Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Managed to get through to the call centre ... twice in fact (as I got cut off on the first call) - to add on the Manchester flight and get half the Avios refunded for our return flight. At least now we don’t have the hassle of driving back from LHR, only driving there.

Only 10-1/2 months to go!
tonymc - is there a chance that you could ask BA to try to manually add a MAN-LHR sector to your outbound booking as you couldn't do it online or was there no Avios availability in CE?
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
tonymc - is there a chance that you could ask BA to try to manually add a MAN-LHR sector to your outbound booking as you couldn't do it online or was there no Avios availability in CE?
There is plenty of availability, but TBH as it was showing an extra £200+ in taxes, it is cheaper to get a one way Avis rental at £80. In addition, we have all day to travel as our flight doesn’t leave until 21:50 so aiming to arrive around 18:00 and use the lounge
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

Mobile

Sorry to interrupt this thread with my own query, but I also manage to be entitled to a free companion ticket each year, but I just don’t understand how I can ever use it.

Mine is only ever valid for 12 months (I am thinking to upgrade to the next credit card where it is valid for 24 months)

Anyway, if my companion ticket becomes available say 1st Feb and outbound travel must take place within 1 year of that, but tickets can only be booked 355 days out, how can I even use it?

Say my companion ticket becomes available on my credit card renewal date of 1st Feb 2020 and I wanted to go to Australia in Oct 2020, I assume there aren’t going to be companion seats available if I were to try and book for Oct 2020?
If I wanted to go Oct 2021 and tried to book at 355 days out, I then wouldn’t be using my voucher within the 12 months?

What am I not understanding?

Or do I just need to upgrade my credit card so that I can use the voucher with 24 months instead of 12?
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dream bigger View Post
Sorry to interrupt this thread with my own query, but I also manage to be entitled to a free companion ticket each year, but I just don’t understand how I can ever use it.

Mine is only ever valid for 12 months (I am thinking to upgrade to the next credit card where it is valid for 24 months)

Anyway, if my companion ticket becomes available say 1st Feb and outbound travel must take place within 1 year of that, but tickets can only be booked 355 days out, how can I even use it?

Say my companion ticket becomes available on my credit card renewal date of 1st Feb 2020 and I wanted to go to Australia in Oct 2020, I assume there aren’t going to be companion seats available if I were to try and book for Oct 2020?
If I wanted to go Oct 2021 and tried to book at 355 days out, I then wouldn’t be using my voucher within the 12 months?

Or do I just need to upgrade my credit card so that I can use the voucher with 24 months instead of 12?
I found on the standard card I was never able to use my companion voucher for these reasons - now I have upgraded, I can finally use it. I haven’t thought of any way to use it better, but I’m definitely not at expert.

Also, I got 6000 Avois when I upgraded and any money you have already spent on the card counts to the £10,000 limit to generate the voucher, so if you have spent £10,000 already you would get the voucher pretty much immediately which would expire in 24 months!
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dream bigger View Post

Yes definitely upgrade your card. It pays for itself with the extra miles you’ll get if you’re spending over £20k a year on it plus you get the 24 months to use the vouchers. Read Headforpoints website for some great info and tips on this. It basically says anyone spending more than £10k should never have the free card.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks for the info
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

So, this morning was my opening window. I called the UK booking number (8am - I felt confident the flights wouldn't be gone as I had done dummy bookings the last few days and there was always availability) they told me to call the freephone number - called the freephone number and then when I selected option 2 (which was correct for what I needed) the automated message said they cannot deal with the request and cut me off.

I then called the American number, got through to travel disruption, who said they would transfer me to the department I needed as I was through to travel disruption (I didn't get any options to press) then the phone rang, and an automated message said call volumes were high and was cut off.

I ended up booking a 1 way trip online, and got what I wanted (YAY albeit very stressful).

However, I obviously need a return flight in 32 days. I have another companion voucher so I thought I would just use it to book the return (don't have enough Avios to just book only with Avios) but I get a message saying can only use the voucher from a UK airport, so I am not sure how I am going to do the return journey without having to call them to book it? Any ideas?

Edited at 11:43 AM.
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
So, this morning was my opening window. I called the UK booking number (8am - I felt confident the flights wouldn't be gone as I had don't dummy bookings the last few days and there was always availability) they told me to call the freephone number - called the freephone number and then when I selected option 2 (which was correct for what I needed) the automated message said they cannot deal with the request and cut me off.

I then called the American number, got through to travel disruption, who said they would transfer me to the department I needed as I was through to travel disruption (I didn't get any options to press) then the phone rang, and an automated message said call volumes were high and was cut off.

I ended up booking a 1 way trip online, and got what I wanted (YAY albeit very stressful).

However, I obviously need a return flight in 32 days. I have another companion voucher so I thought I would just use it to book the return (don't have enough Avios to just book only with Avios) but I get a message saying can only use the voucher from a UK airport, so I am not sure how I am going to do the return journey without having to call them to book it? Any ideas?
I can't think of any work around to enable you to book without calling BA - even if you had enough Avios to book the return flight you still need to ring them to attach the voucher to both journeys (see below)

A flight using the 2-4-1 voucher has to start in the UK so you can't use it to start in Orlando.

To book using a 2-4-1 on 2 separate PNR's this is generally what you follow:-

1. Book outbound for date required using voucher.
2. To book return you need the full amount of Avios for the passengers - make booking and then phone BA to get them to attach the voucher to both bookings and refund the Avios.
A word of caution if you do it this way there is no recalculation of taxes fees and charges so for US journeys you will end up paying more.

From your description as you don't have enough Avios to book 2 PNR's it will be easier to ring BA to add your return journey to the original.

I am sure if anyone else can think of a way around your problem they will be along soon with suggestions.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
So, this morning was my opening window. I called the UK booking number (8am - I felt confident the flights wouldn't be gone as I had done dummy bookings the last few days and there was always availability) they told me to call the freephone number - called the freephone number and then when I selected option 2 (which was correct for what I needed) the automated message said they cannot deal with the request and cut me off.

I had to call BA a couple of times in the last few weeks; on both occasions I got the busy/high call volumes message & was cut off.
Just keep calling back; I got the same message/cut off a few more times but I did get through by calling back again & again & got into the hold queue.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

When I called to book my return flight I called the US number (via Skype for free) at 1am when the flights were released. They added it to the original booking to make it a return.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List