Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Dec 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Following this thread as I'm also considering having either traditional braces (ceramic though so mildly less obvious) or Invisalign. Actually went to an orthodontist a couple of years ago with the intention of getting them, but then work got so busy that I couldn't manage to schedule any follow up appointment and decided that it wasn't good timing to have braces done.

Might try to schedule an appointment with an orthodontist in January! And I guess if I went for Invisalign one advantage might be cutting down on my snacking throughout the day?
Yes I definitely hoping weight loss is a side effect I get!
Also not having to go to orthodontist very often would suit you with work, I say go for it!
Mine says that finance clears around 1st Jan so they will then order the invisalign trays which will take 2-3 wks, I'll be starting in January then! Not looking forward to the extractions in Feb or wearing them in Florida when I'll want to eat and snack all day but I'm sure it will be worth it! Xx
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ashilda View Post
So I've just signed up for invisilign braces at the age of 38! And at a cost if 4k!
Anyone else have/had them? If so what are your experiences? Any top tips?
I had the normal train track braces at the age of about 42. I wish I had done the Invisalign ones. I have them on for about 5 years and ended up with my gums receding quite bad and in the end lost a tooth and now have a false one!

A friend has had the Invisalign and in a very short time her teeth have really moved and look amazing.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I had metal train tracks fitted in October. I’m glad they were fitted as they were so sore the first couple of days I’d have definitely taken them out if I could, which I know defeats the purpose. I’ve gone through total orthodontists who do Invisalign and the ceramic braces but I went for the metal ones as they were cheaper but mainly because I was told they’d move my teeth faster. I’ve paid £1750 for top and bottom. My biggest concern was that I had a tooth sticking forward on the bottom. Ten days after the first tightening and this tooth has moved back, so I’m really pleased with that. They’re still going to be on for a few more months so I can’t wait to see how they look at the end of it.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
I completed my Invisalign in September 2017 and am very pleased with the results. It took 60 weeks and I went to see the dentist every 6-8 weeks for him to check progress and provide the next 3-4 sets of aligners.
There was nothing painful about the process at all (I too read the online horror stories). Follow the instructions, be scrupulous about cleaning both your teeth and the aligners and you shouldn't have any problems.
£4k seems to be the going rate, that's what I paid too. I then got a 5% discount for paying it all upfront. That kept me motivated on days when it felt hard to keep them in my mouth for 22 hours a day - I'd paid so I would damn well see it through!
At the end I was given two options - either a bar fixed behind my front teeth to hold them in position or clear retainers to wear at night. I opted for the latter as it makes for easier teeth cleaning.
Lisping was never an issue for me and I hope it won't be for you either. Most people had no idea I was wearing aligners unless I told them.
Sorry I missed this reply gornetgirl. In glad you're happy with your results and I'm glad lisping wasn't an issue for you, hope I'm as lucky!

Can I ask what you used to clean your aligned? I'm such a slow eater I'm not sure how I'll fit in 3 meals and minimum 3 times teeth brushing in 2 hours, was thinking i could get sterilising tablets and soak aligned in that whilst i brush teeth? Or did you scrub them clean with something?

I'm obviously going to ask dentist but in your opinion, would i be ok wearing them just at night for the 2 weeks we are in Florida? I wouldn't expect any progress but would it do damage somehow? Don't fancy brushing my teeth in restaurants and no way could I do the 22 hours thing unless I take them out at table when meals arrive and run to bathroom after!
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I had the normal train track braces at the age of about 42. I wish I had done the Invisalign ones. I have them on for about 5 years and ended up with my gums receding quite bad and in the end lost a tooth and now have a false one!

A friend has had the Invisalign and in a very short time her teeth have really moved and look amazing.
Ugh, sounds like you're having an awful experience, I wouldn't be at all happy, I hope your teeth at least ended up straight, such a worry, if only we had done this in our teens and for free!
Old 24 Dec 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I had metal train tracks fitted in October. I’m glad they were fitted as they were so sore the first couple of days I’d have definitely taken them out if I could, which I know defeats the purpose. I’ve gone through total orthodontists who do Invisalign and the ceramic braces but I went for the metal ones as they were cheaper but mainly because I was told they’d move my teeth faster. I’ve paid £1750 for top and bottom. My biggest concern was that I had a tooth sticking forward on the bottom. Ten days after the first tightening and this tooth has moved back, so I’m really pleased with that. They’re still going to be on for a few more months so I can’t wait to see how they look at the end of it.
Amazing price you got there, mine wasn't hugely less for metal tracks and with the extractions it would be more comfortable with invisalign, just hope theres no pain because I really am a wimp, its all paid now so if I decide I can't do it I've lost my money!
Old 24 Dec 18, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Sorry I missed this reply gornetgirl. In glad you're happy with your results and I'm glad lisping wasn't an issue for you, hope I'm as lucky!

Can I ask what you used to clean your aligned? I'm such a slow eater I'm not sure how I'll fit in 3 meals and minimum 3 times teeth brushing in 2 hours, was thinking i could get sterilising tablets and soak aligned in that whilst i brush teeth? Or did you scrub them clean with something?

I'm obviously going to ask dentist but in your opinion, would i be ok wearing them just at night for the 2 weeks we are in Florida? I wouldn't expect any progress but would it do damage somehow? Don't fancy brushing my teeth in restaurants and no way could I do the 22 hours thing unless I take them out at table when meals arrive and run to bathroom after!
I’d wear them. You will be used to dealing with it in at meals. Get yourself little container to put it in your bag. Katie often just has a drink of water before reinserting. Not ideal but I think better than not wearing it.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
zokaluse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post

My orthodontist warned me of receding gums but I already had some from over brushing so I’ve been saving for gum grafts to correct them after all my treatment.
DLP Jan 2014 H Cheyenne & H New York
DLP Dec 2014 Sequoia Lodge
Florida Aug/Sept 2016 RPR/WDW BC/DCL Dream Bahamian 4 night cruise/ WDW BC
DLP Dec 2016 Newport Bay Club
Disney Magic Staycation Cruise Aug 2021

Aug 2023;BC 9 nights WV, AKL 8 nights SV, HRH 3 nights FRCL, CB 2BS, Weeki Watchee 2 nights, Holmes Beach house 8 nights
zokaluse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Originally Posted by zokaluse View Post
My orthodontist warned me of receding gums but I already had some from over brushing so I’ve been saving for gum grafts to correct them after all my treatment.
I already have receding gums, will invisalign make this worse? My mom suffers with bone gum erosion and has lost 3 teeth now, my nan had the same and lost all of hers. I've not been too concerned as my teeth quite healthy and feel strong but where gums has receded I can see the root on a couple of teeth and they are sensitive now. I will mention this to orthodontist.
Old 25 Dec 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Yes I definitely hoping weight loss is a side effect I get!
Also not having to go to orthodontist very often would suit you with work, I say go for it!
Mine says that finance clears around 1st Jan so they will then order the invisalign trays which will take 2-3 wks, I'll be starting in January then! Not looking forward to the extractions in Feb or wearing them in Florida when I'll want to eat and snack all day but I'm sure it will be worth it! Xx
Yeah the main issue I had at that time was that my work day was so busy that I couldn't even guarantee being able to get lunch on any given day, much less have time to brush my teeth and put back the Invisalign after!

Oooh though errr snacking might be hard with the Invisalign. Actually this was a minor reason for me putting off getting Invisalign/braces a couple of years ago (impending WDW trip where I wanted to snack as it was Food and Wine)... Unfortunately I never went back after...

Edited at 03:36 PM.
sky13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List