Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports
Unread 8 Nov 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11
Mobile

Looking forward to the awards! Totally agree it's always sad to go home.

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Now complete Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ been and gone, back to CBR
Unread 8 Nov 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Looking forward to the awards! Totally agree it's always sad to go home.
Thank you! The worst thing is you look forward for what seems an eternity for the holiday and then it is over in a flash. The two weeks never ever moves that fast when you are at work
Unread 10 Nov 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Apprentice Imagineer

AS PROMISED
WE PRESENT
THE 2019 ALLAN AND ELAINE
ANNUAL VISIT TO ORLANDO
FOOD AWARDS

Despite numerous requests Charlize Theron was not available to come and present the awards so unfortunately she has left me to do all the work!(shocking but true)
So after a lot of deliberation the votes have all been counted and verified so we can begin handing them out. We will start with the smaller categories and work up to the big one which is Best Main Meal
So we begin with
THE ELAINE AWARD FOR BEST COCKTAIL
This goes to the Blue Hawaiian at Olive Garden which is Malibu Rum, Blue Curacao and Pineapple Juice.

This was a surprise winner as Elaine loves Mojitos elsewhere but she really enjoyed this one and for $5 you cannot complain

Next we move onto
BEST BURGER
This is a very prestigious award and Elaine gives hers to Wendys for their Spicy Chicken Burger. Sixteen visits to Orlando and Elaine never orders anything other than this at this fine establishment. That says it all really

For me, I go outside of Orlando and head to Clearwater to give my award to ClearSky Beachside Cafe and the BBQ Haystack Burger which comes with Bacon, Cheddar, BBQ Sauce and Onion Strings. Sorry Wendys but this was just an incredible burger

For those of us with a sweet tooth we now present
BEST DESSERT
This was a unanimous decision and both took about half a second to choose this one and it goes to The Strawberry Shortcake at The Cheesecake Factory

This was just Pudding Heaven and I don't think we will ever order Cheesecake again (unless it is to take home ) from here instead of this wonderful creation.

As the cost of a trip to Orlando continues to increase we now have
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY MEAL
This goes to an old Favourite, Steak n Shake

Even when you come outside of Happy Hour the cost of the meal is extremely cheap for the great quality of food that you get. Hopefully they will be there for years to come.

One thing that will increase is Freestyle Machines so with that in mind we give you

MOST REFRESHING BEVERAGE

On a hot Florida day you just cannot beat Fanta Lime

It is so refreshing and remain amazed that Coke do not sell this outside of Freestyle. If you have not tried it give it a go. You will thank us

Now for the award no-one wants to get

WORST MAIN MEAL

Elaine had a little think and although Olive Garden gave it a run, she went for the Blackened Salmon which comes on a Bed of Rice and Beans with Pineapple Avocado Salsa at Margaritaville.

This was the most expensive meal of the holiday and yet the piece of salmon and salsa was so small it was completely overwhelmed by the rice and beans. The fabled great service at the restaurant was also lacking on the night.
I did not have to think, I give mine to the Olive Garden and the Braised Beef Bolognese with Pappardelle

So sad because the beef and pasta were fine but the sauce really tasted like it had come out of a tin and was completely lacking in flavour

So we head to the two final and most important categories, and the penultimate award is

BEST APPETISER

This award covers anything from a paid for starter to a complementary one given by the restaurant itself while you wait for the Main
While that in mind Elaine has gone for The Salad and Bread sticks at Olive Garden

She just loves this and would quite happily have this, and then leave the restaurant happy without touching her main meal. If we do visit Olive Garden next year she is already thinking of ordering the salad as her Main!
For me I have gone for the Nachos with Chipotle Lime Chicken at Applebees at Berry Town Center.

I cannot get over how good these were and like Elaine would happily forego the Main Course and eat these all night(Next year, hopefully with a Beer!)

And finally we come to the most important award

BEST MAIN MEAL
The hardest one to decide as we had so many great meals this year and frequently changed our minds . So we have both gone for a top three so with that in mind Elaine has chosen

IN THIRD PLACE

CHICKEN MARSALA WITH GARLIC MASHED POTATOES AT CARRABBAS

Could not finish it but savoured every mouthful she had

IN SECOND PLACE

MYO PIZZA AT BLAZE PIZZA WITH PEPPERONI,CHICKEN,SPINACH AND RED ONION

Despite its size the plate was cleaned as the base was incredibly light and the toppings really flavourful

AND IN FIRST PLACE, ELAINES WINNER IS

THE JERK CHICKEN PASTA AT BAHAMA BREEZE

She just adores this and devoured every mouthful. I have tried to replicate this at home but still cannot get it right as it must have a secret ingredient.

So now its my turn

IN THIRD PLACE

ITS BACK TO BAHAMA BREEZE FOR THE COCONUT SHRIMP TACOS

I love Tacos and have had many variations at restaurants and made plenty at home in various guises and IMHO these are the best of the lot

IN SECOND PLACE

THE BBQ HAYSTACK BURGER WITH BACON CHEDDAR BBQ SAUCE AND ONION STRINGS AT CLEARSKY BEACHSIDE CAFE IN CLEARWATER

Absolute Burger heaven!

AND IN FIRST PLACE MY WINNER IS

THE 12OZ RIBEYE STEAK WITH FRIES AND COLESLAW AT MILLERS ALE HOUSE CHAMPIONSGATE

Quite a simple meal however this was done perfectly. Fries perfectly cooked and seasoned, a rich and tasty Coleslaw and a steak cooked and seasoned as requested which was packed with flavour and melted in the mouth.

So there you have the Awards are now complete. We hope to come back next year so Orlando Florida we hope to taste your wares sometime soon.
And a big thank you to all the Dibbers who have tuned in for this inaugural awards and hope to do it again in 2020!

Unread 10 Nov 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Thanks for posting, have really enjoyed your report and the awards at the end were a fab idea.

P.S. how cheeky of Charlize, I wouldn't ask her again if I were you... her loss!
Unread 10 Nov 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Thanks for posting, have really enjoyed your report and the awards at the end were a fab idea.

P.S. how cheeky of Charlize, I wouldn't ask her again if I were you... her loss!
Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it. To be fair caitlinsmummy (Kelly) gave me the idea for the Awards bit.
As far as Charlize is concerned can't get why she would want to stay in sunny warm L.A as opposed to freezing cold Whitley Bay Some people! .
Unread 10 Nov 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well I think Charlize is a bit rude to be honest but to be honest I think you did a fab job so well done Al!

I am so so so pleased to see SnS on there as you probably already knew 😂

Thanks so much for doing the repory Allan and Elaine, it's been great and I really look forward to the next one... Do we have a date yet 👀 xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
18 Nights POR 1 Night BWV
Unread 10 Nov 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Well I think Charlize is a bit rude to be honest but to be honest I think you did a fab job so well done Al!

I am so so so pleased to see SnS on there as you probably already knew 😂

Thanks so much for doing the repory Allan and Elaine, it's been great and I really look forward to the next one... Do we have a date yet 👀 xx
Ah Thanks so much Kelly and thanks for the Awards idea as well as extras in the Milkshakes at SnS! Haven't told Elaine yet though, she will want to go every day ! I think you and I need to get the word out how great Steak n Shake is!
Looking at your countdown you will be heading back before us as we are going back in September. Met Tim and Jen this year, you never know might meet Charlize next year! (I wish!)

Edited at 06:56 PM.
Geordie Al is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
JUST THE TWO OF US
Unread 10 Nov 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11
Mobile

I've really enjoyed your report. Those nachos are a worthy winner in the awards. I'm not too keen on blue cocktails, I'd take a mojito, although for $5 I reckon I could be persuaded to test it out.

Great report and great round up. I hope you do make it back next year and I hope you share it all with us again.

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Now complete Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ been and gone, back to CBR