Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jan 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Mobile So stressful - finding flights when whole party not staying for 3 weeks... reassure me please...

So, I’m in the August 2019 club, (8th-29th) flying from Manchester, there’s 5 of us, 2 Adults, 3 kids, my son is 17, will be 18 in August (one of the reasons for the trip is his 18th - how ironic now)

My problem is the 17 year old won’t come away for 3 weeks, he has said he’ll come for 2 instead.

I posted on here asking how easy that is to do, have him fly out with us and fly back on a different date, and was re-assured by the responses and just how many people do it and how fairly straight forward it is.

Fast forward to today (after checking flights madly, like we all have on various apps and websites) I’ve found a price I’m okay with, not what I wanted initially but far better than what I’ve been faced with up until now price wise. (That’s for the 4 of us)

My problem is I can’t get the same price or more importantly the same outward flight even for my son. I’m prepared to pay a higher price for him i’d Just prefer to get him on the same outbound flight as us I’ve tried via the app I saw the flights on and direct with the flight company website.

If I were to book flights for us the only thing I can do is book an entirely different route for my son (I should say we would be flying into tampa, which narrows the options somewhat)

All flights are indirect as expected, my son is not worldly at all, he’s talking about going away to uni which baffles me really but maybe I it will be the making of him.

I kind of hoped that if he experienced indirect with us on the way out, he’d be better doing it on his own on the way back) the thought of him doing indirect on his own for the first time scares me a bit (because I know what he’s like)

With him being 17 on the way out, if he was to fly alone would he be able to get any assistance from the airline as a minor if I asked?

God I’m sorry this was a longer post than anticipated, I’m am SO stressed right now and that’s so not like me when it comes to Florida holidays usually!

Any help, advice or to be honest, just tell me to calm down, that’s fine too! 🤣🤦🏻👍🏻

Colette
Our 1st Magical Disney Holiday!
Never Mind Epricot Trip report Oct 11
All Star Music and Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando June 2009
Sunset Lakes DIBB villa & HRH 15th October 2011
Esprit DIBB Villa 17 June 2014
Dubai Trip Report - just the 2 of us 30 Nov 2011
Introducing Queen P to Orlando June 2014 Report plenty of offsite delights food report June 2014
col2501 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sorry to hear of your predicament. Being a parent is so hard. I have a feeling that finding an outbound flight could be because of his age. How did you do your search? Did you specify his age or just left it at one adult?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

My son flew back from LA on his own at 17. He like your son had originally only wanted to go on holiday for 2 weeks, while we were going for four. His dad could only get 2 weeks off work so he was due to fly home with him. A couple of months before we left he changed his mind and wanted to stay the whole four weeks!
I called BA who wanted a ridiculous amount to change his flight, and ended up booking him on a separate flight the day before, I think with Thomas Cook. I had to phone to book as he was under 18 at the time but it was a direct flight so I wasn't worried about assistance, he managed fine but I don't think I would have trusted him on an indirect on his own, there is just too much that could go wrong. What if he missed his connection or the flight was cancelled?
If I were you I would try to get him to change his mind, (not easy I know!), or consider putting him on a direct flight from a different airport.
Good Luck.
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Sorry to hear of your predicament. Being a parent is so hard. I have a feeling that finding an outbound flight could be because of his age. How did you do your search? Did you specify his age or just left it at one adult?
I left it as 1 adult, he will be 18 (by 5 whole days) on the return flight , I’m hoping beyond all hope he will decide to come for 3 weeks with us, but I can see him saying, I just won’t come then rather than come for 3 😞

Colette
Introducing Queen P to Orlando June 2014 Report plenty of offsite delights food report June 2014
col2501 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
col2501
VIP Dibber

col2501's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by ozzyowl1 View Post
My son flew back from LA on his own at 17. He like your son had originally only wanted to go on holiday for 2 weeks, while we were going for four. His dad could only get 2 weeks off work so he was due to fly home with him. A couple of months before we left he changed his mind and wanted to stay the whole four weeks!
I called BA who wanted a ridiculous amount to change his flight, and ended up booking him on a separate flight the day before, I think with Thomas Cook. I had to phone to book as he was under 18 at the time but it was a direct flight so I wasn't worried about assistance, he managed fine but I don't think I would have trusted him on an indirect on his own, there is just too much that could go wrong. What if he missed his connection or the flight was cancelled?
If I were you I would try to get him to change his mind, (not easy I know!), or consider putting him on a direct flight from a different airport.
Good Luck.
That’s exactly it, so much can go wrong on a indirect flight can’t it, he just won’t cope with it, I am hoping when I talk about this with him he will decide to come for 3 but I know really the chances of this happening are extremely low.

Funny you should say about other airports I’m at the point of searching Mco for him thinking if timings are close we can pick him up on the way... prices are extortionate though!

Thanks for your reply though it is helpful

Colette
Old 12 Jan 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you are booking directly with the airline anyway - have you tried to do booking over phone instead? I find that if the booking is less than straightforward that they are often able to help
Old 12 Jan 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Would definitely speak to the airline direct, or, perhaps a travel agent. They maybe able to hold one lot of flights while booking the other.

If it comes to it, I'm sure your son will be fine. Going indirect isn't as tricky as it's often made out to be. It just has a couple (at worst) of additional steps. As long as he understands how to find his second flight number on departure boards he'll be fine. I would think carefully about which airports to route him through though. I've found Atlanta (although huge) and Philadelphia really easy with lots of helpful staff about.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

He can go with you on a single ticket, and get a Thomas Cook flight around 14 days later one way MCO to MAN direct for about £600(ish)
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
I would do it on the phone as well, at least you will have reassurance of his flights that way. Hope you find what you want x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Reading through the thread the problem is not you getting flights for your party but more an issue as to you not thinking your 18 year old will be able to navigate the airports and deal with flight changes ect.

If you feel your son does not have the ability to cope with any mishaps or even to just cope with the plane change at airports then the answer is simple do not do it.

If you feel he is capable of doing it then just try and book him a flight that will cause the least convenience dont make the lay over to long but also do not make it to short he will panic and have to rush.

Is this a case of your not letting go and giving him credit for what he may do with out problem ? ( After all we all keep our children close to look after them )