Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Sep 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melvin Pearce View Post
My daughter and her boyfriend went to Hatton Garden, looked around and spoke to a number of jewelery stores.
Then Jon went back and choose the store he liked the most who made a diamonds and sapphire ring, he choose the stones and was informed with each stage it was made.
Let's say our daughter loved it.

Melvin and Lesley
Lovely 😊 Do you know which store it was? I can imagine Hatton Garden being a bit of a mine field 😬
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I had a diamond a pink sapphire ring made earlier this year, I used a jeweller at Hatton garden, really pleased with the diamond, it is GIA certified so I feel confident with the stone I bought. I went for the best quality I could afford rather than biggest, but we spent a lot of time going through the stones available and went back for repeat visits until I was certain with what I’d picked.

Photo doesn’t do it justice, but I’ll show it off anyway

Lovely ring 🙂 Can I ask what shop you went to? Trying to narrow down a few places!
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

For those that have bought diamonds in Dubai, can I ask where you went for them? Thanks!
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by srh View Post
I have bought diamonds in Dubai and had them made into rings. I have also bought 'off the shelf' in Dubai.

You must haggle and be prepared to walk away. I research to see how much a diamond would cost on a site like Blue Nile in the UK. Look for the colour, cut and clarity as well as the carat.

Don't buy an uncertified diamond and go for the best quality you can.

My jewelry has been valued at two and a half to three times purchase price, but I bought when the exchange rate was better. Also when valued back in the UK it will be for insurance not resale value.
Were the diamonds you bought in Dubai still cheaper than Blue Nile? They’re pretty competitive prices I think.
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Mobile

I love it there!
I love looking at the photos on the wall, all the sparkle, counters strewn with jewelry.

Last time I was there I bought my eternity ring and they let me loose on the rings in the shop. Told me to try on anything I liked while they sorted everything out. So I tried on the two most expensive rings in the shop. They were enormous diamonds but just looked like glass - not real.

Then they took me round the workshop and finally drove husband and I back to our hotel.

That just wouldn't happen here in the UK and I didn't spend millions!
Same! When we bought my engagement ring we chose the diamond and took it away wothbis. They then picked us up and took us back a few days later when my setting was made and took me to the workshop to watch the diamond being put in. Every time we go now they take us up to the workshop to get them cleaned 😂

These are my Dubai diamonds
MrsB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Were the diamonds you bought in Dubai still cheaper than Blue Nile? They’re pretty competitive prices I think.
I’ve never looked on Blie Nile but my diamond from Dubai was incredibly well priced. Plus the experience is fab.
MrsB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Just looked on Blue Nile for something similar to compare to and mine was around £1500 cheaper in Dubai but that was 8 years ago.
Old 12 Sep 18, 01:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I have bought diamonds in Dubai and had them made into rings. I have also bought 'off the shelf' in Dubai.

You must haggle and be prepared to walk away. I research to see how much a diamond would cost on a site like Blue Nile in the UK. Look for the colour, cut and clarity as well as the carat.

Don't buy an uncertified diamond and go for the best quality you can.

My jewelry has been valued at two and a half to three times purchase price, but I bought when the exchange rate was better. Also when valued back in the UK it will be for insurance not resale value.
Your last sentance should be in bold! Insurance valuations are always higher than the price you pay in the shop regardless of where you buy it.
Old 12 Sep 18, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner I wouldn't dream of going anywhere except Hatton Garden for proper jewellery.
The Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham was even bigger than HG when DH trained there years ago. It probably still is as a lot of the manufacturers etc are getting pushed out of London by solicitors etc moving into HG and paying higher rents.
Old 14 Sep 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ll check out some of the places here before I go to Dubai. It will be interesting to see the price differences.