Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 25 Aug 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Anyone make their own smoothies?

I'd like to start making my own smoothies and have seen that there are various ways of making them: fresh fruit, frozen fruit, fruit juice, yoghurt, ice, coconut oil, coconut milk, various powders etc.

I just wondered if anyone makes their own and what method/recipe they use? I'm looking at more tropical fruits, rather than berries, but I'm not a fan of banana so would only want to use that in very small quantities.

Thanks 😊

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I do this in fits and starts.
TBH, I just chuck whatever fruit we have in the house and some fruit juice - doenst really matter what.
It all turns out fine. Cant be bothered with recipes as that required organisation. So I just chuck whatever in. I use a normal blender, but am think of buying a Nutribullet or something similar.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

We use frozen fruits, banana and juice. And if we have anything that needs using up, that gets thrown in too!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

I just use anything and add water if I don’t have juice - be careful using bananas as they overpower other fruits in flavour I think x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

Mobile

Frozen or fresh fruit I use both,with a little apple juice to make it easier to drink. I love the berries ones as also don't like banana in smoothies due to overpowering flavour. Pineapple and passion fruit is lovely if you like tropical flavour. I've got a small blender and hand blender,both work fine,I find it better without the juicing attachment on the small blender. No need to buy an expensive nutri bullet,inexpensive hand blender will do just as good a job.
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have a nutribullet and if I’m making a fruit based smoothie I use frozen fruit and I like almond milk for creamy texture.

I do love smoothie recipes by Deliciously Ella, they’re vegan and although I’m a meat eater, I love them. I love she does some fab but different combinations. For example in one of her books there’s a bedtime smoothie using oats and almond butter among other things that’s so comforting and tasty.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

A quick one without Banana is fresh pineapple and Tinned peaches in natural juice.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Like others, I just use either fresh or frozen fruit with a bit of fruit juice (apple or orange usually) so it isn't too thick. Sometimes put ice in too. I've noticed that my blender struggles a bit with completely hard frozen fruit, so I try to plan ahead a bit and take some out to defrost a little before blending. I like the idea above of using tinned fruit with the juice from the tin, I hadn't thought of that!

I know you said you weren't planning on using berries, but in case you do, I steer clear of raspberries in my smoothies now - far too many seeds and they just don't break down.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I usually just chuck in whatever fruit I fancy or have available and some fruit juice usually apple.I don't add banana milk or yougart but those will all give a creamier taste.

If you use frozen fruit it tends to be thicker as it goes to a slushie type consistency

I love berry flavours so its usually strawberry,raspberry, blueberry ect and I'll end up using a mix of fresh/frozen depending on what I have in.You do tend to get a lot of bits with berry smoothies and the taste can be a bit tart so some people find they need to add some kind of sweetening. I use a regular blender and it does the job fine nutri bullet or similar are meant to give a smoother finish(less bits) esp if you use a lot of bitty fruit or leafy veg but I've never tired one.

For more exotic fruits I tend to buy frozen as can not be bothered with the prep esp with pineapple and its often cheaper than buying fresh too. You can buy individual fruits and mix to your taste or some places do bags of mixed fruits aimed at smoothies. Coconut milk is a common addition to tropical smoothies as it compliments the other flavours.

You can add protein powders or other enhancements that can improve the nutritional value but they are not essential
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Any combo of fresh frozen or tinned fruit. Either coconut water or almond milk. I normally chucked in a couple of big handfuls of spinach and some chia seeds
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List