Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jan 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Think I need to move my trip again :(

Yes - I cannot see things being open enough to enjoy my trip on May 12th this year - even IF I get a vaccine, the restrictions on Disney, entry to Japan etc etc - it is all too messy and unlikely to get sorted in time.

So the plan is to put it back another year, but also make the trip a bit longer. Next year is a big birthday for my partner so the plan is to make it at least 3 weeks with visits to Japan, Australia (Perth area to visit friends), Singapore and possibly Hong Kong.

Everyone has had a crap last few months with ths current situation but I lost both my parents during this time in quick succession.

I had really "hung my hat" on going on this trip in May and for reasons my partner does not really get (they do not really get my love of Disney) it has really devastated me.

People are in worse situations I know, but am at my lowest since this all started.
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rae21
Excited about Disney

Sorry to hear this Anthony. Totally understand how you’re feeling I’m not even certain I’ll be going in November but I’m clinging on to hope. I’m in the same situation with family not “getting” the way I feel about the trip - mine is more Tokyo/Japan than Disney but I know where you’re coming from.
Rae21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Im so sorry to read of the loss of your parents, and you are right, our holiday plans give us a glimmer of hope to hang on to of a more normal time, and we all need that positivity whether it is hopes of a holiday, wedding, or just seeing our friends and family again. Sadly I dont think international travel will be up and running by May (I would so dearly love to be proved wrong, and its just my humble opinion), we have US trips booked in August and October, and I grow less hopeful for them each day, hence why we have some UK mini breaks planned to give us some family time to hopefully look forward to.

After my initial disappointment when we realised last summer that our longed for August 2020 trip to the west coast wasnt going to happen, Ive taken a more pragmatic approach and I continue to book and plan our holidays, as I get a lot of enjoyment from it, knowing that if we have to postpone again, its fine because we will eventually get there.
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am really sorry to hear your bad news.

It is very, very frustrating. I cancelled last March, cancelled last August and now fear that I will be cancelling this August. (Mum passed last March)

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:21 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

So sorry to hear this, particularly as it has been such a hard time for you.

Our trip (silver wedding) has been rebooked for November and I am continuing to hope - but I just don’t know whether it will happen.

Happy to bring you along as personal tour guide if it does...!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rae21 View Post
Sorry to hear this Anthony. Totally understand how you’re feeling I’m not even certain I’ll be going in November but I’m clinging on to hope. I’m in the same situation with family not “getting” the way I feel about the trip - mine is more Tokyo/Japan than Disney but I know where you’re coming from.
Well to be honest it is probably 50/50 with Disney and Japan itself - we had such amazing time in Tokyo on the trip 2 May ago, that was looking forward to Tokyo again as much as Disney to be honest.
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TinkerBabe View Post
Im so sorry to read of the loss of your parents, and you are right, our holiday plans give us a glimmer of hope to hang on to of a more normal time, and we all need that positivity whether it is hopes of a holiday, wedding, or just seeing our friends and family again. Sadly I dont think international travel will be up and running by May (I would so dearly love to be proved wrong, and its just my humble opinion), we have US trips booked in August and October, and I grow less hopeful for them each day, hence why we have some UK mini breaks planned to give us some family time to hopefully look forward to.

After my initial disappointment when we realised last summer that our longed for August 2020 trip to the west coast wasnt going to happen, Ive taken a more pragmatic approach and I continue to book and plan our holidays, as I get a lot of enjoyment from it, knowing that if we have to postpone again, its fine because we will eventually get there.
It was just, have had a poor year, this is a nice thing to look forward to - type of thing.
Old 25 Jan 21, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
So sorry to hear this, particularly as it has been such a hard time for you.

Our trip (silver wedding) has been rebooked for November and I am continuing to hope - but I just don’t know whether it will happen.

Happy to bring you along as personal tour guide if it does...!
We can but hope - would love to be a tour guide for Tokyo but my experience is with only 1 trip

But it was sooo good and I ate things like sushi which I will not do at home, and the Japanese people were so nice and considerate... luckily not much spending done in the shops as clothing does not come in my sizes there. A trip to US can eat a good chunk of money on clothing shopping!
Old 25 Jan 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
It was just, have had a poor year, this is a nice thing to look forward to - type of thing.
I know exactly how you feel, I lost my mum a couple of months ago and with this never ending lockdown,it does feel harder at the moment (miserable weather probably not helping!) and so it’s understandable to be really looking forward to a holiday (particularly on a holiday forum!) - hopefully the bigger and better plans for next year will give you something to focus on 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
...luckily not much spending done in the shops as clothing does not come in my sizes there. A trip to US can eat a good chunk of money on clothing shopping!
LOL we say the same! We are both Baymax sized so unless we can find a sumo outfitter - and they don’t wear much...!

Already thinking of bringing dressing gowns as the hotel ones won’t fit and we want to do an onsen.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List