Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Jan 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
minniemouse
Looking for Mickey

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Home Away-covid refund

Has anyone been successful in obtaining a refund for accommodation booked through Home Away due to being unable to travel re covid? Travel Insurance is not covering it. I'm assuming Home Away is only an advertising site and the contract is with the individual owner.
Old 20 Jan 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

We had to claim from the insurers when we had to cancel due to Irma they were so disinterested in helping in any way.
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

If they are the same company as vrbo, which I think they maybe, then we got a full refund on 2 trips we had booked
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We were booked for last May through Home Away. Full refund promptly received but from owner

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We got a partial refund through them last year, we’d only paid the deposit.
emmabanana is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

I got the money back from the owner but not the deposit/ Home Away fee. It's VRBO now - not sure if that makes a difference to claiming anything back.
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
OP they are just a listing site and the owner sets there own cancelation policy, although they were urging owners to refund guests who could not travel it was at the owners discretion.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
minniemouse
Looking for Mickey

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Thanks for the replies. I thought it may be down to the individual owner.
Old 8 Feb 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

I've cancelled a condo booking for the Gulf Coast and the money was back in my CC account in four days.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
neil1489
Trainee Dibber

My booking was direct with a UK based owner and my original booking was terminated less than a month before we were due to travel due to the first covid lockdown. The owner at that time said that he would only refund us the security deposit. In the end he finally agreed to amend the booking to this year but yet again this booking was terminated due to lockdown. After a bit of research I found the following

gov.uk/government/public...on-and-refunds

gov.uk/cma-cases/cancell...-accommodation

Using this advice I negotiated with the owner and he has finally agreed a 50% refund which I have accepted. I did take advice from a solicitor about "frustrated contracts" which is where a contract cannot go ahead as originally planned due to no fault of either party and I was advised it didn't always qualify for a full refund because a court was likely to ensure no party was made to suffer a loss but it does mean that accommodation owners are legally obliged to give refunds even if that refund is less their own costs.
neil1489 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List