Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Dec 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Washington DC

Thinking of booking Washington DC for 4 nights at October half term. Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Centric in Arlington? Seems a good location, with easy access to the metro, and places to eat nearby. We’re a family of 4 (kids will be 15 & 13). Decent price on BA, so tempted to book.
Old 20 Dec 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
CathyEarnshaw
Proud to wear my Ears

We have stayed there and it was lovely with great beds! It was close to local buses and the metro (horrible escalators if you have a fear of heights though) and walkable across the bridge into Georgetown. Close to a Starbucks which was handy in the mornings. We didn’t eat at the hotel - so can’t help you there unfortunately
CathyEarnshaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We stayed in the Doubltree by Hilton at Crystal City next to the Reagan Airport, so nearby. The location was perfect with very easy access to the bottom of the Mall ($5 taxi fare).
I cannot think of a better location from which to explore the main attractions of Washington and wholeheartedly recommend the area in general.

The Doubletree has a rotating restaurant with stunning views. The food was very good indeed.

For us, we wanted to see Arlington, Pentagon The Mall, Whitehouse and the Smithsonians. You really could not be nearer to the whole lot.. and need no car or metro to achieve it.

The only mild snag was the Hazy. Centre, which was 30 miles away at Dulles... so we flew out of Dulles after a $70 taxi and a day in the Hazy.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:41 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Stayed at the Omni Shoreham - great hotel , handy for the metro and had eateries around it
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

For me I prefer Old Town Alexandria. I have visited DC must be well over a hundred times for work for 37 years and stayed in many places but this is the very best location - on waterfront and can take river taxis if needs be, by the metro for visiting, and Old Town is just one of the nicest places in the USA - great restaurants bars vibe and shops. Although Ed stayed my work (in between several locations I needed to be in) was perfect. If I had to visit DC for pleasure and not staying with friend I would, without any doubt, stay there ( I have also stayed Tysons Corner, DuPont, Crystal City, and right near White House and wouldn’t return to any of those if I had a choice)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I echo Megaflyer. Old Town Alexandria is just wonderful. Has an amazing vibe and fantastic places to stay and eat. It’s also on the metro yellow and blue lines so great and easy access into the city. It also has the water taxi that will take you across to National Harbor. Pops Ice Cream parlour is fab and so is Hard Times Chilli restaurant.

I have been a dozen times to DC and am hopefully going again in September. It my favourite city in the world. So much to see and so much to do.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Thanks for all the feedback. I did look at Old Town, but wasn’t too sure if it was too far out. BA have 2 hotels in that area - Lorien Hotel and Spa and The Westin Alexandria Old Town. Both of these are slightly cheaper than Hyatt Centric. Decisions, decisions...
Old 20 Dec 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I did look at Old Town, but wasn’t too sure if it was too far out. BA have 2 hotels in that area - Lorien Hotel and Spa and The Westin Alexandria Old Town. Both of these are slightly cheaper than Hyatt Centric. Decisions, decisions...
I have stayed in around half a dozen in Alexandria but my favourite is the Kimpton (think same as you as Lorien) Its a smaller intimate hotel - not fancy but great location and staff have been there once it was a Holiday Inn Select - sign of it being a good hotel if the staff are loyal for years.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

visitalexandriava/old-town-alexandria/

visitalexandriava/pl...orail-and-bus/

Would take about 20 mins on the metro from King Street to Smithsonian stop on the blue line. Blue line also stops at Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery so its fairly well served for the main things to see. Pentagon City is a mall that it stops at too and it has a pretty decent food court for a quick bite to eat.

wmata/schedules/maps/
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List