Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants
Forgotten Password?
Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.
Unread 8 Nov 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I would imagine Disney servers (specially in Signatures) are some of the best paid in the industry ? The higher bills drive bigger tips ?
This is true, and it used to be to get into a Signature you had to be a server with a good record elsewhere first.

I did hear that the best positions were in Crystal Palace for breakfast, its a high-cost buffet, and everyone wants their food, pics with the fab 5 and then want to get into the park ASAP, so a high turnover of tables.

I know of Barmen in the old P.I (in its heyday) who would earn $500 a night, this was many years ago.

V&A- you can't even apply, they will approach you, they take the best of the best, but I heard they don't earn as much as some Signatures as they only have 2 sittings a night, so tip is high but turnover can mean a Signature can earn more.

The thing you have to get into your head is (I think) just because a Server is well tipped and paid does not give you the right to think I will under or not tip- thats unfair on those that do.

The whole system is basically broken though, a lot of CM's and servers in general would agree with that too.

Edited at 08:23 PM.
gavvy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Apprentice Imagineer

A few restaurants in the states have tried doing away with separating out the service charge and having it included in the food prices but Americans just viewed those places as being more expensive than their rivals even though in reality the cost was about the same.

Its just so embedded in american culture I don't think you will ever do away with it.
2019 - Hard Rock / Villa
2020 - Beach Club
dx4100 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the Beach Club 2020
Unread 8 Nov 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
If you only got drinks then its normal to tip a couple of dollars per drink so this doesn't sound all that strange.

If you had sat there for an hour, had three courses and drinks then you would of been well out of order. But you seem to be of a British mindset. Brit abroad often doesn't come off well with the locals sadly and we all have to live with the impression you leave behind.
British mindset? Brits abroad. I've travelled in the States 2-3 times a year, over a 25 year period. I tip well for good service, average for average service and an 'insult' tip to show when I get really poor service. You seem to have a condescending attitude because you are incapable of understanding that locals tip exactly as I do.

I spend little time in Orlando, where the service levels can be shocking compared to away from the tourist area. I'd hazard a guess that it's partly down to people who will tip, no matter how poor the service.

Americans would not put up with poor service, unfortunately you seem happy to do so. That's the impression you leave behind.
Unread 8 Nov 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
British mindset? Brits abroad. I've travelled in the States 2-3 times a year, over a 25 year period. I tip well for good service, average for average service and an 'insult' tip to show when I get really poor service. You seem to have a condescending attitude because you are incapable of understanding that locals tip exactly as I do.

I spend little time in Orlando, where the service levels can be shocking compared to away from the tourist area. I'd hazard a guess that it's partly down to people who will tip, no matter how poor the service.

Americans would not put up with poor service, unfortunately you seem happy to do so. That's the impression you leave behind.
The fact you stiff the server a lot in multiple states isn't improving this situation lol

The vast majority Americans wouldn't 0 tip. They just wouldn't...
2019 - Hard Rock / Villa
2020 - Beach Club
dx4100 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the Beach Club 2020
Unread 8 Nov 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
slightly serious Dibber

Plenty of Americans faced with bad service will tip a penny and leave a sad face on the bill. Not even a dollar... a penny...
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International November 2011 I-Drive south - Hilton Homewood Suites Oct 2012 - The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields! Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort - LBV Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Hills, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise, , Aug 2017, Emerald Island , Oct 2019, Emerald Island & Vero Beach The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Flights booked - no plans!
Unread 8 Nov 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

My experience is that it's not just a 'brit' thing there are plenty of Americans that stiff over tips, it's bad to form judgments but it was sometimes easy to judge within a few minutes of meeting a family if you were getting a tip or not.

I had Brits who were some of the best tippers and also Americans who left no tip or a penny with no reason. I had Americans who complained about me and still left a tip as well!

All you can do as a server is do the best you can. There are so many things that can go wrong most not the servers fault, yet they get the short end as they are the face of the company that the guest sees, it's not an easy job on times.

As I said before the system is broken really but it is what it is so you go along with it.
Unread 9 Nov 19, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have been holidaying in America since 1976. I think way back then it was 8% was the norm. However I may be wrong.

I have probably in 43 years tipped enough to buy a Cadillac! It is what it is and I just go with the flow.

We have a Dennys breakfast once per holiday on the first day when we are up early. Those Ladies/Men work their nuts off for not very much. I tip them 20% but as we only have a small meal it's still not very much.

As we have the TIW Card we don't actually tip in Disney. If we had to I wouldn't eat there at all!

Off site I tip 15%+. Certainly not 20%.

If my food goes back with an issue and we end up not eating there they get nothing.

My mantra is quite simple. I never enter discussions with the server if there are issues. Call the Manager as they are paid to deal with problems.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 12:40 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Fourth Trip Of 2019 - Back To SSR
Unread 9 Nov 19, 02:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida White
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

They seem to have inflated the rates when I went for the first time it was suggested tip 10% and 15% and the amount and we always just doubled the tax. Now it has gone to 15% 20% and 22% guides.
Florida White is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Orlando Attraction Tickets