Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 28 Feb 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Special Assistance

I suffer from an illness and most times I can walk ( But with pain and hardship ) but I like to just battle on and use a stick for support.
However there are times when I just can not cope and need to stop,sit down, one of these times being first thing in the morning or if I have been confined to sitting for a long period.
On our last 2 trips my illness has been worse and made the journey through the airport a little distressing.

So I spoke to BA regarding this who said no worries and booked Special Assistance, I received an email to confirm this which said service 2 A wheelchair has been booked.

But I do not use a chair at home just a stick
I always arrive at the airport early but this time we have a connection, so the connecting flight I may need help depending on how long we have (As it is I think time is fine Unless things change )

My worry is what If I do not require the wheel chair on arrival at the airport ?
I do not want to use it just because I can that would just be stupid and take the time of the assistant up.

If I say I do not need it, will this cancel it for my second flight and my returning flights ?

Another question I have is regarding the rest of my party I read you might be transported on a cart and your party is told where they can meet you ( I do not want to be separated )
Can anyone please give some clear advise as to how this all works.
I have never used this service before so its all new to me and I am beginning to feel like this has become a worry rather than a help
Old 2 Mar 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

We are just back, travelled BA Edi-LGW-MCO and return. 5 Adults.
On the way out I made my own way through Edinburgh, at Gatwick myself and DH went on the golf cart thing and met up with the other 3 in the transit area on the second level near the shops. I was given a time when they would come back for me along with a buzzer. They did this and took me and DH to the gate. At MCO there was a wheelchair which DH used to push me in. After the long flight I was stiff and sore and really appreciated it although could have managed.
On the way home at check in I was offered assistance at MCO which I turned down but requested it at LGW. When we got to LGW there was no one on the airbridge. There was a man with a golfcart at the end of the corridor and I gave him my name. He was less than helpful and said that there was only room for me and the others could not walk alongside the cart, he had about 12 people to pick up and I would be quicker walking. Welcome to the UK!
Old 4 Mar 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
We are just back, travelled BA Edi-LGW-MCO and return. 5 Adults.
On the way out I made my own way through Edinburgh, at Gatwick myself and DH went on the golf cart thing and met up with the other 3 in the transit area on the second level near the shops. I was given a time when they would come back for me along with a buzzer. They did this and took me and DH to the gate. At MCO there was a wheelchair which DH used to push me in. After the long flight I was stiff and sore and really appreciated it although could have managed.
On the way home at check in I was offered assistance at MCO which I turned down but requested it at LGW. When we got to LGW there was no one on the airbridge. There was a man with a golfcart at the end of the corridor and I gave him my name. He was less than helpful and said that there was only room for me and the others could not walk alongside the cart, he had about 12 people to pick up and I would be quicker walking. Welcome to the UK!
Thank you so much for this info, Shame about the last leg of your trip.
Its the part where we may get split that is a worry DW will be left alone and she is not very good at doing airports.

Think I will ask for a chair and she can push me instead of hopping on a cart