Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Feb 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

What do you do if you go to Hilton Head Island?

Hi

For anyone who has stayed at Hilton Head Island?

Was it Nice?
Which airports did you use?
Did you combine it with a road trip?
How many days would you recomend staying?

Thanks
Old 11 Feb 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

Hi

We haven’t stayed yet but have our first visit planned in just under 2 months.

We are doing 6 nights AKL and then 8 nights HHI. We are planning on driving to HHI from Orlando, should take 5-6 hours so we have breakfast booked at ‘Ohana in the morning then will leave after that, will stop halfway for lunch somewhere, maybe around St Augustine although that’s not quite halfway. We are 2 adults with 3 small children aged 5, 3 and 1.

We plan to spend a lot of time at the pool and on the beach, there’s also loads of activities at the resort every day - they produce a weekly schedule of everything that’s going on so hopefully we will be entertained! I’ve also booked a dolphin boat safari and this pirate adventure for the children, we also plan on going to the local petting zoo.

There is a quick service restaurant onsite and another at the beach house (you probably know this but the resort isn’t on the beach so they have a separate beach house about 1 mile away) but there are loads of lovely looking restaurants within walking distance or a short walk away.

The resort has quite some following and I’m really looking forward to trying it, I’m hoping we will love it and it will become a regular vacation spot for us in addition to the parks as my husband is always on at me to reduce our Disney trips sadly so this would be a nice compromise!

There’s a great Facebook group for the resort which I’ve found great for advice and information, restaurant recommendations etc

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Hilton Head Island is about the best place I have ever been. We had a fabulous time there and i cannot wait to go back- probably 2020.
It is largely a beach holiday, but you can go down to Harbour Town which is nice on an evening.
I also highly recommend a drive out to Savannah and even Charleston, but that is a bit further.
When I went there i flew into Atlanta, went to the Smokies, then to North Myrtle (that I would not go to again, I wasn't a fan of Myrtle, way too busy), then to Charleston, then to Hilton Head, then back to Atlanta to fly home.
I did not stay in the Disney hotel when I went to HHI- but I stayed opposite in Palmetto Dunes and it was seeing the hotel that actually piqued my first enquiry into DVC. Needless to say next time I go I am in that DVC hotel, it is a really lovely hotel.

Edited at 02:29 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. We flew in to Atlanta, stayed overnight and then drove there the following morning. We stayed a week and then went on to Asheville for a six nights before heading back from Atlanta. We stayed in a beach hut/cabin set and hired bikes for exploring the island. We also did a kayak trip and took the boat to savannah for the day. It was a fabulous trip and we loved relaxed vibe on HHI.
Old 11 Feb 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. We flew in to Atlanta, stayed overnight and then drove there the following morning. We stayed a week and then went on to Asheville for a six nights before heading back from Atlanta. We stayed in a beach hut/cabin set and hired bikes for exploring the island. We also did a kayak trip and took the boat to savannah for the day. It was a fabulous trip and we loved relaxed vibe on HHI.
How long did it take you to drive? This is def on the list for next year