Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 25 Mar 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

Disney Value Resorts

Hi,

My hubby and I have always stopped at Saratoga Springs with the free dining plan. However next year we are visiting WDW with some friends and their little boy and they want me to plan the trip.

We all want to stay on site and I have quite a tight budget to work to so have been looking at various options. The deluxe resorts will be a no go so it's between a moderate resort (upgrading to DDP from the QS plan) or a value resort (and buying the DDP).

Having a rough look at the prices the value resort seems the best option to go for price-wise and will allow extra money for spending.

What are peoples thoughts on the value resorts?

I'm drawn to two rooms at All Star Movies. I really like the look of Art of Animation, especially as the skyliner will be open, but looking at this year prices it's coming out as expensive as a moderate resort - is this normal or just because i'm looking at this year so there is limited availability?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I know nothing about the Value resorts.

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We stayed at 2 of the value resorts (Music & Movies) when my DD (now 23) was tiny and loved it there. I wouldn't buy the DDP though, it's really not good value, you'll spend far less just paying as you go.

Her favourite was movies because of the giant characters!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
The Duchess
Apprentice Imagineer

We stayed at Sports and really liked it.

At certain times the All stars share buses and when this happens, sports is first on and off the bus which is a bonus.

I've gone for AOA this time (for the theming really DD loves Ariel) as got a good deal through netflights last year, but wouldn't hesitate to stay at sports again.

I Drive -1990 / Windsor Hills 2008
Vegas - 2014
Spandau in Dubai 40th b day trip - 2015
3 weeks all Star sports\ cabana bay 2016
The Duchess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
scotpod
Apprentice Imagineer

scotpod's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi there
I now always choose a value resort usually sports (as it is the first drop off/pick up from the values), although I have stayed in all 3 value resorts.

I have stayed in moderate before and never had any issues or problems.
However, as I now travel solo, I felt my money was better spent in the values. The way I looked at it was I only need a bed and shower as most of the day is spent out and about

The rooms had all that I needed - although they did not have a coffee maker, but it wasnt an issue to pop over to the food court. They had table, chairs, fridge, small safe, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, clock, over bath shower etc.

They had two pools with small paddling areas for little ones. They also had small play park areas dotted around the resort.

The food court had quite a variety and pizza delivery and the mug refill station. There was also an arcade area and a decent gift shop which sold everything from clothes to medicines! Daily housekeeping.

There was always planned activities on during the day and "movies under the stars" at night.

It is easy to walk between all 3 of the value resorts if you want to see and visit their pools, food court and shops. The parks now have separate stops for each of the resorts, however instead of waiting for your specific hotel, you could just jump on the first value resort bus and walk back to your on arrival!

I would now always stay in a value resort to keep costs down and have never had any problems. Staff always friendly and helpful, clean room, good transport. Cant wait till I am back there in September

Hope this helps

Edited at 01:12 PM.
scotpod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
If you are on a budget then I'm not sure that buying the DDP is a particularly good option.

We have stayed at ASMo ASMu and Pop and they were fine. I liked ASMo best for the theming. Last time we went it was pretty much the same price to get a Moderate hotel as it was to get a Budget and add on QSDP so I booked POFQ which was lovely. Not sure I could go back to a Budget now but I know many people do.

Again though, if going on a budget I would question buying DDP.
Old 25 Mar 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

You might want to give the Pop Century a look. Cheaper than AoA, and shares the same Skyliner station.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I love Pop - as you can see from my signature I've stayed there multiple times (and currently have a very provisional room only booking at Pop for November).

Why Pop over other values (for me):
- Single dedicated bus stop (the All Stars occasionally share buses are off peak times. Pop very very occasionally shares buses with AoA but this is very rare).
- Recent refurbishment - the new rooms are fantastic. (I believe ASMo has also been recently refurbished and the other All Stars are in line for refurbishment though)
- Decent location - it's pretty much central WDW. I found it took a bit longer to get from the All Stars to Disney Springs for example. Not a huge deal though.
- Excellent food court and you can also access the AoA food court by walking across the bridge.
- Skyliner? Whenever it comes up...

In terms of Pop vs AoA - they are very similar in their advantages (both have single dedicated bus stops, and they are right next to each other). However the rooms at AoA haven't been refurbished since AoA opened a few years ago so will be more dated. Also, if you want single rooms at AoA, your only option is the Little Mermaid block, which is a decent trek from the bus stop/food court/etc.

I've only stayed at one moderate (CSR) but to be honest I think I preferred Pop to it. Didn't quite like how spread out CSR was and how many bus stops there were in one resort.

In terms of comparing Pop to deluxe... Well there is certainly a difference in how nice the resort and rooms are (no interior corridors, many buildings spread out across one resort). I think it really depends on how much time you spend at the resort. I usually go solo and spend very minimal time at the resort so Pop works great for me... the one time I stayed deluxe at WDW I felt incredibly guilty for not spending more time at the resort! However I definitely feel you get more bang for the buck at Pop than at any other deluxe which is why I keep staying at Pop. (I then use my savings from staying at Pop to splurge on things like signature dining, tours, souvenirs...)
Old 25 Mar 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
@Sky13. Funnily enough Pop was my least favourite resort. Don't know why, just didn't get a good vibe at all during our stay there.

Just goes to show, what's right for one is not right for another.
Old 25 Mar 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post

we have stayed at various wdw resorts ( you can see them in my sig )

ASmovies and POP were both great, if i had a choice i would choose ASmovies as the themeing was outstanding

having said that, POP was very nice and of course has the skyliner station
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you for your advice guys!

We certainly want the DDP. My husband and I tend to visit the more expensive restaurants through our trip and find it saves us a lot of money being on the DDP. The DDP works out around $55 per person per day and we can easily rack up a food bill of £150 plus so works well for us. Especially with the free alcoholic beverage you get now.

I think I will price up several resorts when the free dining comes out next month and see what options we have.

As much as I adore Saratoga Springs our friends budget just can't stretch that far. I also agree that I feel bad not using the amenities at Saratoga considering the price we pay for it. Anyway, the option to book a villa at Saratoga Springs with the free dining plan is no longer available as WDW have changed some booking rules. The only way to book Saratoga is to wait until November when the free dining offer has ended. This was new news to me last week and had it confirmed by various companies.

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List