Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Mar 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
orangeone123
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Anyone work for HSBC - question

Me and my husband have separated, we have a joint HSBC account, he has changed all the Internet banking passwords so I can’t get access to it. Luckily I opened my own bank account in the early days, and moved everything to my own bank account, so I don’t need access to this account. I want to just remove my name from the joint account, but I can find out any information online if this is possible. I’m just wondering if any body works there and could let me know if I can do this or not. I will have to travel to our nearest branch, as they have closed all the local ones, so if it can’t be done, it just saves me a journey. Thanks
orangeone123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Have a look at this might help

thelawdictionary/article...-bank-account/
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Irishsmurfy
Excited about Disney

I believe (but hope I'm wrong) that to remove one person from a joint a/c needs the agreement of both parties involved.
2011 Old Key West
2012 Orange Lake Resort, Portofino Bay Hotel, Disney Beach Club
Irishsmurfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

As above, I still have an account open in joint names with an ex who I have not seen or heard from for 16/17 years. The only way for me to get my name off that account is to find him and get him to come with me to remove my name which is never going to happen.
Old 26 Mar 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It can be done - but only if the account is in credit and you do not want access to any of the money in it.

I had to do this - ex moved 200 miles away and did not have his address. Went into my branch said I wanted to be removed from the account and did not want anything from it, just wanted my name removed and disassociated from the account,

To me it was all seamless and easy - don't know if they contacted him for anything as he disappeared off my radar the moment he walked.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
It can be done - but only if the account is in credit and you do not want access to any of the money in it.

I had to do this - ex moved 200 miles away and did not have his address. Went into my branch said I wanted to be removed from the account and did not want anything from it, just wanted my name removed and disassociated from the account,

To me it was all seamless and easy - don't know if they contacted him for anything as he disappeared off my radar the moment he walked.
This sounds right to me. I find it difficult to process that a bank would not remove somebody from an account in credit if they so wished.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

My account is a savings account, so only ever been in credit and there is money in there. It was 2 to sign which is why I can never be removed despite me not wanting a penny from the account.

I spent years trying to sort, it actually still financially linked us so around 6 years ago when I realised this I disassociated myself from him in terms of credit checks etc.
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I guess it all depends on the bank op, ring your bank and see what they say.
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Also depends if either of you can sign cheques (!), written communications etc or need both sigs. Current accounts tend to be ‘either’ in which case they should do it. You could write to them so they can check your signature.

I hope they let you do it because if your ex should overdraw the account in the future you would be liable to half OR all the debt.

Good luck xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

If the account operates on 1 signature (either to sign) you should be able to write to the bank and request it to be closed. Is that an option?
I know when I worked in a bank, to remove 1 party from a joint accouny required the authority of the remaing party.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List