as well, unsure there are some shocking places, but best not knowing.
Think Matt and I are more fussy as we both work in kitchens, I'm a cook manager in a school and am slightly obsessed with sanitiser
Old 3 Sep 16, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Those ice creams look amazing! Well done on your karoake!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 16, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Those ice creams look amazing! Well done on your karoake!
They were, well worth the €8.
Thanks, it's nice when it's not just you re friends supporting you.
Even though I'm not great at singing, I just do the moves!

Edited at 03:44 PM.