Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 Dec 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
KSB8989
Getting Excited

Free Nights Offer

Just to let everyone know the free nights offer appears to have gone live. Not many room choices at the moment though.

I can’t see another thread but apologies if there is one.

Edited at 07:32 PM.
KSB8989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Doesn’t look like there’s much more available than there was before the offer. I was keeping my fingers crossed for POFQ but it looks like we may have to stick to CSR.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I read a lot of posts about how feee dining isn’t really “free” yet every year I do the same check and get the same result...

14 nights - Free dining offer @ Beach Club upgraded to deluxe dining = £9,059
14 nights - Free nights offer @ Beach Club with deluxe dining = £10,766.33

So where do people come from on free dining not actually being free? Compared to which offer?
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I read a lot of posts about how feee dining isn’t really “free” yet every year I do the same check and get the same result...

So where do people come from on free dining not actually being free? Compared to which offer?
I don’t know why people say that either. Long gone are the days when the room discount was a better offer than free dining as the discount has been less and less over the years. Several years ago 2 adults in a deluxe may have got a better deal with the room discount but I don’t think that’s the case now. Of course it does depend how much you spend on food.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I don’t know why people say that either. Long gone are the days when the room discount was a better offer than free dining as the discount has been less and less over the years. Several years ago 2 adults in a deluxe may have got a better deal with the room discount but I don’t think that’s the case now. Of course it does depend how much you spend on food.
And didn’t even mention the 300 dollar gift card I go :P
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post

What's the comparison cost just for standard DDP (without the deluxe upgrade)? And how many people is that for? Because I would guess the price depends on the number of guests per room.

Your example doesn't really prove that it isn't "free". It proves that it's cheaper to get the deluxe dining plan when the "free" dining offer is on rather than when the "free" nights offer is on, that's all. And I suspect it's true that getting "a room + any dining plan" is generally cheaper whilst free dining is on than getting "a room + any dining plan" at any other time of year.

But for those not that bothered in the dining plan, it's still a fact that the cost of a room for 14 nights is almost 40% more expensive during the free dining offer than it will be now during the free nights offer. Therefore, you are in effect paying for that dining plan when it's "free" in the higher cost of the room, albeit at a much better price than buying it separately.

So, rather than "free", instead it's "included in the price".

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:18 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

@Nimbus already covered the number of guests in the room issue. That's one factor. A solo traveller will only get 1 time the DDP value, compared to 1 time the room discount value, a party of 4 adults would get 4 times more discount value with the free dining, when they would still get the same room discount as the solo traveller.

so basically, the more people in the room, the more discount on free dining

but there is also another factor

what do you pay in order to get the free DDP ?

it's easy when you're going to stay at Beach Club (for example) no matter what, and that's final. Then, yes, getting the free dining is good value and will only be free for you

but, many DIBBers here will choose to stay onsite because the free dining is on, or even choose to upgrade their standards (=pay more) to book into a deluxe for free DDP instead of the value resort they would otherwise have chosen and pay OOP for meals

how many DIBBers here will choose to stay onsite because of free dining when they would otherwise have stayed value, or even on I-Drive, Hotel Plaza Bld, or wherever else ?

the thing is that, for quite a fair number of people here (and they probably won't be willing to admit it) going for free dining means they will go for a more expensive hotel than they would otherwise have picked.

and in the end, sure they have an onsite hotel, but they will also pay about twice as much for accomodation as they would have elsewhere. This, just in order to get the "free" dining, which then is all but free, and in the end, the vacations of Mr&Mrs AverageDibbers may cost them more under free dining, than it would if they had booked elsewhere while still doing the exact same meals OOP

then again, if you're going to book into BC no matter what, then, by all means, free dining means you don't pay for your meals, and it's free

but for a larger (I think) majority, free dining will drive people to book onsite when they wouldn't have, and for them, free dining may not always be free because they'll pay more for accomodation to get "free" dining

comparing the same stay, with and without free dining is just an incomplete way to do it
you got to compare the stay people would do without free dining, and the stay they do with free dining. and whatever overhead they pay in order to benefit from free dining

free dining is not free, because you need to stay at a disney hotel in order to get it. If this becomes an incentive to stay onsite, then you're actually paying more in order to get free stuff ... and, this obviously doesn't qualify as "free stuff", but rather an all inclusive offer.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Mobile

I’ve said this so many times I should have it saved somewhere! Free dining is only worth it if you would have stayed at that resort anyway but either way it’s free compared to paying rack rate without it so it’s still free! A room discount may be preferable to some who stay at a more expensive hotel and don’t eat at Disney.

Trip Report Index
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post

For the last few years I have compared our costings for same room with free dining versus free nights. Free dining has always been better value, that is for two people in the room. I think they only time possible free nights might be better is if there is only one person in the room.

As an aside, the free nights offer is not looking that good. I made a booking during the free dining booking period but for December so was not actually eligible for free dining. The same resort and room is now £300 more expensive than my booking despite apparently £500 off for free nights. Plus I got $200 gift card whereas wouldn’t get that now, I am glad I didn’t wait for free night offer to book.

Edited at 09:13 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
how many DIBBers here will choose to stay onsite because of free dining when they would otherwise have stayed value, or even on I-Drive, Hotel Plaza Bld, or wherever else ?
At least one - me!

I've stayed onsite at a moderate resort in the past because of free dining and I'll be staying onsite next year because of free dining. Well, not just because of free dining - the convenient access to the Disney parks is also a factor (and, to a much lesser extent, EMH, early fastpass booking, free MagicBands, and Magical Express are also benefits). But free dining is a big part of why I've booked to stay at the POFQ. If that wasn't on offer then I'd probably stay on Hotel Plaza Blvd for the Disney part of my stay and probably save myself money.

I'm doing a split stay next year - half at POFQ with free dining and half at the Embassy Suites on I Drive. The rooms at the Embassy Suites are much better than the POFQ rooms - they're suites with a separate living room and kitchenette, for starters. I'll also get free breakfasts and free drinks and snacks in the evening at the Embassy Suites. All for less than half the price of staying at POFQ.

Free dining does indeed get people to spend more to stay at a more expensive onsite hotel. But I feel that's not really what dx4100 was talking about.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List