Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 19 Jul 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
How exciting I didn’t realise you had started your trip yet! Enjoyed a quick catch up, your travel days seem relatively hassle free. I’m impressed with your hand luggage only plan. I love that you are staying on a boat. I really want to go to Boston in October I couldn’t believe how expensive the hotels were when I looked. I’m going to look for your book with the fold out map in case I’m lucky enough to get to Boston this year! Looking forward to reading more.
The boat worked out really good value through holidaylettings.co.uk The company is called sleep afloat and has 7 boats. A hotel room would have cost 3 or more times as much. The boat has air con, kitchenette, tv, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and is rather nice.
We are on Lewis wharf, if you look at it and it is brilliantly located for the normal sites.
Tips
1. You don’t need a car in Boston.
2. Carparking hurts.
The taxi from Logan was $30.

The book came off EBay. There are plenty of them.

Hoping it helps.

Edited at 02:37 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 03:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
Looking forward to reading along and staying on a boat for a few nights seems like a great start to your trip.
It’s a bit of a mixed bag really.. but certainly an experience!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Your day walking the freedom trail sounds great. I bet it was sweaty though with that temperature, we had the complete opposite when we went to Boston as it was -10'C as we were there just after Christmas a couple of years ago. It was still a beautiful big blue sky like in your photos.

I agree about not needing a car in Boston it's easily walkable. Are you planning on catching the train out to Harvard? That was a good day out for us. We also wandered up to the Red Sox ground and had lunch up there in Wahlbergers.

Also, don't forget to poke your head into the Cheers bar!

I'm looking forward to the next update to see what you get up to.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Your day walking the freedom trail sounds great. I bet it was sweaty though with that temperature, we had the complete opposite when we went to Boston as it was -10'C as we were there just after Christmas a couple of years ago. It was still a beautiful big blue sky like in your photos.

I agree about not needing a car in Boston it's easily walkable. Are you planning on catching the train out to Harvard? That was a good day out for us. We also wandered up to the Red Sox ground and had lunch up there in Wahlbergers.

Also, don't forget to poke your head into the Cheers bar!

I'm looking forward to the next update to see what you get up to.
Hi Goldia.

It was certainly ‘sweaty’, but given that or -10, We don’t mind ‘sweaty’.
The trail was really good, we reckon that going in to all of the buildings/ sites would have cost in excess of $350. We were happy to see them... from the outside unless free.
We have one full day left and plans for it that will hopefully ‘black cat’ yesterday. We then move on tomorrow to somewhere else. Harvard is not on the agenda (I struggled with my ‘O’ levels).. and none of us ever watched ‘cheers’.

Edited at 12:42 PM.
Old 20 Jul 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The boat worked out really good value through holidaylettings.co’uk The company is called sleep afloat and has 7 boats. A hotel room would have cost 3 or more times as much. The boat has air con, kitchenette, tv, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and is rather nice.
We are on Lewis wharf, if you look at it and it is brilliantly located for the normal sites.
Tips
1. You don’t need a car in Boston.
2. Carparking hurts.
The taxi from Logan was $30.

The book came off EBay. There are plenty of them.

Hoping it helps.
Thank you for the tips, I will have a look at the website. I definitely would avoid a car. I like the idea of travelling around on the train so I’m looking forward to reading about your train journeys on this trip.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 4. Whale watching... or don’t kill the Whale (by Yes).

An early start and breakfast on board before a walk of 300 yards or so to Rowe’s Wharf and our trip with Boston Harbour Cruises.

The boat that took us to Stelwaggen bank

As opposed to the boat that Matt hoped we were going out on.

Mandie waits patiently for a whale.

It went like clockwork. The boat was air conditioned and you could stay under cover (36’) until arrival on the Stelwaggen Bank, around 25 miles off.

A Minke Whale.

A humpback whale (fluke shot).

Humpback

Lighthouse at entrance to Boston harbour.

After our return, the family were whacked and opted for an afternoon nap.. whilst I was not.
I walked out on a recce to South Boston Railway Station (Clue as to day 5 there) and established what to do tomorrow.
I then walked back up to Faneuil (Fanny to the locals) hall.

‘Fanny hall’ (to us locals).

And then on up to the Granary Graveyard as I was unable to find the grave of Christopher Seider yesterday before Mandie ran out of patience. Christopher was actually shot and killed by a British supporting merchant, Ebenezer Richardson for the heinous crime of throwing stones at his house, 11 days before the massacre. Richardson was convicted of Murder, but subsequently given a Royal pardon and a job in the Customs service. (British Foreign policy was always lacking, even in the 1700's). I found him in the same grave and marked on the headstone with the massacre victims. I had photographed this stone yesterday. His name is given as Christopher Snider. A wasted journey! Oh how Mandie laughed when I told her. 😃

The grave of the massacre victims.. and Christopher.

It was then back to the boat and out for dinner at nearby Joes waterfront diner (excellent).

Dan and I wait patiently for our dinner.

We then went back up to Boston Common in the hope of trying the Swan Pedalos that sadly we’re closed.
It is of note that both times we visited the common, there have been a collection of 30 or so vagrants that have clearly been ‘off their faces’. Tonight, it was the 1st time Mandie has stated she felt uncomfortable. If you have children, it may be worth figuring a route to avoid them.
Back to the boat and it’s wonderful aircon. We are now preparing for tomorrow!

17800 steps for the day.

Edited at 11:46 PM.
Old 21 Jul 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

BOSTON CONCLUSIONS

1. It has more history than any town that I have visited in the US. It really was the cradle of the revolution and the ‘Freedom trail’ is awesome if you like history.
2. It is the most expensive US city that I have ever visited, to the extent that it is heavily overpriced.
3. The boat was an awesomely good call, knocking our costs for 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom accommodation down to $200 a night in August, with probably one of the most central locations that you can dream of (plus it made a change from the normal one room hotels).
4. Other than that corner of Boston Common, we always felt safe, day or night and I had no worries letting my boys go to the local shop on their own.
5. Glad I have seen it and ‘ticked it off’. 3 nights was about right for us.
6. Other than Bostons obvious history ( and that is why we visited), San Diego is simply in a different league and remains my no1 US City.

Edited at 01:49 AM.
Old 22 Jul 19, 02:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Day 5. Train to New York New York (so good they named it twice).

It was up early and breakfast before deserting the ship. I have no regrets on the boat decision and would recommend it to anybody on a budget.. plus it was fun!

Departure from our ‘home’ for 3 days. Our bedroom can be seen behind Mandie's shoulder. Dan was up in the Bows and Matt on a foldout bunk in the central, living area. All were comfortable and each had its advantages.

Bye bye Boston (Rowes wharf).

Boston South Station.

Boston South railway station was around 2/3 of a mile away and we walked. The station was large, not overcrowded and easy to use. Remarkably for Boston, food prices within the atrium were very good indeed with Maccy D’s and a number of other outlets.
The train (not the Acela) was spacious, air conditioned and comfy with leather seats, (our 4 were facing). Whilst your seat is reserved, it is worth mentioning that this only means there are enough seats for everybody to have one. Those we chose had a ticket on them saying ‘only for groups of 3 or more’, clearly a family space. We also chose the quiet coach and this quietness was rigorously maintained by the guards of which there were several.

Mandie and Matt being quiet..

After a while I started feeling sick as I do not like travelling backwards and looking out of the window. Matt (who was unaware he even had a window), charged me $5 to swap seats! Good skills.
The train halted for half an hour just before Stamford because the power lines had failed in the heat.. a better excuse than leaves on the rails, I guess. We arrived half an hour late at 1710, by which time the Aircon had packed in.
It was east a block and a half before 2 blocks south to our Hotel (meticulous planning paying great dividends), The Broadway Plaza. The room is unusually large, airy and pleasant with a 50” TV. The deal includes breakfast, a great saving in NY. We seem to have selected well!

The view from our window.

Now it was time for Dan and I to collect some tickets for tomorrow’s activities (the other two were too tired).. The voucher from NY attractions said that it could be redeemed at a number of locations including the nearby Empire State Observatory entrance.. who said that they no longer did this, sending us to ‘Ripleys’ on Times Sq..

The Empire State (That does not redeem tickets)

Ripleys were clueless and took 3/4 hour to generate our tickets. It was strange being directly below the room that we stayed in on our last US visit, albeit 49 floors directly below (The Hilton is built on top of Ripleys starting on floor 25).
Now for the second part of our tasking, namely collect subways for all 4 of us. By the time we were finished, it was 13800 steps for the day.. Now for some sleep!

Dan was chuffed to receive his first ever invite into a ‘stripper bar’. When I pointed out to the doorman that Dan was only 16, he seemed surprised.. before recovering quickly to suggest that I come back on my own, later.

A van that sells candy made from weed.. because I have never seen a van that sells candy made from weed before today.

Edited at 09:15 PM.
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Nice to see a bit of New York, shame it was a pain to collect your tickets.
I think staying on the boat in Boston would be fun, I loved the whale photos. Enjoy your sleep on dry land I’m sure it will feel strange not being rocked by the boat!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Enjoyed catching up on your trip today. The boat looked really cool nice change from a hotel room and cheaper great choice. Boston sounds really interesting keeping it on my bucket list!
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List