Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Mar 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Holidays in school when contract is year round

If you work at a school in a non-class support role like admin and your role is contracted as full year, do you have to take your allocated holiday in school holiday time?
If so, I just wonder what the benefits are really, pay is lower than other similar roles and your holiday is really restricted and to the most expensive time.

Thanks
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

My sisters bf is IT support on a big private school, they get 4/5 weeks holiday but has to be taken in the school holidays save an odd day here and there. But not any better paid then an It person working for a different company.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Leggibone View Post
My sisters bf is IT support on a big private school, they get 4/5 weeks holiday but has to be taken in the school holidays save an odd day here and there. But not any better paid then an It person working for a different company.
Thanks - that’s what I thought- lots of people choose admin type roles at schools even though they aren’t well paid as term time only fits nicely with families. The role I’ve seen is a Data Manager role which I know they would also want you around during exam results in August so further restricted. My youngest child is in year 11 so soon we won’t be restricted to school holidays so would be stupid to get myself restricted now!
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

My contract is done so I get the same wage for 12 months rather than not getting paid over school hols etc. I have never heard of being able to take holidays in term time.

You only work around 38 weeks of a year so pay will never be the same as someone working a none term time job. The benefits are really to get the school holidays off.
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I worked in an FE College prior to retirement. Admin staff were not tied to College holidays generally, but had much less holiday time. The only restriction was that they had to take days when the College building was closed to everyone (for example between Christmas and New Year).

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Susan62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve worked in the school office for 22 years now, so I’m on what I consider to be a good salary for the hours that I work ; 21 pw. I do get cheap holidays/flights to Florida but I really do have to shop around and it becomes a mission. My children are grown up now and most of my friends still work in schools, so I’m always really busy in the holidays, plus I can spend extra time with my elderly parents, so at the moment it still suits.
Susan62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

you would need to check with the school what the contractual terms are as I am aware that some support people are fixed to none term time holidays , but some other roles which they need in for tasks which have to be done outside of school time have contracts which allow you to take X weeks in term and Y weeks out of term time.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

The admin at our school had the majority of school holidays off but had to work ten days of those school holidays but she could pick when. To me having the school holidays off is a god send after working for years for a company when trying to get annual leave was so stressful - I prefer to pay more knowing I definitely know when I am off but I appreciate that is not for everyone.